Typhoid shot/pills for Guatemala?

S&S Cruisers 1983

We checked in the fall before our Panama Cruise including Guatemala and although Princess and most travellers say that shots are not necessary, we consulted 2 travel nurses, one being my SIL and both said yes to:

Hep A,

Typhoid

Tetanus

Diphtheria

Yellow fever was kind of a toss up and we decided not to have it.

One thing that is recommend is some 100% Deet insect repellent....the only time we used it was in Costa Rica for a jungle river excursion....the rest of the time we never saw a mosquito.:)

• 4 months later...

You probably won't get stricken with anything, but there is the possibility. You should really consult with a professional to help with the decision-making. We've been pleased with the advice given by Passport Health. www.passporthealthusa.com

Your greatest concerns are probably going to be malaria, diarrhea, and sunburn.

Use good insect repellent. While DEET has been around for many years, consider Picaridin as well since it is nearly as effective and doesn't have many of the negative aspects of DEET (we've used Cutter Advanced Outdoorsman with 15% Picaridin). You can also consider praying your clothes with Permethrin, inlcuding the Sawyer brand. You may get anti-malarial tablets (taken either weekly or daily, depending on the medication), but you'll need a prescription for these.

For diarrhea, take a bottle of Imodium with you. It's over the counter and will help with the symptoms. You might also want to use an antibiotic as well. Most people go with Cipro, a general antibotic. I've used Xifaxan, a less commonly used antibiotic that remains in the intestinal tract. For either you'll need to get a prescription.

I have very fair skin so I need substantial sun protection. The best out there has been La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL, SPF 60. In the past I bought it from Canada since it had not been approved by FDA, but I think it may have recently been approved in the United States.

Finally, you may also wnat to consider general health issues, such as getting shots for tetanus, rabies, etc. Your doctor should give you advice there.

• 3 months later...

The suggestions you received are very good and I agree you should discuss this with your own physician.

My daughter and I have been on several medical missions in Guatemala. We were asked to make sure our tetnus shots were up to date and to get hep A innoculation. We rode in a small pickup, standing up, to remote villages to triage people in order to refer them to the main clinics the following week. We even entered a very crude home where the matress was plastic bags filled with old clothes and rags. We were in Guatemala for almost 3 weeks. Because of the area where we visited we took vermox (for worms) the day we completed the mission. This is probably not necessary because you will not be going into the remote areas. Over the pass 10 years the most serious illness was one case of dengue fever. Take some precaustions if you eat off the street, not recommended!. Drink bottled water! Don't forget the Imodium or Pepto just in case. Yes take the bug repellant but it may not be necessary to spray your clothes. But most of all just enjoy your trip and worry a little less. Guatemala is a beaufiful country and I suggest seeing Antigua or if time permits take the boat across Lake Atitlan to the the small village of Sandiago. Lots of shopping there and the small town has a nice population of Mayans.

Judee

Archived