Taxi to rotorua from tauranga

hlperez

We had no problems finding a great taxi in Tauranga in January. I think it was about $75 NZ per person for a 10 person van (much less than the ship price) for a much more personalized tour. The taxis were right on the pier, wish I could remember the driver's name, but I can tell you it was a white cab and was very new and very clean!

Question!!!

Might it not be a lot easier just to book a car rental through Pelican, Avis or whatever and just drive to Rotorua on your own? Driving on the left is no big deal, even if you rent a standard, and it is agreat highway up to Rotorua.

I'd recommend Te Puia for the thermal sight to visit. Make sure you get there to the Marae before noon. That way you can enjoy the "wero" (Maori welcome) and the free concert in the village house. If you're lucky, one of the group may be chosen to be the visiting chief.

Ciao for now!!!

Why don't you book one of the private tours. We are doing Carlton Tours for $135nzd including entrance fees on March 16th. www.carltontours.co.nz

Ontario Cruiser

That looks interesting, the price is really good, we were wanting to hire a car but are concerned over the amount of time we have we are docked 7.00am till 3.00pm. We are waiting to hear from affordable adventures for a price and itinery for a private tour. We would be really interested to know how you get on.

Have a fab time, we got 11 months to wait yet!!!

:)

Question!!!

Might it not be a lot easier just to book a car rental through Pelican, Avis or whatever and just drive to Rotorua on your own? Driving on the left is no big deal, even if you rent a standard, and it is agreat highway up to Rotorua.

I'd recommend Te Puia for the thermal sight to visit. Make sure you get there to the Marae before noon. That way you can enjoy the "wero" (Maori welcome) and the free concert in the village house. If you're lucky, one of the group may be chosen to be the visiting chief.

Ciao for now!!!

Kia ora,

The wero is not a Maori welcome, but the challenge to marae visitors to ascertain whether manuhiri (visitors) intentions are peaceful or otherwise, and forms part of the initial ceremony to welcome guests onto the marae. As a local I suggest you consider Whakarewarewa which normally has cultural performances at 11.15am & 2pm. Rather than being a 'museum' type area, it's a living Maori village set in a thermal area where you can see the boiling mud pools, hot water springs etc and geysers if they are erupting at the time of your visit. The price is reasonable and you can see how the Tuhourangi Ngati Wahiao people live. See www.whakarewarewa.com for further details (the lady with the moko was one of my te reo (Maori language) teachers).

Aquarians

With your short port time, I would think you would be taking a risk just picking up a taxi at the dock. It's over an hour each way to Rotorua and Te Puia is several hours.

A car rental is the way to go if you have the port time, also there are Te Puia discounts in the coupon booklet at the parking lot, or purchasing at the visitor center. The preformace is definately worth while if you haven't seen one. And the guided tours excellent. Time is necessary here for getting all there is available here.

• 3 weeks later...

We hired a car and drove to Rotorua - it was nice, but in hindsight I actually think we should just have stayed in Tauranga instead. When we docked it looked like such a pretty place. Lots of beachgoers everywhere, nice beach, lots of shops near the port and a big hill that you could walk all around. Of course we didn't get to do any of that because we had this schedule that we'd planned and stuck to, but in hindsight we would have enjoyed ourselves just as much in Tauranga itself and saved the long drive to Rotorua.

Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there are taxis in Tauranga port that could take us to Rotorua sightseeing for the day. How much would it cost approx?

Hi, you can also book a full day tour to Rotorua through the information centre at Mount Maunganui, a 5 minute walk from the ship. Cost is $145.00 pp and this include the Te Puia entrance fees, if you want to find local tour companies in the ports of call on the cruise just google the port name followed by SHORE TRIPS or SHORE EXCURSIONS and you should get a list of companies who can help, much cheaper than the ships tours. Good luck.

Archived