Veendam - A Deck Aft

LolaLemon

It is crew-only work space, as is the space at the stern of the Main deck. Generally, unlabelled white-space is crew-only.

Sailed on the Veendam recently with a cabin almost at the very stern of the main deck. There are doors which open to a small rear deck spaces (approx 10 x 30 feet) which can be accessed and were used by smokers. Also, just a nice place to pop out to for the view and a bit of quiet. There may be signs to deter passengers (I can't recall) but these doors were generally open and used without any hindrance from the crew.

Are their loungers out there?

I can offer some infomation here, as we just disembarked the Veendam yesterday (Feb. 22) and were in cabin 833. There is no public access to the deck aft of 833. The door leading out is marked "emergency exit only" and I was told in advance by our cruise consultant that access is limited to crew.

As for mechanical noises coming from all those winches, chains, anchors and whatever else is back there, we did experience a lot of that. Even though I am a very sound sleeper, the noises and vibrations coming from back there were enough to wake me (and my wife and daughter) up. While this situation was worse on port days as you might expect, we were also surprised by a lot of racket in the early morning hours even while at sea. The morning commotion generally began anywhere from 4:30 AM - 7:00 and lasted for an hour or so. And, just when you think things would settle down, they'd kick back up again.

While I have no way of knowing for sure, I would be very surprised if the last four or five cabins or so on this deck don't experience the same sort of thing.

With that being said, this was our third cruise on the Veendam and it remains one of our favorite ships. The noises and vibrations were annoying, but we were able to laugh about it and it didn't diminish our vacation.

Are their loungers out there?
No, passengers should not be out there! I wish people would stop trying to quote Sirdar's #5 post, as it results in looking like I am giving out bad info. I did NOT say this:
Sailed on the Veendam recently with a cabin almost at the very stern of the main deck. There are doors which open to a small rear deck spaces (approx 10 x 30 feet) which can be accessed and were used by smokers. Also' date=' just a nice place to pop out to for the view and a bit of quiet. There may be signs to deter passengers (I can't recall) but these doors were generally open and used without any hindrance from the crew.[/quote']

Can anyone tell me if there is a door out to the lower promenade deck in front of room 301 or where the quickest access to that deck would be? Are there lounge chairs at the bow of the ship on that deck?

The forward crossover on Lower Promendade Deck is almost completely enclosed - it's just a walk-through space.

The bow docking machinery room is forward and the Queen's Lounge is above - so it wouldn't do any good for the stewards to place deck chairs in that area because there's nothing to see but white-painted steel walls, some signs, some steel doors, teak storage lockers and people walking to and fro.

• 9 months later...
I can offer some infomation here, as we just disembarked the Veendam yesterday (Feb. 22) and were in cabin 833. There is no public access to the deck aft of 833. The door leading out is marked "emergency exit only" and I was told in advance by our cruise consultant that access is limited to crew.

As for mechanical noises coming from all those winches, chains, anchors and whatever else is back there, we did experience a lot of that. Even though I am a very sound sleeper, the noises and vibrations coming from back there were enough to wake me (and my wife and daughter) up. While this situation was worse on port days as you might expect, we were also surprised by a lot of racket in the early morning hours even while at sea. The morning commotion generally began anywhere from 4:30 AM - 7:00 and lasted for an hour or so. And, just when you think things would settle down, they'd kick back up again.

While I have no way of knowing for sure, I would be very surprised if the last four or five cabins or so on this deck don't experience the same sort of thing.

With that being said, this was our third cruise on the Veendam and it remains one of our favorite ships. The noises and vibrations were annoying, but we were able to laugh about it and it didn't diminish our vacation.

Son of a *****. I just found out today that my room is 848 (the port side counterpart to 833). I suppose the room is our selected stateroom category: Picture Window Room Guarantee.

I am a very light sleeper and I wake up to the sound of a pin drop. It just figures that I would get the worst room to be in as a light sleeper. I would really like to laugh about something like that and normally I do. Flight delays/cancellations, poor service, whatever I am typically chill about. But not getting sleep is NOT something I look forward to while I am on vacation. I get enough of that at home during the work week. I would even take a downgrade to a porthole window to get away from the noise...

I am already stressing about going on a vacation. I'm not supposed to do that...

Archived