barcelona to istanbul

laurelhollow

thanks all. i'll go to the link.

happy news - my husband just agreed to go on the trip if he doesn't have to get off the ship in egypt or israel.

well, at least i can walk around alexandria, port said and ashdod. not perfect, but i get the rest of the trip.

thanks all. i'll go to the link.

happy news - my husband just agreed to go on the trip if he doesn't have to get off the ship in egypt or israel.

well, at least i can walk around alexandria, port said and ashdod. not perfect, but i get the rest of the trip.

I'm curious ... why doesn't he want to get off in Egypt or Israel. Is he afraid of terrorist attacks? Or is it something else?

I was dragged kicking and screaming for a private trip (non-cruise) to Israel a little over two years ago and just loved it. Of course, we were lucky in that my husband's cousin is a licensed tour guide and she drove us around Israel in her car, so it was just the three of us. (We also went into Petra for two days and Egypt for one day.)

I have to say that I can't wait to go back based on the experience that I originally dreaded!

I can understand how some people are a little spooked by the idea of terrorism...There was a report just today about a terrorist bomb attack at a tourist site in Cairo...

But, if one thinks about it rationally (not easy to do of course), one realizes that terrorist attacks, almost by definition, are somewhat irregular and random...not really that widespread--aimed more at frightening people with the possibility...

And they are not confined merely to Israel and Egypt...or even to the Middle East...We've had terrorist attacks on New York and London and Madrid, among other places...These nuts seem to be able and willing to show up anywhere...

And, of course, whenever and wherever you travel, there are many other risks: Random violence, crime, traffic accidents, diseases...

If one is afraid to take these risks, they might as well just stay home...

I am hoping that once Holly's husband is ON the cruise, he'll loosen up a bit and want to actually go see some of the wonderful sights he'll be that close to...one step at a time...

And, of course, whenever and wherever you travel, there are many other risks: Random violence, crime, traffic accidents, diseases...

If one is afraid to take these risks, they might as well just stay home...

As you say, life is full of risk. Some risks should not be irrationally blown out of proportion. I'm sure the chance of dying or being significantly injured in your car on the way to the airport is far greater than the chance of ever being involved in a terrorist attack.

Another thing to consider is that one is not "safe" even sitting in one's own home, as proven by the recent crash of Continental flight 3407 in Buffalo.

I'm not for taking foolish or unnecessary risks, but I do strongly believe that life is too short to not enjoy it to the fullest. It seems to me that going through all the time and expense to travel around the world only to sit in a ship stateroom while docked in Israel and Egypt is a real shame.

Archived