Southern Lesser Antilles Islands ?

WishIwasOutThereNOW

For the most part, Carnival has never sailed to those islands. They used to go to Martinique on Southern Caribbean cruises a few years ago, but discontinued it due to poor passenger response. We went to Martinique on the Legend in 2006, and had a less than stellar experience there. Afterwards, we received a letter and survey about the Port of Martinique -- I'd never seen this before. Shortly thereafter they dropped Martinique from the itinerary. Unfortunately they dropped Barbados from the 8-night Southern Caribbean itinerary from Ft Lauderdale as well -- that's a shame because Barbados is my favorite island in the Southern Caribbean.

I don't think that the lack of Southern Caribbean islands has anything to do with fuel prices. It has more to do with the fact that Carnival's bread and butter lies in 7-night cruises and shorter. The only port that you can hit all those islands from on a 7-night cruise is San Juan, and there is limited interest cruising from there due to the airfare. Currently, the Carnival Victory hits a port every day on the itinerary -- you can't get much more port time than that in the Southern Caribbean.

That's why you see the same ports on Eastern Caribbean cruises from Miami. Carnival has tried to mix it up in the past few years with the introduction of Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and calls at Tortola.

• 3 weeks later...
now that fuel prices are back down and assuming that lasts, what are the chances that carnival puts some of these islands back on the circuit? martinique, guadaloupe, trinidad, st vincents and grenada. maybe a super southern caribbean cruise, something along that order. anyone have any guess?

Since Holland America and Princess are under the Carnival corp, these lines mainly stop at these ports. But even then, some ports like St. Vincent,Grenada, and Trinidad are visited limited.

I agree with you on I wish that cruises offer some of these island more. I can say that from visiting Guadaloupe last year, I was stunned by the beauty of the island away from the port area and it was a true sureal visit. There are some that complaint that the people on these islands don't know how to treat cruisers,but I place some of this on the cruisers themselves.

I would love to do a cruise with just nothing but all the islands in the Southern Caribbean to get a different view.

Archived