Booking questions

sempronialou

Hi everyone! First time poster, short-time lurker. This is a wonderful website and I am thankful for the people who directed me here. I have a few questions. My husband and I are finally taking our long overdue honeymoon (5.5 years late) in June around our wedding anniversary. Anyway, I've been researching cruises on AAA's website and reading reviews here. I figure since I belong to AAA, I'd book it through them. Now I'm wondering if I should book it through a travel agent or discounted travel website such travelocity or through the cruise line directly. Is there any difference? I also noticed that I can book the flight with the cruise at AAA and it'd be included with the cruise price. I noticed on the cruise line website as well. Is this normal protocal? Should I do that or book the flight separate? We're planning on flying the day before and staying overnight in a hotel just to be on the safe side.

I'm very excited and hope we finally a long vacation this year. I haven't really had an official vacation in years (seriously, years!). I'll probably have more questions coming. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I personally book through the cruise line directly. You can call them and get details about your reservation at any time. If you use a TA, you must go through the TA to get any information on your cruise, since the cruise line won't talk to you directly about it. That being said, several people use TA's and have no issues at all...just be sure you know the TA. There have been horror stories about the discount internet agencies (though I'm sure they work fine most of the time), but I'm not going to risk it. Also with a TA you usually get some OBC, so that might be worth it, if you know a good TA. AAA should be reputable, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about booking through them before. Just FYI - be careful about posting anything about a TA or online agency, since Cruise Critic guidelines don't allow it most of the time.

If you plan to fly in the day before the cruise and you are going during a time there shoudn't be bad weather, I wouldn't pay more to add air to your cruise. (I've always found this to be more expensive, but if you get a good deal, it might be fine.) We have always found a better deal arranging our own air and hotel. You can look at your departure port board here on Cruise Critic to find good hotels in the port area. You can also join the "roll call" board for the cruise you choose and find out where other people on your cruise are staying the night before the cruise.

I'm sure someone else here can tell you the pros and cons of using a TA...there is probably an even amount here who book directly and who use a TA.

Hope this helps. You will have a great time on your cruise!

first, welcome to CC and cruising...second we are not allowed to name TAs on this site......

that said i generally book on my own...sometimes i transfer to my TA, sometimes not.

9 times out of 10 you can get better air booking on your own. most bricks & mortar TAs charge you to book air tickets as they don't get commission on them.

since it is your 1st cruise you may want to use a TA....many lines do not allow discounting (like RC) so you will pay the same price regardless....unless a TA has group space. You can get some on board credit (OBC) or pre paid tips or insurance.....

you need to know if they will charge a cancel fee, if they will honor a price drop (some TAs will look for these, otherwise, you should keep doing pretend bookings on the cruise lines web site...and call your TA to see if you can get the lower price....

keep reading through CC - lots of great info....

The three letter agency you mentioned [not allowed to mention names here] has some of the worst TA's I have ever seen and I would never book through them. they also are far from the cheapest way to go. I have read many Horror stories about them and my own experience with them in the past tells me those stories are accurate.

Also book your own air not through the cruiseline. You can do much better booking it yourself and choose your flights. Cruise air is really horrible.

also buy your travel insurance from a third party not the cruiseline, try somewhere like insuremytrip.com to compare and select a policy.

You can also book directly with the cruiseline, perhaps if they have a special and then transfer the booking to an online agency, [after doing research] I use two that are excellant. and take advantage of any specials they offer as well.

The "three A agency" only books a few lines, and will tell you that any line they don't book is inferior. They also made a big deal offering a discount to an "unbelievable" price for a Carnival cruise we were considering. Well, I was born at night, but not last night...... It ended up being 50 bucks more than booking direct, and there were no credits or anything else to make it worthwhile.

As for the "ocity" one you mentioned...... I have no experience with them. But they have been around awhile, and looked like they could have saved us a good bit of money on an expensive cruise.

You can also book directly with the cruiseline, perhaps if they have a special and then transfer the booking to an online agency, [after doing research] I use two that are excellant. and take advantage of any specials they offer as well.

You've mentioned that before and I've been meaning to ask you about that. What do you do? Transfer after the deposit, but before final payment? Why does a cruiseline allow that, and why would a TA do it?

You've mentioned that before and I've been meaning to ask you about that. What do you do? Transfer after the deposit, but before final payment? Why does a cruiseline allow that, and why would a TA do it?

Yes usually after deposit and before final payment that way I can get any offers that the TA has.

all cruise lines allow this and for the TA it is a good deal you have already done most of the work and they still get the commission once you transfer it to them.

How you do it varies by line but normally you call the TA you want give them the booking number and they call the cruiseline and Pick up the reservation, add their own perks to it and in the ones I use put you on the watch list for any further reductions that may come along etc.

A few lines require you to call them and tell the you are transferring to So and So and a couple have done it on a conference call.

Yes usually after deposit and before final payment that way I can get any offers that the TA has.

all cruise lines allow this and for the TA it is a good deal you have already done most of the work and they still get the commission once you transfer it to them.

How you do it varies by line but normally you call the TA you want give them the booking number and they call the cruiseline and Pick up the reservation, add their own perks to it and in the ones I use put you on the watch list for any further reductions that may come along etc.

A few lines require you to call them and tell the you are transferring to So and So and a couple have done it on a conference call.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. Already paid for this one. Our first cruise is 6 weeks off, and mamma's already talking about the next one. :rolleyes: I'll have to keep that in mind.

Thanks everyone, that's very helpful. I've never used a TA. I've always done the booking online myself when it comes to hotel and plane reservations, so I guess I'll just stick to doing it myself directly. It seems less of a hassle. But then again I worry that something will go wrong and I won't know who to contact. I figured since I have this certain autoclub might be worth a looking for a discount, but I didn't notice any price difference online. It's just helpful to see what cruises are available on different lines. I'm looking to book a Princess cruise in the Caribbean.

Off topic a bit: Can anyone tell me how I can edit my post once I post it? I want to take out the names I mentioned in my OP, so I'm compliant with board policies.

Thanks everyone, that's very helpful. I've never used a TA. I've always done the booking online myself when it comes to hotel and plane reservations, so I guess I'll just stick to doing it myself directly. It seems less of a hassle. But then again I worry that something will go wrong and I won't know who to contact. I figured since I have this certain autoclub might be worth a looking for a discount, but I didn't notice any price difference online. It's just helpful to see what cruises are available on different lines. I'm looking to book a Princess cruise in the Caribbean.

Off topic a bit: Can anyone tell me how I can edit my post once I post it? I want to take out the names I mentioned in my OP, so I'm compliant with board policies.

you only have a very short time to do it..like 15 minutes...there is a little button in the bottom that says "edit"

you hit that, and you can correct it....

you CAN hit the red triangle too....it will bring up a box to send a message to the moderators....they can remove the TA names.....they may remove the entire thread...,..but maybe they will just fix it.....

(and for the record SOME of the TAs at that alphabet place are actually great.....i don't use them for perks, but for that 'if something wacky happens' thing......although i have traveled enough that i'm comfortable solo! my TA at the alpahbet place is excellent though.....as are all but 1 in her office...and that one is decent, but a little dippy!)

Archived