Cancellation question

defreeze

Hi,

My travel companion may have to cancel our cruise (we are 40 days away from our cruise).

If she cancels, subject to whatever penalty she has to pay, what happens to me??

Will I be charged the price of single room?

Or do I get the single room for the price I paid?

Thanks.

If you can't replace him/her, you would have to pay a single supplement. Otherwise all singles would book a "phantom" second guest and cancel before the penalty period. For a small fee you can replace your companion if you want to try and avoid the single supplement.

If you can't replace him/her, you would have to pay a single supplement. Otherwise all singles would book a "phantom" second guest and cancel before the penalty period. For a small fee you can replace your companion if you want to try and avoid the single supplement.

Do you both have travel insurance? Seems to me that makes a difference. A friend of mine lost her husband after the final payment and her family encouraged her to go ahead on the cruise (group of seniors). I believe she told me she did not have to pay a single supplement.

Hi,

My travel companion may have to cancel our cruise (we are 40 days away from our cruise).

If she cancels, subject to whatever penalty she has to pay, what happens to me??

Will I be charged the price of single room?

Or do I get the single room for the price I paid?

Thanks.

Since you are 40 days away from the cruise, final payment has already been made. If she cancels, I thought she forfeited her $ and that you still could go alone in the same cabin without incurring any additional fees.

You really should contact your travel agent or RCCL to ask the "what if" so you know for certain.

Just found the link that pertains to cancellations:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000btTawsvvWf7GtXod0ruJXiL:13hldil87?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323&faqType=faq

Again, highly recommend contacting your travel agent or RCCL. Hope it all works out for you.

Have actually had this happen myself.

If she cancels and you still want to go, she will get her money back less any cancellation fees. You will then have to pay the single supplement. The single supplement is typically 200% of the cruise fare (but you only have to pay one set of taxes and fees) although occasionally they will offer a discounted single supplement on some cruises.

Here's an example:

Assuming a 7 night cruise and you paid $1,000 each plus $100 each in taxes and fees.

Friend will get back the $1,100 less the deposit (cancellation fee at 30-59 days) which is $250 for a 7 night cruise, so she'd get $850 back from the cruiseline.

You on the other hand would then be required to pay the single supplement which means you would have to pay an additional $1,000.

Do you both have travel insurance? Seems to me that makes a difference. A friend of mine lost her husband after the final payment and her family encouraged her to go ahead on the cruise (group of seniors). I believe she told me she did not have to pay a single supplement.

Last year my nephew and his friend was in a cabin. His friend got sick and could not go. He cancled. My nephew wouldn't have to pay any difference. But we paid the $50.00 to add my MIL on and she stayed with him. The room is already paid for weather someone else goes with you or not. The travel insurance pays the person back, if they can not go.

Since you are 40 days away from the cruise, final payment has already been made. If she cancels, I thought she forfeited her $ and that you still could go alone in the same cabin without incurring any additional fees.

You really should contact your travel agent or RCCL to ask the "what if" so you know for certain.

Just found the link that pertains to cancellations:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000btTawsvvWf7GtXod0ruJXiL:13hldil87?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323&faqType=faq

Again, highly recommend contacting your travel agent or RCCL. Hope it all works out for you.

This may have been my friend's situation, come to think of it. It was "all in the family," and the money had been paid anyway.

Archived