Sun - Alaska - East Coast Air Question

CruiseShelly

My first recommendation is for your to strongly consider adding days for interior Alaska travel. I never consider any one way Alaska cruises without at least another week. How often are you going to get there, take advantage. :) Plenty to see and do.

At the VERY least, look at an overnight flight, then you can rent a car, or take a PWS boat tour and the train to Anchorage. Well worth the time.

Otherwise, you need to consider a noon or later flight out of Anchorage. Several transfer options with cruiseline contracted buses and independent shuttles. listings http://www.anchorage.net

There is a big problem with this itinerary, that I am keeping track of for "correction" and more information before I book. It's the Juneau port time- it's not realistic what so ever. Hopefully, it will be extended- but could be a problem because it shares dock space with the Pearl?? Or it will sail Tracy Arm- which would be another good thing. Otherwise, it's going to be a big bust, IF it keeps the current schedule which is a poor choice all the way around for me.

We needed a southbound cruise the weekend of the 4th July, so it was the NCL Sun or HAL Veendam. We decided on Sun for several reason even though we prefer HAL line.

We will be birdwatching in Alaska the 10 days before the cruise, on our own in a rental car ending up at Whittier the morning of the 4th. I can't book our airfare to Anchorage or home from Vancouver yet (too far out for them to take the reservation), but any experience with air is helpful. I don't believe there are overnights GOING to Alaska, but certainly there are coming home from Vancouver.

I believe this will be a new itinerary for NCL from what I can tell, so no telling what they will do with the port times between now and then.

Archived