Antigua on our own

jacksoncruisers

No excursions or tours on this stop. Want to do Nelsons Dockyard. What's the best way, cost wise to get there and back. Looking for good local seafood restaurant on the water for lunch Any suggestions ?

You can take a cab there and back--look for the official government taxi booth in the cruise shopping area before you get out into the main town. Or you can try your luck with a local, but they seem to be more interested in getting as many people as possible into their vehicle for an island tour than taking two people to a single location.

There are restaurants at Nelson's Dockyard. We didn't eat there, but someone else at our table did and said it was pleasant.

I believe the admission fee was about EC$13pp (US$5).

You may also wish to visit nearby Shirley's Heights, since your admission to Nelson's Dockayrd also gains you admission to that place as well. The views of English Bay and the surrounding countryside are beautiful, as you can see.

ENG_HRBR.jpg

Best bet for lunch is Catherine's Cafe, run by a couple from France. It is on the water, indeed is built out over the water. It's on the other side of the harbour and you can look back at the historic buildings. It gets really busy, especially on weekends so give them a call if you can.

Just got back from here and we did it on our own. Just walked off the ship, got past the first crush of hustlers, and made a deal with a taxi driver named Jarby. For $100 US we got him for the day. There was just 2 of us but if we had found another couple the price would have been the same. He drove us to Nelson's Dockyard (yes the admission is $5 US per person), waited while we explored this fascinating place and had lunch at the Admiral's Inn, up to Shirley Heights (what a view!!), and then on to a beach for a couple of hours. He was a very good guide and stopped anywhere we wanted to take pictures. He has a van that would accomodate at least 3 couples. I do have his email if you would like to set something up in advance.

Being on your own doesn't have to be hassle. There are lots of good driver/guides here if you just want to wing it.

Cathi

No excursions or tours on this stop. Want to do Nelsons Dockyard. What's the best way, cost wise to get there and back. Looking for good local seafood restaurant on the water for lunch Any suggestions ?

We were on the same cruise as Pepperwood. We also wanted to go just to Nelson's Dockyard and encountered all of the taxi drivers that wanted us to take their island tours rather than drive us to the dockyard. The "official" taxi price (they don't use meters) was $32 USD each way. One guy was willing to take us there for $10 each as soon as he filled his van but we decided we would be held captive and wind up on the tour anyway. When we walked to the end of the pedestrian mall and onto the street the price for the taxi jumped to $40 one way. We eventually found an elderly taxi driver willing to take us for $25 each way. His taxi was dilapitated, the a/c didn't work but he was friendly, honest and it was a beautiful day. The ride is 30-35 minutes which is why no one wants to just take you one way. When he dropped us off, my husband told him he would give him $20 now and $40 (including a $10 tip) if he returned for us at 1PM (it was 10:30AM). He agreed. There is a 20-minute brief tour included in the price which was $5 USD each after which all the cruise tours left and we wandered all around using the guide map from the ticket office. Make sure you go into the bakery behind the museum for the famous pineapple turnovers (delicious) which we ate at a picnic table over-looking the sailboats in the harbor. There are several outdoor restaurants but we opted to sit on the lovely outdoor terrace of the Old Admiral's inn. We had a wonderful lunch overlooking the beautiful harbor. My local snapper was delicious and freshly caught. Our taxi driver picked us up right on time and brought us back to the pedestrian mall where we had time for a drink and some shopping well before we had to board the ship. Don't be pushed around by the taxi drivers-they will all try to sell you on an island tour so they can load up their vans with 8-10 people at $25 pp. Try your luck out by the street. $25 one-way is a fair price but make sure you negotiate the return the way we did or you may be held hostage on the return. If you are truly adventurous, there are public buses (more like 15 person vans) that will take you there and back. I know that are captain and friend's did just that and he made it back to the ship in time (LOL). Good Luck!!

Just got back from here and we did it on our own. Just walked off the ship, got past the first crush of hustlers, and made a deal with a taxi driver named Jarby. For $100 US we got him for the day. There was just 2 of us but if we had found another couple the price would have been the same. He drove us to Nelson's Dockyard (yes the admission is $5 US per person), waited while we explored this fascinating place and had lunch at the Admiral's Inn, up to Shirley Heights (what a view!!), and then on to a beach for a couple of hours. He was a very good guide and stopped anywhere we wanted to take pictures. He has a van that would accomodate at least 3 couples. I do have his email if you would like to set something up in advance.

Being on your own doesn't have to be hassle. There are lots of good driver/guides here if you just want to wing it.

Cathi

This is a great thread..... thanks!

Cathi... your day is exactly what we are looking for!! :D

Did you go to Dickenson Beach?

Pepperwood... your photo is wonderful (we live in the same city)

Then you might be able to solve a problem I'm having... Since we got back, I've tried to take a bunch of outdoor shots, but the photos are just all white... Do you think there's something wrong with the camera? It was taking beautiful shots down in the Caribbean. :D

I at first answered your question... Being from Texas I did not get the joke. But upon seeing where you are from I know understand!!

That is my "reason for editing"

One question.... did anyone worry about getting back to the boat on time? Is there very much traffic?

We are thinking of booking with Gordon simply because I don't want to stress out and worry about a taxi not picking me up?

This is a great thread..... thanks!

Cathi... your day is exactly what we are looking for!! :D

Did you go to Dickenson Beach?

No we never did get to Dickenson Beach. We went to Turners Point on the southwest side of Antigua. It was on our way back from Nelson's Dockyard through the rain forest. There was a Carnival ship in port when we were there and there was a lot of people from that ship at this beach. I think one of their beach breaks was to this beach.

We discovered that if you ask your waiter and/or busboy in the dining room, they all know the best beaches on each of the islands. In fact you will probably meet some of the crew at the various beaches.

Enjoy Antigua - it's a great little island.

Cathi

I at first answered your question... Being from Texas I did not get the joke. But upon seeing where you are from I know understand!!

One question.... did anyone worry about getting back to the boat on time? Is there very much traffic?

We are thinking of booking with Gordon simply because I don't want to stress out and worry about a taxi not picking me up?

I have been to the Island twice and will be there in March for the 3rd time. First time we did the catamaran excursion around the whole island. It was awesome. Last year we hired a taxi guy to give us a tour of the island NO beach stop and/or drinks etc. We are now booked with Gordon with a group of 10 cc cruisers. For $30 we get an island tour with beach and snorkeling and drinks!. People have raved about Gordon. I will post here when we get back late March. There are 365 beaches on this island, one for every day of the year. They all look great!

Hehehehe, yep, all that white stuff on the ground makes for a monochrome photo sometimes:)

Although we did not experience any traffic jams on our visit, for peace of mind, an island tour is probably the thing to do on your first visit so you can check out traffic and roads conditions and decide where to go on your own on your next visit.

Then you might be able to solve a problem I'm having... Since we got back, I've tried to take a bunch of outdoor shots, but the photos are just all white... Do you think there's something wrong with the camera? It was taking beautiful shots down in the Caribbean. :D

LOL.... your camera is just fine. But sounds like more "white pics only" this Tuesday. :eek:

When you organize a island tour (by taxi) for a set price, is it customary to add a tip at the end too? Is this what everyone does?:confused:

LOL.... your camera is just fine. But sounds like more "white pics only" this Tuesday. :eek:

When you organize a island tour (by taxi) for a set price, is it customary to add a tip at the end too? Is this what everyone does?:confused:

Just as with a restaurant meal, we generally do if we think the service provided has been good.

Antigua by public bus

Got map of island and information on bus routes from a small tourist office at the entrance to the port. Learnt we couldn't tour the island by public bus, but we could do a number of single return bus trips, such as bus No.17 to English Harbour, or a bus to Darkwood or Turners Beach.

As the port was a logjam of tour busses/taxis, we walked away from the port, up the hill, and enjoyed a visit to the interesting old Anglican Cathedral of St John the Devine, with wooden box pews marked for family, band members and dancers. A lot of evidence around that this is a religious culture.

Enjoyed visiting Market (Fri and Sat only), with its many familiar tropical fruits and vegetables. Bus Station was nearby. Decided to catch a bus to Turners Beach. What an adventure. Busses are only small and don't appear to be marked with their destination. Hard to find where your bus departs, however, as everyone speaks English, you only need to ask. We discovered ours was an East Side Bus. You just get on and wait for the bus to quickly fill and the driver to arrive. Lady next to us, who yelled out when it was time for us to get off, said to give the driver $3US (for 2).

Turners Beach was beautiful, with inviting aqua water. There weren't many people there when we first arrived but small tour busses and taxis from the cruise ships came and went. It was never crowded. Many swam whilst some had lunch at Turners Beach Restaurant right on the beach.

We amused ourselves paddling in the water and relaxing, on the beach, under a palm tree, watching a tiny yellow and black bird flit around the palm tree flower.

We walked along the beach to OJ's Restaurant, a rustic Antiguan beach restaurant, with a sand floor, and spectacular views of Montserrat Island, with its active volcano. We enjoyed a delicious lunch here, before hailing the bus outside this restaurant for our return to St Johns.

We met delightful happy friendly people on our travels.

What a transformation in St Johns, when we returned. Lots of people were in town, enjoying the loud music and festive atmosphere for Friday evening shopping.

Do you know how to contact Gordon. We are interested in his tours. Sounds great and just what we are looking for. What ever would we do without these wonderful boards. We have used them for almost all our cruises and love it. Dot

Do you know how to contact Gordon. We are interested in his tours. Sounds great and just what we are looking for. What ever would we do without these wonderful boards. We have used them for almost all our cruises and love it. Dot

www dot tourguidegordon dot com We are using him in March for the first time. I have been twice to this island and he charges $30 for an island/snorkel/beach tour with snack and drinks. You can't beat this price PLUS he has wonderful reviews. He does require a 50% deposit simply because people booked and then did not show up.

Archived