low fat meals on the zuiderdam

F22mom

I always tell myself when I get a person to cook for me I would have this chef make low fat meals. Well this is the time. How are the low fat meals on zuiderdam? Are there choices in various eating places? And or they loaded with sugar subsititutes and other substitutes?

Isn't it wonderful when we can leave the cooking and the pots and pans scrubbing to someone else?:p

I think I can set your mind at ease concerning healthy eating aboard the Zuiderdam. Certainly there are fresh fruits, vegetables, salads, skim milk, clear soups, and such.

At dinner time, for instance, you'll find broiled salmon and chicken every night. There will most likely be a light item such as a main dish salad too.

There are sugar free desserts available. I imagine they have Splenda or something but they taste fine to me. Full disclosure...I am more likely to go for the real chocolate cake and then just eat about half of it.

My answer isn't specific to the Zuiderdam, but HAL has "spa cuisine" items on every menu in the dining room. Even on the items that are not "spa cuisine" the dining room portion sizes are reasonable. In the Lido you can ask for a small portion. (It also helps to walk all the way around and survey the options before getting in line.) In addition, there is a variety of sliced fruit at every meal, good salads, and fish or chicken items. One lunch on the Veendam cruise had a seafood station with steamed shrimp and crab legs. At dinner one night there was an entree salad with Meyer lemons that was really good.

On our recent cruise, I made an effort to eat somewhat healthfully -- if someone else will slice the fruit and make the salad, I will eat it. (I ordered salad dressing on the side.) Along with the healthy food, I had a dessert and a cocktail or wine every day, and only gained 1/2 pound. And there was so much selection that I did not feel deprived.

I tried the low fat muffins and did not like them. Like the previous poster, I'd rather eat a smaller portion of the real thing.

Every ship has low fat choices on the menu. I am sure you are aware what dishes would have high saturated fat or low saturated fat. Each menu item has enough description you can figure out a grilled chicken breast is probably a good low fat choice.

If you order manicotti with bolognese and bechamel sauce/mozzarella there's a good chance you are ordering a high fat dish. :)

Every night, grilled salmon, steak and chicken breast are offered. Have some veggies and a salad with oil and vinegar and you are clearly having a low fat dinner.

Actually, that is often what I order. ;)

Fresh fruit and high fiber cereal with skim milk is a good choice for breakfast.

There's always a nice salad bar offered at lunch. I am sure anyone eating low fat diet would skip those items prepared with mayonnaise. :D

thanks for the info and tips. I love to fiber one in the morning with yogurt but slide the rest of day because I am too lazy to slice and dice. so I am looking forward to people slicing and dicing for me. I always tell people when I become wealthy I will not have anyone clean my house (good exercise), I want someone to cook for me.

Archived