Proper Tipping (Sorry to make another)

craigandjessica

Ok, so we booked our cruise and pre-paid our gratuity. We were wondering when and where you should tip once you are on the ship. Also what is the proper amount for the additional services. We are bringing a fair share of additional spending money but would still like to use it wisely. In what cases does the typical cruiser tip in addition to the $10 pp gratuity per day and the average amount of the tip? i know this is a debatable subject since some don't think you should tip at all beyond the $10 gratuity and others tip a considerable amount above the $10 but I just want to know what the average person does.:D

You will want to bring money to tip your taxi/shuttle drivers, room service and porters..........other then that... the $10/day added to your S&S is sufficient for good service......... and no need to tip bar servers as 15% gratuity is added on to the price of the drink!

Good luck!

We felt we received outstanding service from both our room steward and waiter and tipped both of them an extra $50 in cash on the last day. I thought room service tips were included but since have learned they aren't, so I will bring some $1's for tipping him this trip.

We tipped our room steward $20 on the first day when we met him and asked him to keep ice in our cooler. Because he did such a great job and also kept ice in the ice bin as well, we tipped him another $20 but that was also because our ship was diverted to New Orleans instead of Galveston and I asked for extra towel animals and got them. I just love those things.

We tipped our waiter and assistant waiter extra and then tipped again in the Supper Club, twice.

We over-tipped our porter when we arrived for embarkation because we were so excited and it was our first cruise. Not sure how much my husband gave him but considering we had 7 bags for the two of us, I think he tipped him $20.

That was probably over and beyond but we had also prepaid our gratuities and it seemed odd not to tip. Oh well, we received AMAZING service.

You asked what other people do, so here it is......

We keep the auto tips in place, and then tip whomever whenever whatever we feel like. We have not tipped at the beginning of a cruise (I look at doing that as bribery). If a bar server has been particularly attentive I'll slip him an extra dollar or two here or there. Room service a dollar or two depending on how much we order. We usually give extra to the room stewards and wait staff at the end of the cruise; amount varies. For us, it's a "feeling" thing.

Tipping is a personal preference. Do what you feel is right.

Ok, so we booked our cruise and pre-paid our gratuity. We were wondering when and where you should tip once you are on the ship. Also what is the proper amount for the additional services. We are bringing a fair share of additional spending money but would still like to use it wisely. In what cases does the typical cruiser tip in addition to the $10 pp gratuity per day and the average amount of the tip? i know this is a debatable subject since some don't think you should tip at all beyond the $10 gratuity and others tip a considerable amount above the $10 but I just want to know what the average person does.:D

Definately $1 or $2 to room service each delivery. That is really all that is needed onboard. However, I tip $20-40 to the room steward & same to dining staff. I tipped my karaoke host a $20 at the end of the cruise and also a $20 to the waitress & $20 to the bartender in the karaoke lounge the last night of the cruise cuz they did a great job of entertaining us all week. I tipped one of the servers on the lido deck cuz he always went out of his way to see if we needed anything whenever he saw us. That is over & above the auto-tip and not required but just something I felt like doing and they all certainly appreciated it. If you have kids in children activities, I would tip them at least $20 per child.

Now for other cash needed on the trip, parking fees, shuttle/taxi tips, spending money on excursions.

People tell me I'm crazy but we always tip the porter a minimum of $10, then get on the ship and:

1. Leave the autotips in place

2. Tip our room steward a couple of bucks each day and $20 at the end

3. Always tip for room service ($2)

4. Tip our maitre d' at the end of the cruise ($20)

5. Tip our waitstaff ($10 each)

6. Tip the bartenders for each drink (usually $1-$2 each drink depending on the drink)

7. Bring plenty of cash for tipping tour operators and taxi drivers in the various ports

...so that is what we do. :)

Once you are on the ship all of your tips expect for room service and spa services are covered. Most people do not add any over and above the $10 per day unless they use room service or the spa.

It is customary to tip the porters whole help with your luggage between $1 and $2.

On tours and ashore tip as you would at home.

Once you are on the ship all of your tips expect for room service and spa services are covered. Most people do not add any over and above the $10 per day unless they use room service or the spa.

It is customary to tip the porters whole help with your luggage between $1 and $2.

On tours and ashore tip as you would at home.

I sure would like to know where you get this data from regarding most people do not tip over the norm of $10.00 per person per day (excluding room service or spa services). Alone in this thread many have said they tip ADDITIONALLY....Including myself !

I sure would like to know where you get this data from regarding most people do not tip over the norm of $10.00 per person per day (excluding room service or spa services). Alone in this thread many have said they tip ADDITIONALLY....Including myself !

Most people are not members of cc:D I would assume zqvol is correct........

Well unless the person has facts to support that blind statement of "Most People do not tip over the $10.00 amount", I don't think it is a factual statement. I know I certainly don't go asking everyone I am around but sure see alot of "palming" going on in the restaurants, bars, etc.... ! :rolleyes:

Well unless the person has facts to support that blind statement of "Most People do not tip over the $10.00 amount", I don't think it is a factual statement. I know I certainly don't go asking everyone I am around but sure see alot of "palming" going on in the restaurants, bars, etc.... ! :rolleyes:

Are any of these posts factual statements:confused::p LMAO!!!

I'm pretty average & I generally tip more than the recomended amount.

Even when I took my average young adult daughters on a cruise and they had tiny budgets, they tipped extra along the way in addition to the auto tip. (On their own, not at my suggestion).

My SO is close with a dollar (average tight wad) and even he tips above and beyond.

I think the average person tips better than some would give them credit.

You asked what other people do, so here it is......

We keep the auto tips in place, and then tip whomever whenever whatever we feel like. We have not tipped at the beginning of a cruise (I look at doing that as bribery). If a bar server has been particularly attentive I'll slip him an extra dollar or two here or there. Room service a dollar or two depending on how much we order. We usually give extra to the room stewards and wait staff at the end of the cruise; amount varies. For us, it's a "feeling" thing.

Tipping is a personal preference. Do what you feel is right.

We do the same thing you do. If anyone goes above and beyond for us they get extra from us at the end - depends on the person and the feeling. We've been known to leave anywhere between $20 and $50 each extra at the end of the week for the waiter, assistant waiter, steward, our favorite bartender, or cocktail server. But it all depends - some cruises where the service was just ok we didn't feel the need for extra - other cruises we had exceptional service and just about everyone got something extra. Room service I usually give $2 for breakfast, $3 or $4 for a larger lunch or dinner order. But I used to work room service in a hotel so I may be biased on that one!

We tip our waiters, those we have dined with tipped our waiters as well. That or they gave them sticks of gum. I saw them put something in the hand of the waiter and the waiter smiled.

We tip our room steward as well. My wife's parents tip over and above the daily minimum as do my parents.

So, I can say 100% of the people I know that cruise tip over and above the daily minimum.

I was wondering if the additional tips for drink service are done with cash or do you add on to SS card?

My 1st cruise was Christmas 2007 and I just added a dollar or two to the bill when I signed for the drink. For some reason I was under the impression that the waitstaff could not accept cash tips. Perhaps I assumed wrong. I did however tip my room steward cash at the end of the cruise.

Getting ready for 2nd cruise in 19 days and want to make sure that I bring plenty of cash if that is the preferred method of tipping for service(s).

Thanks!:D

Archived