Really basic question re. Caribbean weather....

tom_uk

Hello the forum!

I've never cruised in the Caribbean - you'll guess from my handle that I'm not from anywhere near those parts - but I'm beginning to be attracted for 2010.

My question is this: what is the weather like in the Caribbean in January / February? And does it vary between east & western caribbean, or north and south? I'm thinking about a 7-night cruise out of Miami, and the choices are western (Belize, Costa Maya, etc) or eastern - Samana, Tortola, St Johns, etc. What's the weather likely to be like in late January or February in these locations?

Many thanks in advance for answers.

We normally don't sail to the Western, as we like the nicer beaches and waters of the Eastern and Southern Caribbean areas.

But we just returned from 14 days on the Grand Princess to the Eastern/Southern ports. The temps were warm (80-85 F) with occasional rain shower in the AM. Waters were cool, not as warm as summer or fall months. Seas were fairly calm with very little movement on the ship.

BUT, remember, this could be totally different when you sail, as Mother Nature is not predictable.

We have sailed several times to the Eastern/Southern Caribbean in December-January and February. Usually it is quite sunny and warm. Only once did we find that we had rain almost everyday for the entire two week cruise, and I don't mean just sprinkles that went away. Best of luck on your decision! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello the forum!

I've never cruised in the Caribbean - you'll guess from my handle that I'm not from anywhere near those parts - but I'm beginning to be attracted for 2010.

My question is this: what is the weather like in the Caribbean in January / February? And does it vary between east & western caribbean, or north and south? I'm thinking about a 7-night cruise out of Miami, and the choices are western (Belize, Costa Maya, etc) or eastern - Samana, Tortola, St Johns, etc. What's the weather likely to be like in late January or February in these locations?

Many thanks in advance for answers.

Weather should be nice either way, maybe a little more rainy western than eastern, but Jan/Feb is not too rainy here. I spend most of the month in Trinidad and this is the beginning of our dry season here, which means it may not rain today...

Archived