If you cruised out of Barcelona

olechka

If you cruiseed out of Barcelona, how many days before the cruise did you arrive?

The cruise leaves on Sunday, our choices are to arrive on Saturday morning or arrive on Friday morning.

Saturday morning my concern is that we'll be so tired from the overnight flight we won't get a chance to see Barcelona.

On Sunday if the ship doesn't leave until 7pm, I assume he have pretty much until 3-4 to spend in the city?

We plan to do the Hop On Hop Off bus tour to see the city.

Thanks!

We just sailed out of Barcelona on Jan 16. We arrived very early the morning of Jan 15. That day we got to see the whole Gothic Quarter, sample some Tapas, tour the Picasso Museum, and visit Barcelona's Arc de Triomphe before crashing just before 9 PM. The next morning were were up very early and got to spend a few hours on Las Ramblas and walking along the waterfront before returning to get our bags at the hotel and heading to our ship.

When we went on the Jade in January, we arrived in Barcelona on Thursday morning before our Sunday departure. I think the earlier you can arrive the better. We were extremely tired the first day and having some time to adjust and recover from the jet lag was great. We did the hop on hop off bus and got the two day pass. It was a very nice tour.

I hope you have a fantastic time in Barcelona. We thought it was a beautiful city. Not to scare you, but I would recommend carrying your valuables in a neck pouch. We put ours on before exiting the plane. We met several people on our cruise who had been the victims of pickpockets and heard about one lady who had her purse taken at the airport. Unfortunately, she had her passports in the purse and had to catch up with the cruise in Rome. My DH and I did not personally see any of this type of activity, but we did feel more comfortable having our valuables safely tucked away.

We just sailed out of Barcelona on Jan 16. We arrived very early the morning of Jan 15. That day we got to see the whole Gothic Quarter, sample some Tapas, tour the Picasso Museum, and visit Barcelona's Arc de Triomphe before crashing just before 9 PM. The next morning were were up very early and got to spend a few hours on Las Ramblas and walking along the waterfront before returning to get our bags at the hotel and heading to our ship.

So add to that enough time to see the Sagrada Familia, the Parc Guell, Casa Batllo, possibly the Fonts Majic de Montjuic, and some time to simply experience the city itself.....

3 days is good for Barcelona.... as a starter. It's my fave city in the world...can't wait to go back. :)

This was became our favorite port embarkation city for a TA in Nov/Dec 2007 (we are going back this Nov/Dec).

Last time we flew in the day before and got there about 8am. We used the cruise line transportation (not NCLs, another) for the last time. Took until 10 before getting everyone on buses. Lot's of cabs there.

When you get there, keep in mind that checkin is pretty strictly enforced. But you can drop your bags off and work off the jet lag by seeing the city.

We didn't use the hop on/hop off but instead used the metro. Definite places to go are listed above but I would also recommend going to the market Boqueria Mercado on Ramblas. Really something to see and the in market restaraunts - well it doesn't get any more local than that.

Also if you like bubbly wine, the local cava is quite fine and quite cheap - like 5-6 euros a bottle. Very-Very-Very good stuff (each V represents how many we purchased in Barcelona).

As advised, watch your wallet/purse. We did have one incident on the subway where somebody tried to snatch someones wallet (and got a nice smack in the face for it). Use something that hugs around your chest and you should be fine.

Can't wait to get back there next fall. We actually leave on Thanksgiving. Don't think they have turkey specials there so we'll have to survive on the ham and seafood.

We arrived on a Friday mid-morning for a Saturday evening departure. On Friday, we checked into our great hotel (Hotel Barcelona Center), went to a great Tapas place (la Cerveceria) for lunch, walked around Las Ramblas, toured La Sagrada Familia, and walked through Park Guell. We then relaxed for a bit in our hotel's roof-top hot tub and went to a great dinner along Las Ramblas (at La Botega). Saturday morning, we got up early -- breakfast on Las Ramblas, then went to the Picasso museum for while, and progressed to the Cathedral. We walked back to the hotel along Passeig de Gracia. We then left and checked into the cruise around 1. We left the ship and went to the Barcelona Aquarium. After that, we spend the rest of the afternoon on a beach in Barcelonceta. We were very happy with the amount of time we spend in Barcelona but loved the city so much that we could have spent more time as well. After the cruise, our flight wasn't til 3pm or so, so we went on a Montserrat tour through the cruise line ... I highly recommend it if you have time!

Great tip about pickpockerters. I had read that on CC before we left, so we had everything around our neck under our shirts. Sure enough, nicely dressed middle aged man "bumped" my husband on Las Rambles and tried to take his wallet from his pocket, fortunatley it wasn't there! Since then, we've heard of 2 friends who were pickpocketed. One was a chaperone of college students and lost $1000. The other man's wife grabbed the woman and got his wallet back, but somehow the woman managed to take $300 out of it. He did save his credit cards and drivers license though.

Obviously, everyone loves Barcelona...there just can't be enough said for this beautiful city. We were only there for 1 afternoon and then the day of the cruise. It simply was not enough time and we didn't get into the cathedral because the line was too long. :( We only slept for two hours because there was just too much to take in and were the last passengers to board the ship! I can not wait for the opportunity to return and explore this very clean, very exciting city again.

I guess not enough can be said for the pickpockets either...sadly. It was the first time that I saw backpacks being used as frontpacks - by the locals as well as the tourists. I found the worst place for pickpockets to be inside the Old Gothic Cathedral and I thought another good place would be when people had their eyes focused on the street performers.

I agree with sjbdtz = 3 days would be great! On revisiting your post I see you don't have that option. So - definitely see the Sagrada Familia first! and the other Gaudi buildings, Las Ramblas, and have tapas and sangria.

Obviously, everyone loves Barcelona...there just can't be enough said for this beautiful city. We were only there for 1 afternoon and then the day of the cruise. It simply was not enough time and we didn't get into the cathedral because the line was too long. :( We only slept for two hours because there was just too much to take in and were the last passengers to board the ship! I can not wait for the opportunity to return and explore this very clean, very exciting city again.

I guess not enough can be said for the pickpockets either...sadly. It was the first time that I saw backpacks being used as frontpacks - by the locals as well as the tourists. I found the worst place for pickpockets to be inside the Old Gothic Cathedral and I thought another good place would be when people had their eyes focused on the street performers.

I agree with sjbdtz = 3 days would be great! On revisiting your post I see you don't have that option. So - definitely see the Sagrada Familia first! and the other Gaudi buildings, Las Ramblas, and have tapas and sangria.

We couldn't agree more, we had 3 days and saw enough...anything further, you really don't need to be on a cruise!:eek:

Yes there are cabs from the Airport for 5, there was 4 of us with plenty of luggage and we had room...

Bright Lights, Big City!:D

We arrived Wednesday afternoon for a Sunday cruise departure. This felt about perfect because we used Wednesday afternoon and evening to catch up on rest from travel. Then, had Thursday, Friday and Saturday for touring. We went to the ship mid-morning on Sunday. Barcelona is one of our favorite, favorite cities to visit.

The first time I cruised out of Barcelona I arrived the morning of the cruise. What a mistake, Direct from the airport to the ship and started our cruise exhausted.

The last time I booked 2 nights pre-cruise. It was perfect for me. Airport to the hotel. A couple hour nap and off to enjoy the city in the afternoon and meet friends for dinner. Had a full day of touring the next day. You really don't have much time the day of the cruise. They started boarding around 11 AM and I was enjoying the start of the cruise with a nice lunch in the main dining room at noon.

my husband and i did a 14 day Mediterranean cruise with RCCL out of Barcelona for our honeymoon (AMAZING CRUISE!)

we arrived i guess 2 days early. we got to Barcelona mid afternoon then that evening went to la Sagrada Familia and then crashed earlier. spent the entire next day sightseeing then the third day we got ont he boat. we could have used more time but definitely did alot in the time we did have.

Barcelona is an AMAZING CITY

We are arriving in Barcelona the morning of our cruise----we had no choice!

Silly question---Are there cabs/vans for five at the airport?

Don't worry....in your lifetime, you will go back!:p We ALL do after a taste of Barcelona!:cool:

Sorry I don't know about the cabs. We had 7 people and just took 2.

Enjoy!

The last time I booked 2 nights pre-cruise. It was perfect for me. Airport to the hotel. A couple hour nap and off to enjoy the city in the afternoon and meet friends for dinner. Had a full day of touring the next day. You really don't have much time the day of the cruise. They started boarding around 11 AM and I was enjoying the start of the cruise with a nice lunch in the main dining room at noon.

I called NCL today and was told that we would not be allowed to board until 1PM.

I have reservations at the FGA Liceu Apartments and checkout time is 11 AM. I have requested a later checkout at 12 PM.

If we have to checkout at 11, how far is it to the port? If we get in line, do you think they will let us go ahead and check in?

Our plan is to check in and get back off the ship and continue to explore Barcelona for a few hours.

Thanks

I suggest flying in at least the day before just to be safe. I did that and took the bus into the Las Ramblas area. We had to roll our bags quite a ways from the bus stop to our awesome Hotel Jazz but the price was right (for the bus not the hotel). It was an excellent hotel we'd heard which is why we went there.

Anyway, (if anyone is interested)you walk out of the airport and the public bus is right there. We enjoyed our ride and talked with others who were just arriving. Even though there is lots to see you can get a good flavor for the town if you have one full day and the next morning to hop around the city. Our return flight was 4pm so we also had a bit of time on the last day.

As for jet lag, I think if you are leaving from the northeast you could arrive the day before, otherwise more time would be best. Having flown from NYC I don't envy the west coasters going to Europe.

I would definitely LOVE to go again someday, I hope I do.

Adios,

Rita

I called NCL today and was told that we would not be allowed to board until 1PM.

I have reservations at the FGA Liceu Apartments and checkout time is 11 AM. I have requested a later checkout at 12 PM.

If we have to checkout at 11, how far is it to the port? If we get in line, do you think they will let us go ahead and check in?

Our plan is to check in and get back off the ship and continue to explore Barcelona for a few hours.

Thanks

Even though they say check-in is 1p.m., we've NEVER waited that late. What I sould suggest....get up in the morning, leave your luggage at the hotel & go explore. At noon, go grab your stuff & head to the pier. You'll likely be in the line right away, which has been very quick for us both times. The biggest bottle-neck is the security xray machine, because they only have a few....once you're past that, there are dozens of check-in agents.

Note that the pier is not easy to walk to, although it IS right near downtown. If you plan to go back & forth, budget for taxis in both directions.

I would definitely LOVE to go again someday, I hope I do.

The Catalanian thing to have would be "Chocolate y churros"! Yummy. (hot chocolate, with a side of deep-fried pastry rope-like things, rolled in sugar!)

Just say choc-o-lat-ay E chooros, por favor.

Archived