Veendam - A Deck Aft

LolaLemon

Does anyone know what is at the aft of the A deck on the Veendam?

Two of our rooms are back there. There is open space and what looks like some sort of room...

It is crew-only work space, as is the space at the stern of the Main deck. Generally, unlabelled white-space is crew-only.

It the case of the Veendam A deck, it is where the lines for docking are kept, among other uses. If your cabins are close, you might hear winches operating during early dockings.

but I have been wondering the same thing about the fore of the ship...
Crew cabins and/or work space.

It is crew-only work space, as is the space at the stern of the Main deck. Generally, unlabelled white-space is crew-only.

Sailed on the Veendam recently with a cabin almost at the very stern of the main deck. There are doors which open to a small rear deck spaces (approx 10 x 30 feet) which can be accessed and were used by smokers. Also, just a nice place to pop out to for the view and a bit of quiet. There may be signs to deter passengers (I can't recall) but these doors were generally open and used without any hindrance from the crew.

Thanks for your reply! I am a little upset, as I was told by my TA that it was a supply closet! :mad: Hopefully this won't wake up my toddler!
We're both talking about the large area aft of cabins 833/848, aren't we? That would be one huge closet!! :) The smaller inside white spaces between 799 and 809 are steward's supply and service rooms.

We've never had a cabin back in that area, so I'm just guessing that you might be able to hear winches and other noises, but I don't have any idea how loud they might be.

There may be signs to deter passengers (I can't recall) but these doors were generally open and used without any hindrance from the crew.
Yes, the doors are marked "Crew Only". In practice that probably just means that the ship's liability would be just about zero if you were hurt if you were out there, or anyplace else you didn't belong! :)

Jenivive,

I would love an update on the room as we too are in 823 with our 4 year old 2 weeks after you. Maybe its the room they like to stick young children in :)

I hope not! LOL, but maybe it is true. I know that many hotels have rooms they specifically reserve for people with dogs. Maybe they think people with kids are filthy. :-( I am a germophobe, so I will definitely be cleaning my room surfaces with Clorox Anywhere spray. LOL.

I will have that room disinfected so well for the next passengers, but who knows what they will do to it? LOL.

It just occurred to me that maybe we're in the same room because we have the same TA. Sometimes TAs block out the same blocks of rooms. Was yours an online agency, too?

Thanks in advance for cleaning! I have some lysol coming with me.

We used my parents travel agent so I'm not sure who it is, just that they have used them for years out of California.

At least being the last inside room should make it easy to find.

Thanks in advance for cleaning! I have some lysol coming with me.

We used my parents travel agent so I'm not sure who it is, just that they have used them for years out of California.

At least being the last inside room should make it easy to find.

I'll have some lysol, too, but it doesn't have chlorine in it so it won't do diddly against Noro.

I know I am a bit overboard when it comes to cleaning, but I cannot risk my baby girl getting sick. She tends to keep illnesses for a long time. That said, she is not exposed to any other children except when at the doctor's office and rare visits with her cousins and godsisters. I know she needs to be exposed to germs. I just don't want her exposed to people's germs who don't properly wash their hands... and it is more people than you would expect. Yuck.

The cabin remote is probably the worst of it, though. I will be bringing my ziploc bag and putting it in right away before it goes right into her mouth. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
Jenivive,

I would love an update on the room as we too are in 823 with our 4 year old 2 weeks after you. Maybe its the room they like to stick young children in :)

Please, please read this post and email me at limonfamily2005@aol.com.

My baby got what we think was rotovirus on the last day of our cruise.

Poor thing was extremely ill.

I have some comments about the room, etc. that I would like to share with you.

I haven't the time to do my full review yet, but since you're cruising next week, I thought you should know.

Thanks!

Does anyone know what is at the aft of the A deck on the Veendam?

Two of our rooms are back there. There is open space and what looks like some sort of room...

Crew space and the Stern Mooring Deck, where the winches and ropes are kept that are used to tie the ship to the dock.

Sailed on the Veendam recently with a cabin almost at the very stern of the main deck. There are doors which open to a small rear deck spaces (approx 10 x 30 feet) which can be accessed and were used by smokers. Also, just a nice place to pop out to for the view and a bit of quiet. There may be signs to deter passengers (I can't recall) but these doors were generally open and used without any hindrance from the crew.

I've sailed in the same area twice and thought of that as the "secret deck".

I discovered it after opening my cabin door just in time to see a black lab service dog being taken back there to do his business. They had a large tray of turf, a box of baggies and a trash can for him.

I believe that there is a "Crew Only" sign there but they didn't seem to mind us using it.

I just looked at pictures of us waving from this deck, taken from the dock. There is a large open deck below us on A, with a lot of pipes running through the ceiling and rope cables coming out to tie up to the dock.

The main deck is one above the A deck, which is the focus of the OP ... so whatever is on the main deck is definitely not what is in the big white space on the A deck.

The main deck is one above the A deck, which is the focus of the OP ... so whatever is on the main deck is definitely not what is in the big white space on the A deck.

I know the main deck is above the A deck. Both you and mollynme have mixed two posts and incorrectly attributed a statement to me that was made by Sirdar because he omitted the close-quote sequence [ /quote] when he quoted me. I said in post #3:
where "It" was referring to the A deck that the OP was asking about.

Sirdar then said:

Sailed on the Veendam recently with a cabin almost at the very stern of the main deck ... etc

In any event, the spaces at the stern of both the A and Main are labelled for crew-only.

I know the main deck is above the A deck. Both you and mollynme have mixed two posts and incorrectly attributed a statement to me that was made by Sirdar because he omitted the close-quote sequence [ /quote] when he quoted me. I said in post #3:

where "It" was referring to the A deck that the OP was asking about.

Sirdar then said:

In any event, the spaces at the stern of both the A and Main are labelled for crew-only.

I could swear I quoted Sirdar ... maybe the boards burped, or perhaps it was me. Apologies for my confused bufoonery.

I could swear I quoted Sirdar ... maybe the boards burped, or perhaps it was me. Apologies for my confused bufoonery.

In fact, it appears we both tried to quote Sirdar ...

Thanks! :) Yes, it was Sirdar's omission that caused the mix-up.

We are in the very last cabin on the main deck. Can the public go to the very back or do you think that picture above is showing the crew?

The people in the picture are my family. We used it several times, once with crew members present, without any problem. There are no deck chairs but it's a quick way of checking the weather or just wake-watching.

Archived