Can you get a good deal on last minute bookings?

dasey

My DH and I want to cruise Alaska sometime in May 09. He keeps telling me to wait and we could get a really good deal. I, on the other hand, am getting really impatient as I am a planner and this is really getting to me. Has anyone gotten a really good deal waiting until the last minute to book? This will be his first trip to Alaska, my second.

yes you can still get good deals if you wait until about a month or so out, but then you stand the chance of the ship being sold out or the type of cabin you want not being available. It is a gamble at best. Right now there are some pretty good deals out there for May, how long they will be available remains to be seen. If it were me and I really knew exactly when I wanted to cruise I would just book but everyone has his/her own ideas.

Nita

My DH and I want to cruise Alaska sometime in May 09. He keeps telling me to wait and we could get a really good deal. I, on the other hand, am getting really impatient as I am a planner and this is really getting to me. Has anyone gotten a really good deal waiting until the last minute to book? This will be his first trip to Alaska, my second.

I think I saw something on their webpage about 30 minutes ago. A sale on a sailing in April or May. Here is the link http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/hotdeal/specialOffers.html

Is that ok to post?

I think I've seen links here before.

You go girl!

We booked last minute in our last cruise. It was a little less than a month. We just booked the cheapest room available at that time. It was under $700 for the both of us total for 8 days. Withen a week another couple was going to join and the only thing available was two portholes and balcony and above. Good luck

I tried in summer of 2007 to book an Alaska cruise about a month or so in advance for a late season saling. I found that all of the lines I checked with had only very expensive cabins/suites available. Perhaps with the current economic slowdown bookings may be down for summer 2009. My crystal ball is a bit foggy today, so who knows?

As others have said, you may or may not get a better deal by waiting. Of course, a "last minute" cruise booking means a "last minute" airline booking, and they are generally not so much of a bargain.

I tried in summer of 2007 to book an Alaska cruise about a month or so in advance for a late season saling. I found that all of the lines I checked with had only very expensive cabins/suites available. Perhaps with the current economic slowdown bookings may be down for summer 2009. My crystal ball is a bit foggy today, so who knows?

As others have said, you may or may not get a better deal by waiting. Of course, a "last minute" cruise booking means a "last minute" airline booking, and they are generally not so much of a bargain.

great points!!!

Nita

The Alaska cruise season is so short -- and the inineraries are very popular -- so you don't usually see the prices go down as it gets closer, like you sometimes do with other cruises. If you really want to cruise to Alaska this summer and you find a good price now, I'd book it. That way you know you'll get a cabin.

If the price goes down and you haven't yet made your final payment, they will adjust it.

Thanks soo much for the advice. I think I will go ahead and book now. We are lucky enough with our jobs to be very flexible but I am getting to nervous or maybe, anxious!! thanks again!!

IF you are flexable, you most certainly can pick up last minute bargains for Alaska. I block out time and wait, willing to not go if it happens. I've gotten some fantastic deals on cruises overall, since I frequently late book. BUT I don't have to purchase air. If you do, that can be more costly than the cruise and not end up being a savings. Compare all costs.

We went to Alaska for the first time last year; we didn't wait until the last minute but we found the first sailing was the cheapest by far for the season. May 4th last year. We do have to fly so airfare is always a consideration for us. If you want to go, I'd say book shortly if you have a cabin preference. We always want a balcony.

Archived