Help..Best way to backup my pictures while on vacation

luvtwotrvl

Now, that is nice indeed............very cheap!!!

Did you get the Smartdisk Firelite 120g Portable hard drive?? Does the USB cable comes with it??

Thanks,

David

I bought mine two years ago and it was only 80 Gigs. Not sure if it is the Firelite, but the USB cable was included with mine.

Neil

Why not take a memory stick, you can get them with quite high capacity now and i'm sure you must be able to download from the ships computer.Thats what i'm doing anyway, unless somebody tells me differently. I have heard that the photo shop will download to a cd for you. (at a price ) ;)

Why not take a memory stick, you can get them with quite high capacity now and i'm sure you must be able to download from the ships computer.Thats what i'm doing anyway, unless somebody tells me differently. I have heard that the photo shop will download to a cd for you. (at a price ) ;)

At $9.95 per 700MB CD (last time I checked), it would have cost me over $100 to empty an 8GB card.

Just not an economical option.

If all else fails, just buy more memory! :D

Dave

At $9.95 per 700MB CD (last time I checked), it would have cost me over $100 to empty an 8GB card.

Just not an economical option.

If all else fails, just buy more memory! :D

Dave

WOW, i won't be doing that then. :eek: More memory cards it is then. Thanks Dave

WOW, i won't be doing that then. :eek: More memory cards it is then. Thanks Dave

Memory cards are the way to go, you can find them on promo almost every week at BestBuy, Officedepot etc. The price are soo cheap now, 2GB can be had for often less then 15 bucks. Unless you shoot a DSLR and have to shoot 4-9 pictures / second, the enty level cards by Sandisk and Lexar are more then good enough and reliable enough for 99% of us. The only advantage for the faster cards is when you download on a USB2 or firewire reader is the much faster transfer of the pictures

Todays cards are very reliable able to take humidity, temperature, and shock conditions far more severe then any person or camera. Cards can sustain 10,000 to 100,000 + read/write cycles and hold their data for years and years at extreme conditions.

The most likely failure mode for a card is theft or user error. User error being losing it, formating over, pulling a card out before done writing, camera battery failure before write is complete. As long as you format the card every time you transfer pictures you can probably avoid 99.9% of the file corruption issues due to the OS

A real physical card failure should be a rare event, you are more likely to miss the boat then have a card failure. But I agree you can never be to carefully and backup to a PC or HDD and left on the ship is always a good habit.

I always travel with a small computer and backup hard drive but I can give some current price info as of late February 2009 on several backup solutions.

1 -Get lots of memory cards example: 4 GB SD cards are currently 2 for $29.95 at costco, CF cards cost just a little more

2 -USB backup hard drive to connect to a computer on ship, current cost for 250 GB-320 GB about $100 at Best Buy, Costco or a good online store such as newegg or amazon

3-Epson P-3000, 6000, 7000 series device $300 -$800 other types such as Wolcerine from about $120-$300

4-Netbook type computer like Dell mini, MSI Wind or Acer One with 160 GB HDD about $350-$400 or even less

5-Sony P series travel computer (they just don't call it netbook) the size of a very small keyboard and very thin with 60GB-120GB HD $899-$1499

I found this one at Costco. The screen looked really good. Do you think it would run CS3. If not I could always download Picasa for my trip. For $299 it seems like a good deal.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11377164&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US#reviews

Can it run it, yes. But if you plan to do serious editing that will go slow to very slow if you plan to do anything serious. For running photoshop its really best to have 2GB memory and a graphics card with at least 512M at a minimum.

No question it'll be a light and convenient machine for saving and viewing your pictures. Running any of the google suites will also be a snap.

Atom rocks, but I'm biased ;)

Well then I'll stick to Picasa while on the trip and do my heavy duty editing at home. I really wanted the MacBook Pro but with what it is costing me to go to Alaska I think the little Acer will do the job! All the reviews I have read on it are very favorable!

I ran out of memory on night 3 of my 4 night cruise... on RC's Monarch it was $15 per cd... I opted to spend $14 for a new 2G high speed card (not too out of line). The photo store employee even let me test a card before I purchased (my camera is a couple of years old and I didn't know if it would like the high speed cards). Worked beautifully, and now I have a spare card when I travel.

I agree with the use one card a day. As others have mentioned mem cards are cheap, So why not. Having said all that i have a very Different way to backup my cards.

I Use my Apple Ipod Classic. Myself and my wife both carry ours when we are on the cruise(On-Board). You can also view the pictures.You can buy the Cable from the Apple Store or online.

The only downside is that it is slow, in comparison to a card reader type. I do the backup at night while the Ipod is charging, so no need to worry about the battery dying.

Dave Pierce is right - cards are inexpensive and compact. And flash memory cards are the most secure storage medium available, so why consider bringing a laptop?

I usually bring a laptop (Sony Vaio with a 10 x 7" screen) because it is a lot easier to cull photos (my digital cam's screen is only 3 x3") and using Picassa I add a caption to enough pictures each day that I can tell where and when the photos were taken. This eliminates the need to keep a separate written log. I wipe the card when nearly full and copy the smaller culled file back to the card, which remains my archival backup.

Waiting until you are home to process your shots means you will eventually fall behind. And then (well, you don't have enough time to respond, do you?). I'd like to hear alternatives to this post.

WIT

I've used an Epson P-3000 for the past couple of years and still love it. Not only does it quickly clear my CF and SD cards, but it allows me to leave my laptop at home, because the display is big and bright and detailed.

I know there are other units similar to the P-3000, as well as higher models of Epsons, but my P-3000 does everything I need and want.

Nice to be able to lay in bed after a flightseeing trip to McKinley, download my CF cards and view a slideshow....then share the photos with friends.

Archived