Beaches: Balneario Carolina or El Escambron

Louise34

We have done SJ old/new city several times, and decided to find a beach this time. Very little is written about SJ beaches, so has anyone had experience with either of these public beaches? EG: food, restrooms, renting loungers, type of water/sand? Or any suggestions for other beaches not attached to a hotel. Thanks.

We've been to both and have written about both for our vacation guide. Take a look at these: Balneario Escambron and Balneario Carolina. Personally, I prefer Escambron. The beach in Carolina can be noisy since it's so close to the airport. Planes taking off overhead isn't exactly my a "relaxing day at the beach".

Although I didn't see the entire beach area up close, I checked the photos I took from the restaurant, and there are no lounge chairs for rent visible.

You can take a look for yourself:

Wow- lots of people- I have not seen it so full- was that a weekend?

Anyway, I can't remember people with chairs at either beach during "winter" months (when my family usually comes to visit, so I go to these beaches), but probably during April- September, I bet someone brings chairs to rent.

But since you are there in March.... I would bet no.

This time of year, you might do better finding chair rentals at Condado and beaches outside the Intercontinental hotels in Isla Verde.

Thanks you both for wonderful info, especially the photos. Looks beautiful, but being we will be at a beach for several hours and our knees/legs get kinda stiff we really would do better on a lounger!! I will check out Condado. Is the beach public outside the Intercontental hotels? I just assumed we wouldnt be able to use their beaches. thanks again.

All beaches in PR are public (even the "hotel" beaches). You can't use hotel chairs, but there is usually someone renting chairs to the public at that ESJ/ Interconntental beach.

Ask the taxi driver to get you to the beach at the hotels (there is always a Public access).

We were at Escambron on a Saturday, January 24th, about 2:30-3pm.

How was it at that time? We are getting into San Juan at 3pm, so I figure we won't get to the beach until about 4pm, and will get to have 2 hours to hang out there.

How long did it take you to get there by taxi, and what was the cost? (Actually that answer may differ depending on what pier you were at. We will be on Royal Caribbean.)

Thanks for any info! :)

How was it at that time? We are getting into San Juan at 3pm, so I figure we won't get to the beach until about 4pm, and will get to have 2 hours to hang out there.

How long did it take you to get there by taxi, and what was the cost? (Actually that answer may differ depending on what pier you were at. We will be on Royal Caribbean.)

Thanks for any info! :)

We took a taxi from the airport to our pre-cruise hotel, the Normandie, which took about 15-20 minutes. We walked to El Escambron beach from there, which took about another 20 minutes each way. It was pretty busy on a Saturday, as you can see in the pictures I posted above.

We were on Adventure of the Seas, which sailed the next day. The Normandie was one of the closest hotels to the Pan American pier and the ride took about 15 minutes. We had no traffic, but the driver did have to slow down a lot for the numerous speed bumps along the road to the Pam Am pier. If you're just coming in to San Juan for a day port of call, you will be at a different pier, in a completely different direction than we went so I don't know that my taxi infomation will help much.

• 4 months later...

Archived