Getting to Cayo Levantando

drbmd

We'll be in Samana on Feb. 2nd with NCL Dawn and are interested in going to Cayo Levantando for the day. NCL offers an excursion for $45 per person, but we're wondering if we could take a private water taxi from Samana to the island more cheaply. Is the island closed to any private vessels landing other than the cruise line's own excursions? Any past experiences or advise to share?

Welcome to the cruise critic boards

Come on over to our roll call if you would like.

I have read on these boards that NCL is the only way to get to Caya Levantado. They sort of have a lock on that resort so that ppl can't get off the ship and find a cheaper way to get there.

If you want to go on the private excursion to Playa Rincon with Casa Dorado we just had 1 couple cancel so have space for 2 people with our group. If you are interested and don't want to go to the roll call you can e mail me at kewestbrook at yahoo

Hi,

I was in Samana with NCL in 2007. It was my first time there and it was a last minute port change so I did not do any research. We opted to do a "Safari tour" through NCL and it was NOT enjoyable. Later in the day, we spoke to another passenger who went to Cayo on their own and said it was the best beach he had ever been to. He said he just took a water taxi over (can't recall how much he paid but it was MUCH less than $45/person and it was very easy.

I just spoke to someone at work that came stopped in Samana and she said she went through NCL because she was told she would not have prioirty disembarkation and would get to Cayo very late if she did not book the excursion through NCL.

In any case, I am stopping there on my Explorer cruise and hope to do it on my own. I am going to try to get some more info and post it here if I do. I am sure RCL charges what NCL does and I am not looking forward to paying that rate for 5 of us!

Hi,

I was in Samana with NCL in 2007. It was my first time there and it was a last minute port change so I did not do any research. We opted to do a "Safari tour" through NCL and it was NOT enjoyable. Later in the day, we spoke to another passenger who went to Cayo on their own and said it was the best beach he had ever been to. He said he just took a water taxi over (can't recall how much he paid but it was MUCH less than $45/person and it was very easy.

I just spoke to someone at work that came stopped in Samana and she said she went through NCL because she was told she would not have prioirty disembarkation and would get to Cayo very late if she did not book the excursion through NCL.

In any case, I am stopping there on my Explorer cruise and hope to do it on my own. I am going to try to get some more info and post it here if I do. I am sure RCL charges what NCL does and I am not looking forward to paying that rate for 5 of us!

Please read this thread before you make your decision. 2007 was a long time ago. Things have changed.

Archived