Crime in Antigua

baseball16

The Antigua Sun reports passenger and crew from 4 cruise ships in port last week were robbed between Sand Haven and Millers by the sea. There were only 3 police in port for 4 ships and was uncontrollable. Please read article dated Feb 23, 2009 and be careful. We are going to be there on the Jewel 3-6 and are very concerned. I know there is crime everywhere and I really believe you should be safe with a tour. Reconsider going out on your own.

The Antigua Sun reports passenger and crew from 4 cruise ships in port last week were robbed between Sand Haven and Millers by the sea. There were only 3 police in port for 4 ships and was uncontrollable. Please read article dated Feb 23, 2009 and be careful. We are going to be there on the Jewel 3-6 and are very concerned. I know there is crime everywhere and I really believe you should be safe with a tour. Reconsider going out on your own.

Thanks I had no idea I guess I will be getting all my shore excurstions through Carnival. thanks for the heads up

Thanks for posting. I went to the Antigua Sun site.....

"Another cruise passenger falls into manhole in St. Johns

Wednesday February 25 2009"

goodness....we'd better watch where we are walking on the sidewalk.:eek:

DH and I walked around Antigua alone on a Sunday last month looking for a Catholic Mass. The streets were deserted as we walked about 8 blocks from the ship. I felt alarmed until we met up with 6 other folks looking also. We shared a lovely mass and walked back to the ship with another couple.

As soon as we returned we overheard another couple describing their walking route while looking for the same church. Sadly they were robbed and beaten. They said the worst part of the experience was the filthy police station and hospital. When they returned to the ship they went to the chapel and thanked God for their lives.

The cruise line was very sympathetic and tried to help them enjoy the rest of the cruise. They just wanted to spread the word to all passengers, future passengers, and staff members who take 2 hour breaks and walk around town alone. Stay close to port or do a ship excursion with other people. Like the rest of the world, this island has a major drug problem and cruisers are their prey.

Use common sense and keep safe.

Trivia nut

As soon as we returned we overheard another couple describing their walking route

while looking for the same church.

Sadly they were robbed and beaten. ===> Welcome to Antigua! :D

They said the worst part of the experience was the filthy police station and hospital.

When they returned to the ship they went to the chapel and thanked God for their lives.

Stay close to port or do a ship excursion with other people.

Use common sense and keep safe.

Thank you for the advice!

I pass thru Antigua in late April, so I shall be bearing this in mind!

My wife's not happy that we're doing Antigua...would rather do St.Lucia instead

-------------------

In Jan.08 wife and I walked around the town, but no further than their Museum(quaint but interesting)

and then making our way back to the touristy area at the base of the two piers.

Never felt threatened or anything

but then I'm an island guy who probably doesn't look like yer average cruiser:confused:

(I don't gawk at everything and take numerous pics of silly stuff -there's a way to do it)

This upcoming trip, I hope to identify a taxi driver who is also a bit of a photographer

to impress upon him the photographic nature

of my intended half-day tour of the Southern bit of the island -Shirley Heights,etc.

for the purpose of photos -and not so much sight-seeing.

Wish me luck.:cool:

Archived