bad reviews on pacific sun

harmony71

Tell me how the Jewel goes everyone and see how it compares to the Sun:):(

Also going to be doing Carnival Spirit in 2012 so will be interesting to see how that compares being a lot newer than any of the existing P&O Ships:)

The one of the lot that I would avoid at any cost unless you have a thing for Asian Cruises out of Singapore and have either a family with kids or are over the age of 40 is Superstar Virgo They are a nice product but not really aimed at the Australian Market.

Tell me how the Jewel goes everyone and see how it compares to the Sun:):(

Also going to be doing Carnival Spirit in 2012 so will be interesting to see how that compares being a lot newer than any of the existing P&O Ships:)

The one of the lot that I would avoid at any cost unless you have a thing for Asian Cruises out of Singapore and have either a family with kids or are over the age of 40 is Superstar Virgo They are a nice product but not really aimed at the Australian Market.

Pacific Sun is a lot more solid than Carnival Spirit- Decor more upmarket and more substantial- Carnival are cheap ships

But Carnival has cheaper balconies and in the USA MUCH CHEAPER FARES

Pacific Sun is a lot more solid than Carnival Spirit- Decor more upmarket and more substantial- Carnival are cheap ships

But Carnival has cheaper balconies and in the USA MUCH CHEAPER FARES

That's interesting, Oysterfiend. :) I was thinking only just yesterday how the Pacific Sun keeps on quietly taking cruisers on those wonderful Asian cruises from Fremantle. If there was anything much wrong with her I don't think they would be travelling those distances.

That's interesting, Oysterfiend. :) I was thinking only just yesterday how the Pacific Sun keeps on quietly taking cruisers on those wonderful Asian cruises from Fremantle. If there was anything much wrong with her I don't think they would be travelling those distances.

We have been on Carnival Spirit and Carnival Splendor-

Remember Carnival Splendor Broke down on way to Mexico and had to be towed to Port at Ensenada I think??

The Pacific Sun was built for Carnival and was in service to carnival lines from 1986-2004, from which Carnivil cruise lines sold her to P&O Australia in 2004.

I work in the Industry and I pretty much won't book people on the Sun. I did do an inspection and it looks a bit tired. Had lunch on there which was excellent but with so many problems of late its best to avoid the Sun. We had clients who were on it when they had troubles in NZ and that was enough for our Business.

I'd still have a good time on the ship but giving my location (Newcastle) the Sun sails from Newcastle in Feb/Mar so its pretty hard to convince people otherwise until we tell them about the problems previously(not sure if I'm allowed to say my location).

We had clients who were on it when they had troubles in NZ and that was enough for our Business.

That's understandable. When cruises are cancelled, the passengers are often unhappy with the TA and the cruise line at the loss of their plans. Even aside from the extra work, no decent merchant enjoys it if their customers aren't happy.

That's understandable. When cruises are cancelled, the passengers are often unhappy with the TA and the cruise line at the loss of their plans. Even aside from the extra work, no decent merchant enjoys it if their customers aren't happy.

Yes, I, too, can understand your position as a TA, Round The Wolrld. Personally, though, I would go on the Pac Sun. When we first booked the Pac Dawn people would say disparagingly, "You're not going on a P&O ship are you?" Well I'm happy to say three cruises later we've enjoyed every one of them. AND we are looking forward to trying a Princess ship next year. :)

She hasn't been having troubles lately. Has been cruising back and forth to Asia. I haven't been on the P Sun, but if given the opportunity I would have no hesitation.

The ship had about 3 sailings back to back out of Newcastle, from memory, and each one had problems missing ports.

One of our clients said there was nearly a mutiny on the NZ Cruise so being a TA why would I risk it for my clients ?

Unless they want that particular ship I'll be honest and tell them the problems its had and what I think :)

The ship had about 3 sailings back to back out of Newcastle, from memory, and each one had problems missing ports.

One of our clients said there was nearly a mutiny on the NZ Cruise so being a TA why would I risk it for my clients ?

Unless they want that particular ship I'll be honest and tell them the problems its had and what I think :)

Yep, fair enough. I did say above I understood your point of view. :) I've read all the reviews, both good and bad and I was just saying I would still go on it though, as even the newer ships have their share of problems. :rolleyes:

We have been on the Pacific sun in 2009 where she lost all power and no em lights at all for six hrs and one hr out of suva, there was people just about ready to take to the life boats, The Captain was mr Carr, They could not anchor as it was to deep and we drifting back wards towards a reef.

It was 6 am with no lights at all through the ship staff running around with flash lights, tring to every one on decks, so if you were in an inside cabin and open your door to just balkness. lucky some people were smart and opened the out side cabin hall way doors to light some lights in.

The out back bar was covered in black soot from them tring restart the eng's.

so 6 hrs with not alot to door , eat, drinks because nothing work on the ship. and alot of un happy people.

Not true. We cruised out of Newcastle in February and had no mechanical dramas, and we didn't miss any ports either. Great ship, great crew and I think it's unfair of you to discriminate against the ship. :)

Not true. We cruised out of Newcastle in February and had no mechanical dramas, and we didn't miss any ports either. Great ship, great crew and I think it's unfair of you to discriminate against the ship. :)

We also cruised out of Newcastle on the Pacific Sun and had absolutely no problems.

We are happy to sail on the Sun and prefer her to the Jewel - but that is just personal opinion. We also like the Dawn but haven't tried the Pearl yet.

Yeah thats fair enough but its like Tiger Airways. People say they would rather save a few dollars and fly Tiger and then they get delayed and complain saying "I will never fly Tiger Airways" etc... Again another reason why I don't book Tiger Airways. Not worth the grief. Might be good most of the time but thats not good enough for myself or my clients. As some of you aware as soon as there are problems the finger usually gets pointed at the TA even when most of the time its out of our control. Those same people will fly Tiger again as well ;)

I've had clients who have had no problems whatsoever on the Sun and had a great experience. Then imagine if I booked a client on the Sun, didn't tell her about the problems which I'm fully aware of and then something happens and they hear its had previous problems ?

It happens in the Travel Industry and its not good sitting on the other side of the fence.

:)

I was on the Sun in January (N103N), and having not cruised previously, did not know what I was missing. Sure, the ship is obviously older, but not once did the decor or the interior of the ship get in the way of my holiday.

Getting on and off Tenders was slightly problematic, and the ground floor (level 3 I believe) did have a smell to it when boarding from the Tenders, but once you were through, and onto your own level, that was quickly forgotten.

We did have some slight mechanical problems on our 4th Night, leaving Noumea, heading to Lifou. We hit a storm, and the roughest seas we saw on our entire trip. Just before we went up for dinner, the captain (Lupo) came over the Intercom, letting us know that we were having some trouble with the Starboard engine, and we would be stopping in the water. We were also told not to panic, and that the problem would be fixed. After dinner, we noticed that we were hauling arse. The ship was going damn quick, but again, we took no notice, until, later that evening, after a few drinks, I remembered the Captain's announcement, and went out to the outside section of Terraces, and saw only one wash, from one propellor. We were braving a storm with one engine.

Nothing else went wrong with the ship for the remainder of the Ten night cruise. Again, never having been on a cruise before, we didn't know the difference. Maybe after we go on the Pearl in February, we can compare the two.

• 4 weeks later...

hi! I was on the sun in april. It WAS my first cruise so I didnt know what to expect. But I LOVED IT. I was with my nan who had cruised in her younger days when cruising was very romantic and upperclass so she did have higher standards than me. even though she made comments comparing it to 'her days' she had nothing negative to say about it (perhaps the only one was that it was smaller than ships she had been on?).

we were in one of the cheaper cabins with a window. and although we were in a small cabin and it was 4 people in it, it was clean and well maintained??? nothing dodgy at all?

My only complaint was ONE waiter who was rude to me because i wanted to sit with friends AFTER he had already seated me with other people. He was the ONLY rude person on the ship! lol. all of the p&o staff were lovely :)

I went on the Pacific sun and my first impressions were'nt great as i boarded and older ship, but I have to say I had one of the best holidays ever! go with an open mind! Don't let the minor things get to you, just brush them off and enjoy yourself!

Archived