bad reviews on pacific sun

harmony71

To anyone contemplating cruising on Pacific Sun, my advise is if you are looking for a fun time then do it but if every little thing annoys you then don't do it.

Jenny

I do think to be fair to all cruise lines yuo could say that about all of the cruise lines (if every little thing annoys you then don't do it.)

Honestly, I don't know why people make negative comments about the Pacific Sun and are keen to see 'riddance' of her from the fleet, when they haven't cruised on her and have no intention of doing so.

Jenny

Jenny,

Very well said. People what is wrong with Pacific Sun? Sure she is not the newest most glamourous ship in the world, but honestly I would sail on her in preferance to Oasis of the Seas anyday, and I truly mean that.

I find that when people critisise various ships or operators it is interesting to look through their list of past cruising and voyaging experience, I think it says a lot about the attitudes of people to their travel experience. I think the 'Champagne Tastes on a Beer Budget' statement rings very true for many commentators here, they want the newest and best ships, however are really not prepared to pay for it.

Any date given for riddance of Pacific Sun from the fleet?

Pacific Sun was launched as MS Jubilee (Holiday class ship) for Carnival in 1986, so she is just about 25 years young !

I think why she is accepted by Aussies is due to the fact for many Aussies going on PS, it is their first cruise, nothing to compare with.

I have not been on PS, so will refrain from comment, but have friends who have, some thought it bad, somethought it OK.

The ship truly is past it's best, it should be scuppered, we went on it a couple of years ago. Most of the ship smelt of sewage. The air con didn't work. The staff were fantastic, I felt sorry for them.

Honestly, I don't know why people make negative comments about the Pacific Sun and are keen to see 'riddance' of her from the fleet, when they haven't cruised on her and have no intention of doing so.

All the negative comments I read on this forum about her very nearly made me cancel our cruise on her, but a few comments from knowledgeable repeat cruisers stopped me from switching. Believe me I am so glad I didn't change my booking.

We traveled on her in September and had a fantastic time!!!:)

Sure she's not new/fancy/glitzy but she offers a great family holiday. we would book on her again in a heartbeat and would be very sorry to see her go, when the time comes.

She has a great fun vibe/atmosphere, fantastic crew who couldn't do enough for you, good and plentiful food, heaps of activities, large roomy cabins, and an amazing Kids club. She was spotless and was being constantly being cleaned and polished (both Public Areas and cabins), clean fresh linen.

Not all of us think that huge/glitzy/flash/fancy/formal/brand new make the best cruise holiday.

To anyone contemplating cruising on Pacific Sun, my advise is if you are looking for a fun time then do it but if every little thing annoys you then don't do it.

Jenny

Jenny,

Very well said. People what is wrong with Pacific Sun? Sure she is not the newest most glamourous ship in the world, but honestly I would sail on her in preferance to Oasis of the Seas anyday, and I truly mean that.

I find that when people critisise various ships or operators it is interesting to look through their list of past cruising and voyaging experience, I think it says a lot about the attitudes of people to their travel experience. I think the 'Champagne Tastes on a Beer Budget' statement rings very true for many commentators here, they want the newest and best ships, however are really not prepared to pay for it.

It's great to see some posts like this! I know several people who have travelled repeatedly on this ship AND THEY HAVE ALSO TRAVELLED ON THE SUPPOSEDLY 'YOU BEAUT' SHIPS overseas, yet they still love the Pacific Sun and her great crew. These, I believe, are the discerning people who can see past the glitz and pizzazz and see the true value of a cruising experience, be it on a 5-star or a 3-star ship.

Incidentally, I have never heard any of them say the Sun smells of sewage. That was probably a one-off occurrence, which can happen on any ship! Especially when careless passengers throw the wrong things down the toilets!

The ship truly is past it's best, it should be scuppered, we went on it a couple of years ago. Most of the ship smelt of sewage. The air con didn't work. The staff were fantastic, I felt sorry for them.

Hmmm, a very interesting generalization. I just checked some recent posts on this forum and found the same complaints regarding sewage and A/C issues on the following ships in the last couple of months :

Carnival Miracle (2004)

Prinsendam (1988)

Oosterdam (2003)

Norwegian Jewel (2005)

Radiance of the Seas (2001) and

Oasis of the Seas (2009).

(I could go on and on if you want me too)

Are all these ships also passed there use by dates?:confused: I think not, that thinking is not very logical.

As Sandy mentioned sewage problems and smells on cruise ships are almost exclusively caused by the stupid and inappropriate things some passengers flush down their toilets and are not something that you can actually blame the ship for.

By the way Pacific Sun was fine when we were on her.

Jenny

Hmmm, a very interesting generalization. I just checked some recent posts on this forum and found the same complaints regarding sewage and A/C issues on the following ships in the last couple of months :

Carnival Miracle (2004)

Prinsendam (1988)

Oosterdam (2003)

Norwegian Jewel (2005)

Radiance of the Seas (2001) and

Oasis of the Seas (2009).

(I could go on and on if you want me too)

Are all these ships also passed there use by dates?:confused: I think not, that thinking is not very logical.

As Sandy mentioned sewage problems and smells on cruise ships are almost exclusively caused by the stupid and inappropriate things some passengers flush down their toilets and are not something that you can actually blame the ship for.

By the way Pacific Sun was fine when we were on her.

Jenny

any if you cheaked the Pacific Sun has had problems with the A/C and sewage problems ever since she has started her role in Australia. and thats a fact.

Love Thied

Any cruising day beats a day at work regardless of ship. We loved Pacific Sun, nice roomy cabins, friendly staff, good food, ship was clean and or being cleaned 24 x 7. Sure it isn't 4 star and above so what we had a great time.

Some people really do expect a bit much.

Hi Jason, when's your next one? We're off to try the Pearl in Feb (not enough room on the balcony to host a sailaway though:eek:) and a couple more booked after that - Rhapsody for the world cup and Radiance up to Honolulu.

Hope you, Jen and the kids are all well.

People generally have made some interesting comments. I for one, love cruising - and even an old tub is better than flying around in a tin can for this little bunny.

Cheers

Di

While I'm not a fan of the Pacific Sun for a number of reasons, and in comparison to any of the main alternatives, it does provide good entertainment and it also the more likely to have the best price, likely due to its competition.

If it's your first taste, it's certainly fine to try - just keep in mind there are differences between ships; it's not just a case of choosing the destination and cabin, and everything else between ships will be the same.

I think why she is accepted by Aussies is due to the fact for many Aussies going on PS, it is their first cruise, nothing to compare with.

I have not been on PS, so will refrain from comment, but have friends who have, some thought it bad, somethought it OK.

HELLO! Pacific Sun was our 4th cruise (Sapphire Princess being our 2nd) 3 weeks ago we disembarked Pacific Sun for the 4th time & overall it was the BEST cruise of our 8 (maybe not including Alaska LOL), so the above is a strangely vague & unsubstantiated assumption. I agree with everything Jenny has said. :D

I have just done the Christmas Cruise out of Sydney this time on the Pacific Sun and have nothing but praise this time around.There were a lot of younger people on there compared to the Brisbane departure I got back in December 2008 and having the anytime or your choice dining option to meet new people at mealtimes was a bonus instead of them choosing your table with the early or late meal option where they did not take my age into account at the time and put me with a bunch of people I was so incompatible with.Made plenty of friends on board too on this cruise n042 and so many activities with everyone and would do it again either on the Sun with a different or possibly the Jewel.My tip to the under 40's who are not traveling with families is avoid going out of Brisbane at all times on any ship unless you happen to live in Queensland or for those with Children you can't get one out of Sydney due to the limited numbers of vacancies they can fill up.Basically there are not a lot of options in our region for a cruise You either go on the Pacific Sun,Dawn or Jewel or fly to Singapore and go on Superstar Virgo for similar money.I am too young to even consider Princess by the way.

My best cruise was the one I did on the Pacific Sun in August last year. I am an experienced cruiser having done Carnival, P&O, Princess and Royal Caribbean. I recently cruised on Mariner of the Seas and whilst the ship has plenty to do and is relatively young in comparisson to the Sun, it did not have the atmosphere that the Pacific sun has. The staff I met on the Pacific Sun were amazing, the food was excellent, there was always something to do. I have back to back cruises booked for March and i'm really looking forward to cruising on her again :D:D:D.

HELLO! Pacific Sun was our 4th cruise (Sapphire Princess being our 2nd) 3 weeks ago we disembarked Pacific Sun for the 4th time & overall it was the BEST cruise of our 8 (maybe not including Alaska LOL), so the above is a strangely vague & unsubstantiated assumption. I agree with everything Jenny has said. :D

Hi Anne & Allan - Happy NY to you both!

You know how much we enjoyed our first cruise on the Pacific Sun! The kids are still talking about it 10 months on!

We are off on Costa Classica (departing Singapore) this Sat 8/1. So I guess you could say we have "caught the cruising bug"! Although there is no way anything can beat the Pacific Sun (according to my 12 yo son Will!)! He won't even consider it!!!! (Looks like we could be in for a long 8 day cruise......) ;)

Cheers

Mel

Hi, like others who have cruised many times, and been on Pacific Sun some 8 times...I can offer an opinion of same.

The only downside for PS, is there is no fridge...and that can be overcome.

The ship may be old, but she can hold her own to most newer ships around. The food is great, the shows are great,and the crew is the best.

I really can't fathom out how people can have such an opinion about a ship, when they haven't been on her...???

maybe they should try cruising on Pacific Sun, then offer an opinion.

PS...Hi Anne and Allan....

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Hi Di,

I'm sorry to report we have nothing booked right now :(

We're adding an outdoor entertainment area to our house and it is taking up about 18 months worth of our cruising budget.

Late 2012 or January 2013 looks promising as our eldest is now at high school and we have to work around that limitation.

Family are all well, thank you very much for asking!

We very much miss cruising and would sail on anything going anywhere if the ship has a great crew and positive atmosphere.

Enjoy your cruises *insert jealous look* :D

Hi Anne & Allan - Happy NY to you both!

You know how much we enjoyed our first cruise on the Pacific Sun! The kids are still talking about it 10 months on!

We are off on Costa Classica (departing Singapore) this Sat 8/1. So I guess you could say we have "caught the cruising bug"! Although there is no way anything can beat the Pacific Sun (according to my 12 yo son Will!)! He won't even consider it!!!! (Looks like we could be in for a long 8 day cruise......) ;)

Cheers

Mel

Hi Mel & Mike I just caught up with this message, so hope you read this before you cruise. Wow a Costa cruise out of Singapore should be awesome. Hope an 8 day cruise is long enough for Will LOL. We actually find it hard to get off a ship in anything less than 10 nights nowadays :)

Our email address is allanmclennan@gmail.com in case you'd like to tell us about Costa Cruises :)

Have a fabulous time.

Hi, like others who have cruised many times, and been on Pacific Sun some 8 times...I can offer an opinion of same.

The only downside for PS, is there is no fridge...and that can be overcome.

The ship may be old, but she can hold her own to most newer ships around. The food is great, the shows are great,and the crew is the best.

I really can't fathom out how people can have such an opinion about a ship, when they haven't been on her...???

maybe they should try cruising on Pacific Sun, then offer an opinion.

PS...Hi Anne and Allan....

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Hi Lorraine :D Hope you had a great Christmas & Happy Cruisey New Year

Hi Mel & Mike I just caught up with this message, so hope you read this before you cruise. Wow a Costa cruise out of Singapore should be awesome. Hope an 8 day cruise is long enough for Will LOL. We actually find it hard to get off a ship in anything less than 10 nights nowadays :)

Our email address is allanmclennan@gmail.com in case you'd like to tell us about Costa Cruises :)

Have a fabulous time.

Hi Anne & Allan

Thanks for your contact details, we will be in touch on our return.

Best wishes

Mike & Mel

• 6 months later...

I could not agree more, re the Pacific Sun, it must be the worse ship in the fleet, and them changing the itinery @ the drop of a Hat happens all the time, and so does the Dawn & Sun Princess,

and can you tell me has any one ever seen Mystery Island been on my Itinery 3 times yet to see it,

I will add thouwe went on the Dawn Princess Last November and the food was some of the best we have ever had, our friends , recently went on the Cherry Blossum cruise same boat and it was bad to say the least.of all the P&O boats I would Rate the Pacific Dawn as one of there best,there is something about the way the ship is set out,that you have little difulculty getting around a very nice Lay out, but it too has trouble with the food quality , the entertain ment has always been reasonable , more sr if you have Adam Gadair as the entertainments manager, regardsTurbs.

I could not agree more, re the Pacific Sun, it must be the worse ship in the fleet, and them changing the itinery @ the drop of a Hat happens all the time, and so does the Dawn & Sun Princess,

and can you tell me has any one ever seen Mystery Island been on my Itinery 3 times yet to see it,

I will add thouwe went on the Dawn Princess Last November and the food was some of the best we have ever had, our friends , recently went on the Cherry Blossum cruise same boat and it was bad to say the least.of all the P&O boats I would Rate the Pacific Dawn as one of there best,there is something about the way the ship is set out,that you have little difulculty getting around a very nice Lay out, but it too has trouble with the food quality , the entertain ment has always been reasonable , more sr if you have Adam Gadair as the entertainments manager, regardsTurbs.

Have been on 9 cruises which have been to Mystery Island and have only missed it once due to rough conditions, this was on Pacific Dawn. Robin:)

I went on the Sun in February and had a fabulous time! Sure, the ship is getting old, but it didn't worry me. It was comfortable and everyone I spoke to on board enjoyed it. With regards to itineraries, we visited all of the ports we were meant to, including Mystery Island. It was beautiful! I wouldn't hesitate to go on Pacific Sun again. :)

Have been on 9 cruises which have been to Mystery Island and have only missed it once due to rough conditions, this was on Pacific Dawn. Robin:)

I agree with you.. We have been to South Pacific on 5 cruises. 4 of them had Mystery Island on itiniery and 4 times we went there :) Fiona

We've only missed Mystery Island once out of 5 times but even then we spent a few hours looking at it at least. They can't control the weather. We had a 20day b2b cruise on Pacific Sun. They have the best food, the best crew, great cabins, great entertainment. When you've done a few cruises you realize its manily the crew that make your cruise enjoyable, not whether the ship is old or smelly. Out of 12 cruises I have twice endured the smell because of idiots blocking the loos, once on the Pacific Sun and once on the Dawn Princess, so it can happen on any ship.

It is a great ship and I personally don't get why there are so many bad reviews.I have had worse holidays than going on the Pacific Sun Cruising in my lifetime that are too numerous to list.

For about similar money as a week in Singapore or Hong Kong You are getting a lot more for the money such as free meals,entertainment a chance to make new friends/meet new people,an inbuilt nightclub to name but a few features plus many daily activities to keep you occupied so I don't understand what you are all complaining about.I have done the traditional Asian Holiday in the past and it just doesn't compare.

I still love the Pacific Sun too :).

As for Mystery Island - i've made it their 6 out of 6 times, now Ouvea is still the Mystery to me having missed it twice due to polictical unrest:rolleyes: :(.

Archived