Is December too early for many whales?

Sea Hag

Hi all,

We're booked on the Golden Princess 2/14/10. Prices for the 12/6/09 sailing have gone down substantially, which is looking pretty good to me. But the reason we booked for mid-Februrary is for whale watching. I know the whale season runs "December to March" but I don't have a clue if that means we wouldn't see many whales in early December. Help!

Of course there's never any guarantee when it comes to something Mother Nature provides (or doesn't), people I know who live in Hawaii have seen whales as early as late October. Not very many, just the very first handful. Prime season is February, when you can hardly look to sea without seeing one.

Of course there's never any guarantee when it comes to something Mother Nature provides (or doesn't), people I know who live in Hawaii have seen whales as early as late October. Not very many, just the very first handful. Prime season is February, when you can hardly look to sea without seeing one.

I know there aren't any guarantees of whaleness. I'm just wondering about likelihood. We've cruised to Alaska three times, and one of them was the case where you can hardly look to the sea without seeing one. :):) I guess I'd rather spend more money and have a better chance of seeing more whales.

If you are looking for guaranteed whales, definitely stick with your original plans for February. Prime season is mid-February through March. We rarely (sometimes never) see them in December. Have definitely seen them in April - that's when you'll see moms with calves who aren't quite ready to make the journey to Alaska. Wish I was there right now - I'd be out on a whale watching excursion as we speak. Sigh...................

Archived