Any advantage to getting a room at the Sheraton or Westin at Our Lucaya?

kindercruiser

Our cruise is coming up and I'm still undecided about how we will spend our day in Freeport. What is the advantage to getting a room at the Sheraton or Westin? Are the facilities very nice? Is it best to just take a taxi and stay on the beach? I need some advice here. :)

No point in getting a room there. At the moment you can only get rooms at the Westin anyway as Freeport is hurting a LOT and so they've closed up the Sheraton.

If it is just for using the pool facilities, a much nicer pool and beach can be found at Taino Beach Resort which is actually just across the canal from the Westin. If they give you an option for an excursion there I would choose that. If they don't offer an excursion you can always just go anyway, We are locals now here in Freeport and in all the times we've opted for a pool day we just use the premises and have never once been challenged.

They do have a pool bar and a water slide. Pool side music and waterfront casual restaurant. (mediocre food). They also offer water sports on the beach and an hourly ferry service to Lucaya so it pretty much covers anything you'd want to do in a day.

Thanks for the reply!:) I appreciate your thoughts. I asked because I came across an offer at the Sheraton at Our Lucaya for $109 plus the bogus taxes and maid fees. I thought when I compared the cost to a Carnival excursion, even with taxis, it was cheaper for a family of four for the day. I found the Sheraton Our Lucaya offer at www.travelzoo.com and you just click on Carribean and Mexico, the offer is about the second one from the top. I'm surprised to hear that it is closed with this offer in affect. I'll have to call and check it out. I just wanted to hear thoughts on getting a room and if it was worth it. Thanks again! :) Oh, if interested in the offer it has to be booked by Feb.6.

• 4 weeks later...
No point in getting a room there. At the moment you can only get rooms at the Westin anyway as Freeport is hurting a LOT and so they've closed up the Sheraton.

If it is just for using the pool facilities, a much nicer pool and beach can be found at Taino Beach Resort which is actually just across the canal from the Westin. If they give you an option for an excursion there I would choose that. If they don't offer an excursion you can always just go anyway, We are locals now here in Freeport and in all the times we've opted for a pool day we just use the premises and have never once been challenged.

They do have a pool bar and a water slide. Pool side music and waterfront casual restaurant. (mediocre food). They also offer water sports on the beach and an hourly ferry service to Lucaya so it pretty much covers anything you'd want to do in a day.

How far is Taino Beach Resort from the Port? Thanks.

Thanks for the reply!:) I appreciate your thoughts. I asked because I came across an offer at the Sheraton at Our Lucaya for $109 plus the bogus taxes and maid fees. I thought when I compared the cost to a Carnival excursion, even with taxis, it was cheaper for a family of four for the day. I found the Sheraton Our Lucaya offer at www.travelzoo.com and you just click on Carribean and Mexico, the offer is about the second one from the top. I'm surprised to hear that it is closed with this offer in affect. I'll have to call and check it out. I just wanted to hear thoughts on getting a room and if it was worth it. Thanks again! :) Oh, if interested in the offer it has to be booked by Feb.6.

The Sheraton is still taking reservations - if there are enough people to warrant opening it, then you'll stay at the Sheraton. If occupancy is low enough they'll set you up in the Westin for the Sheraton price (an even better deal). They said they were going to be open Mar 1st, but I haven't been by for a while to see if they did or not. The low occupancy rates are exactly why such good deals are in effect.

The math works out in your favor over a ship's excursion for the whole family. I'd never thought about the idea of getting a room for the day, but it makes sense to me. If you get a room at Pelican Bay Hotel, you can use all the facilities at the Taino Beach Resort.

Of course, you can also go to the beach for free and not pay anything - you just don't get the pool or chairs is all. Bring a beach towel - you can still buy food and drinks at the bars there.

• 2 weeks later...

If we want to go to Taino Beach Resort would it be cheaper for our group of 9 to get a van to take us (& would there be vans to take 9 or would we have to get a few cabs) OR could we take that $5. pp shared shuttle to Our Lucaya & walk to the resort from where the shuttle would drop us off?

Archived