Front Balcony vs. Side in Alaska

AdoptAtty

We are booked in an AF Mini Suite on the Star to Alaska... after our upgrade to an AA Owner's Suite on the Dawn recently I'm thinking of taking the plunge to an AC on the Star to Alaska... I know the perks and room changes, but what about the side balcony vs. front of ship balcony while doing the inside passage? On my Eastern Caribbean we couldn't hardly use the front balcony while sailing. Can you while on the inside passage?

Front is where you want to be, if wildlife spotting. You do realize this routing is the least

Inside Passage?? You essentially have 2 sea days, first and last of the week. In my opinion, it is also "necessary" to purchase the add on Tracy Arm jet boat tour, IF you want to see any glaciers and overall grossly superior to anything seen from the ship in Tracy Arm.

We are booked in an AF Mini Suite on the Star to Alaska... after our upgrade to an AA Owner's Suite on the Dawn recently I'm thinking of taking the plunge to an AC on the Star to Alaska... I know the perks and room changes, but what about the side balcony vs. front of ship balcony while doing the inside passage? On my Eastern Caribbean we couldn't hardly use the front balcony while sailing. Can you while on the inside passage?

I assume you are talking about it being too windy on the front balcony on your previous cruise. It would be the same thing with inside passage front balcony. They are simply too windy for my liking. We loved our side balcony much better. You can always go to an inside front of ship area to view the scenery without enduring that endless breeze. Plus, it's cold in Alaska and it would be a very chilly breeze.

We were on the port side for the inside passage. The wind can be a real problem at the front or on one side of the ship. We really noticed the difference between the trip up and the trip back down. When we were on the lee side, we could use the balcony a lot. When on the windward side, it was too cold to go out. So essentially, we could use the balcony for half the trip, and on all the port days. Hope this helps

It's true, while you are sailing it's too windy to be out on your front balcony. However, we always have an AC - cabin 10000 when sailing, and we had one to Alaska for the Inside Passage. It was amazing being on the front of the boat while sailing into Glacier Bay, and also just sailing into ports, or hanging out while in port. Also, we love having a butler!

We have an AC - cabin 10000 to the Eastern Caribbean in April!

Go to an AE if available you get the best of everything for less money than an AC. You get the butler AND you get a balcony on the back of the ship out of the wind AND you get to see the shore on both sides of the boat. We were on the Spirit in Alaska in the back in an Owners suite it was the best! When they cruise Tracy Arm to see the glaciers they turn the ship around several times so back or front it does not matter.

Your choice is a no brainer in my world. Do the AE instead of the AC. Out of the wind is a huge benefit when cruising Alaska because you want to be on the balcony watching the shore for wildlife.

Enjoy!

It's true, while you are sailing it's too windy to be out on your front balcony. However, we always have an AC - cabin 10000 when sailing, and we had one to Alaska for the Inside Passage. It was amazing being on the front of the boat while sailing into Glacier Bay, and also just sailing into ports

So are you saying you could use it when in Glacier Bay and sailing into ports, but otherwise too windy??

We LOVE the front facing cabins. In fact, we have rebooked the Sun specifically to get an AE directly under the observation deck for Alaska again this summer. There is good wind-shielding offered by the solid balcony on the front, although there did seem to be more water accumulating on this balcony than on others..... Also (I know that you are on a different ship, but I post this comment for others considering the Sun) the AE's on the pool deck at the front are much larger than most AEs...

Sorry but the aft cabins are the place to be on an Alaska cruise. I would rather have the entire ship as my wind block vs some little piece of plexiglass on the balcony. Plus at night when the ship is really moving you cannot go out on the balcony because of the wind. Go for the AE cabins on the Pearl or Star in the aft!

I would go with the side balcony. Glacier Bay was extremely windy and you won't be able to be outside in the front balcony. The drink stand was blowing off the ship, they had 6 crew members holding it down. The captain turns the ship around, so you do an equal amount of time in front of the glaciers on each side of the ship.

Archived