Galveston Cruises

CPHS

Has anyone heard of any upcoming promotions for sailing out of Galveston? Interested in June cruise but prices out of Galveston are very high compared to other ports??:eek:

It is more expensive to sail out of Galveston than some other ports. In my opinion your chances of finding anything "special" during the summer months out of Galveston are probably slim.

The ships always sail full, so they really don't have to be "competitive".

IF you can sail in the Fall/Winter or early Spring you can definetely find lower prices.

Good luck in your search and Happy Sailing!!!

Has anyone heard of any upcoming promotions for sailing out of Galveston? Interested in June cruise but prices out of Galveston are very high compared to other ports??:eek:

Since I live in TX I also watch Galveston cruises; very pricey. However, the Early Saver program is offering Conquest cruises starting at 409 inside...I'm definitely looking into booking far far ahead to take advantage of those fantastic savings!

Bet you are kicking yourself for not booking a month ago. Princes were very low after Ike and thru Dec, but have started to go back up.

As Galveston comes back to life I dont see prices dropping unfortunately. I also grabbed a booking on Voyager in December when prices were way down out of Galveston. Price is now almost double what I paid for Voyager.

Bet you are kicking yourself for not booking a month ago. Princes were very low after Ike and thru Dec, but have started to go back up.

As Galveston comes back to life I dont see prices dropping unfortunately. I also grabbed a booking on Voyager in December when prices were way down out of Galveston. Price is now almost double what I paid for Voyager.

Galveston prices may seem pricey, but after you add in air fare to Florida the prices look much better. :D

I save the air fare and use it to take an extra cruise in December from Galveston.

Our cat. went up about $400.00 since we booked in Oct.:eek:

There were prices on Ecstasy starting $189 and $199 pp insides. Now nothing is under $339 or something like that. The prices under $200 were senior rates to fill ships but there were some really hot rates. I had been posting when folks ask if rates will come down that this is wave season, when rates typically go up and I think too many waited to book, hoping because of the economy rates wouldnt go up this year. Now reports are that the cruiselines will have record bookings this year.

Unless you are within driving distance be sure you check out the flight there, and worse, the transport from the airport to Galveston and figure that in. I found that with 4 of us having to fly into Bush International that it was going to cost something like $500 for the trip to and from the ship. We have rented a car for the entire week (there are NO places to drop a car in Galveston) and that is $300, or more. It is not an easy port to cruise from for those flying in. I was spoiled in San Diego- we flew into a small airport north of the city, took a very cheap train down (within walking distance from out hotel) and at the end of the train ride we could see the ship. Don't know about other ports but I do believe that Galveston is one of the more difficult to get to.

Galveston prices may seem pricey, but after you add in air fare to Florida the prices look much better. :D

I save the air fare and use it to take an extra cruise in December from Galveston.

But if prices were more in line with Florida, you could take 3.:D

We just booked a 5 day out of Galveston for $479 on the new promotion Super Saver or something like that. We leave May 30. Not quite June or July but darn close. The only catch is the deposit is non refundable if you choose to cancel. You can transfer it to another cruise within a year but you can't get your $ back if canceled.

You are absolutely right! You stated my story to a T. I live in TX and ppl think, "Just drive and save airfare." Um, TX is a big state. I live in Amarillo...that's approximately 10 hours from Galveston one way, and that's if I speed.

So, take a plane you say. Should be cheaper than MIA, right? Wrong. Living in Amarillo there are no straight connections. You have to switch in Dallas. Then, you can't even fly into Galveston; by the time my boyfriend and I pay the $80 one way fare to Galeveston from Houston, plus tip the driver, and don't forget when we get back we have to do the same thing in reverse, there are no savings. Not in time nor money. We took our last cruise out of MIA and are doing the same in 41 days :) It just seems to work better for us...

Unless you are within driving distance be sure you check out the flight there, and worse, the transport from the airport to Galveston and figure that in. I found that with 4 of us having to fly into Bush International that it was going to cost something like $500 for the trip to and from the ship. We have rented a car for the entire week (there are NO places to drop a car in Galveston) and that is $300, or more. It is not an easy port to cruise from for those flying in. I was spoiled in San Diego- we flew into a small airport north of the city, took a very cheap train down (within walking distance from out hotel) and at the end of the train ride we could see the ship. Don't know about other ports but I do believe that Galveston is one of the more difficult to get to.

Best way to get good rates, NO MATTER where you Cruise out of is to book with a GROUP...You DO NOT have to even meet them, just book with that group to get the good price and "goodies."

Al is trying to work "deals" with some of the Taxis etc to get better rates from Hobby and Bush for all coming in from other places. I agree. What a rip off, because they KNOW you MUST get to the port. We live in Pasadena so are only 40 miles from Galveston.

Email him at: alrayl at sbcglobal dot net and see what he MAY be able to do.

Thanks for the advice, fellow Texan! I will do just that...I'm looking at the Early Saver programs for a Conquest cruise for fall of this year...I really do love that ship and itinerary :)

Best way to get good rates, NO MATTER where you Cruise out of is to book with a GROUP...You DO NOT have to even meet them, just book with that group to get the good price and "goodies."

Al is trying to work "deals" with some of the Taxis etc to get better rates from Hobby and Bush for all coming in from other places. I agree. What a rip off, because they KNOW you MUST get to the port. We live in Pasadena so are only 40 miles from Galveston.

Email him at: alrayl at sbcglobal dot net and see what he MAY be able to do.

Thanks for the advice, fellow Texan! I will do just that...I'm looking at the Early Saver programs for a Conquest cruise for fall of this year...I really do love that ship and itinerary :)

Well we have an AWESOME Veterans Cruise going in November. Come join our Group. Look at our thread and Al is leader of that Group. Good rates. Out of Galveston on the Conquest.

Ask any questions you want. It is a "Salute to Veterans", No you don't have to BE a Veteran, you just have to want to "Salute" them. Very interesting people on this Cruise. Al can tell you more. Email him.

You are absolutely right! You stated my story to a T. I live in TX and ppl think, "Just drive and save airfare." Um, TX is a big state. I live in Amarillo...that's approximately 10 hours from Galveston one way, and that's if I speed.

So, take a plane you say. Should be cheaper than MIA, right? Wrong. Living in Amarillo there are no straight connections. You have to switch in Dallas. Then, you can't even fly into Galveston; by the time my boyfriend and I pay the $80 one way fare to Galeveston from Houston, plus tip the driver, and don't forget when we get back we have to do the same thing in reverse, there are no savings. Not in time nor money. We took our last cruise out of MIA and are doing the same in 41 days :) It just seems to work better for us...

Hi

A lot of people don't realize about Amarillo (where I lived for 27 years) before ending up here in Pasadena. It is a long way baby to drive.

Galveston is not hard to get to.... I just looked on SW and they had flights from Amarillo to Hobby for $102 p/p each way.

Now you think getting from Hobby airport to Galveston - "How do you do it".... One way is to rent an Enterprise rental car one way which isn't bad and you can book to do the same on return, just have to do it in advance. The other way is a Shuttle from Galveston (which I think is over priced)

If you have never gotten on a CC Roll Call - You NEED to do it. More often than not you can find others that are arriving about the same time and splitting costs of shuttle, rental car or van would help everyone.

We have made some lifelong friends form the Roll Calls and getting to know them well in advance. We have the Veterans Cruise in November coming and have already met some new great friends, and even squeezed a cruise in last Oct with one couple. Come and go on the Vet cruise and we will help find reasonable way to get to Galveston.

Following the roll calls even as a lurker to gleen information is a good plan.

I am always happy to help and answer any questions I can.

Al

One way is to rent an Enterprise rental car one way which isn't bad and you can book to do the same on return, just have to do it in advance.

Ah- but since the hurricane you can't do that. Nor can you rent one way with Hertz. Not for cruise days at least for sure- I tried and tried persistently, as have others here. There are 4 of us- that would be tight in most taxis, unless we were able to get a van. We are already a group. Getting to Houston is not a problem. It is that last little bit that is hard. That is why we are renting a car for the week to drive it about 4 hours. And then you have to deal with the airport taxes and fees which cost more than the car rental. I will avoid cruising out of Texas in the future- just too much.

Hi

A lot of people don't realize about Amarillo (where I lived for 27 years) before ending up here in Pasadena. It is a long way baby to drive.

Yeah, that sounds like driving not a good option for people living in Amarillo. We live SW of Ft worth and the drive to Galveston is about 6 hours. We usually drive down the day before the cruise and stay in the Galveston on the beach Holiday Inn. They have a park and cruise rate and you can stay for one night and leave your car for up to 14 days in their cruise parking lot.

For us driving to Galveston instead of flying to Florida makes more sense. In you case, flying to Florida sounds like the better deal, plus you have way more options for different cruises out of Florida then we have here in Texas.

I have had the exact same experience you describe! Quite irritating...

One way is to rent an Enterprise rental car one way which isn't bad and you can book to do the same on return, just have to do it in advance.

Ah- but since the hurricane you can't do that. Nor can you rent one way with Hertz. Not for cruise days at least for sure- I tried and tried persistently, as have others here. There are 4 of us- that would be tight in most taxis, unless we were able to get a van. We are already a group. Getting to Houston is not a problem. It is that last little bit that is hard. That is why we are renting a car for the week to drive it about 4 hours. And then you have to deal with the airport taxes and fees which cost more than the car rental. I will avoid cruising out of Texas in the future- just too much.

I was able to take advantage of the cheap rates after Ike and we sailed in Dec for $249 per for an inside. I guess thats what makes it so hard to spend $500+ for the same room in June.

Thanks for all the input, I just read so much about poor ecomomy I figured cruise prices would be effected. I guess we Texans are not seeing this...

I was able to take advantage of the cheap rates after Ike and we sailed in Dec for $249 per for an inside. I guess thats what makes it so hard to spend $500+ for the same room in June.

Thanks for all the input, I just read so much about poor ecomomy I figured cruise prices would be effected. I guess we Texans are not seeing this...

We did a cruise out of Galveston on the Ecstasy in December 2008 and we also had good price. It's seems to be a seasonal thing with the first couple of weeks in December being very reasonable. Later, a couple of weeks after spring break are also reasonable. Other then those small windows, the prices tend to be quite a bit higher in Texas compared to Florida.

Galveston cruisers...I can't pick between the conquest and ecstasy...been on conquest, can afford it this time, but need someone to tell me the conquest isn't worth the extra 400-500 dollars...I really loved the conquest and can't see myself "downgrading" as some would say to the ecstasy. Please someone tell me what to do:confused:

Archived