Carry on bags

veggie59

Hi...I was wondering if anyone had any idea how strict the airlines actually are on the carryon bags.

I took out our carryon bags today. I had checked the airline website and it seems as though the bags I was going to use may be too large. I have used one of the bags 3 or 4 times before with no problems...the other has never been used. They both measure the same size......48" when the width, height and length are added together. The website states that they should not be larger than 45". Ugh.....have they lowered the allowance over the last 4 years or so? They are the duffle bag type. Anyone have any recent experience with carryons?

Yes, they do check if it appears too large, and 3" is a big difference. I would not chance it. Just check it. Your fellow boarding passengers will appreciate it too.:)

The idea is to cut down on checked bags as the fees add up. As I have seen in the past....there are many people with carryon bags. The question is whether I want to chance it or not. Just didnt know if other travelers have had similiar type bags and how they faired.

I've flown 3 times this year and the size of the carry-on bags was never checked. As long as it fits in the overhead bin, I think you'll be fine.

Thanks.....I posted under our roll call too. Just wondered.....I really wouldnt want to have to check 2 more bags. I am hoping to cut the bags down to one large and a garment bag as well as 2 carryons. Originally I was thinking 3 checked bags.......hopefully I get it down to 2. :)

Actually, we usually put our bags on the floor under our seat....in the past it has been okay.

Thanks.....I posted under our roll call too. Just wondered.....I really wouldnt want to have to check 2 more bags. I am hoping to cut the bags down to one large and a garment bag as well as 2 carryons. Originally I was thinking 3 checked bags.......hopefully I get it down to 2. :)

Actually, we usually put our bags on the floor under our seat....in the past it has been okay.

Yeah.. it's still OK to put your bag underneath the seat in front of you. :)

The idea is to cut down on checked bags as the fees add up. As I have seen in the past....there are many people with carryon bags. The question is whether I want to chance it or not. Just didnt know if other travelers have had similiar type bags and how they faired.

Fly Southwest. They have no fees for 2 checked bags.:D

How many days are your cruising, how many of you are there?

I've flown 3 times this year and the size of the carry-on bags was never checked. As long as it fits in the overhead bin, I think you'll be fine.

I understand, but were they oversized? If they were, they were likely to be overweight as well.

Some airlines have been known to check that luggage will fit in a pre-determined template. If your luggage won't fit you'll have to check it.

It's slightly easier to just get a bag that fits the proper dimensions. I packed for a 9 day cruise and basically had all my clothes in a carry-on. We still took a checked bag to bring home souvenirs etc.

Fly Southwest. They have no fees for 2 checked bags.:D

How many days are your cruising, how many of you are there?

We leave for our cruise on 3/19.....airfare is already booked on American. We are cruising 9 days on the Jewel and have 1 day pre and 1 day post cruise at a hotel. There are 2 of us.

We leave for our cruise on 3/19.....airfare is already booked on American. We are cruising 9 days on the Jewel and have 1 day pre and 1 day post cruise at a hotel. There are 2 of us.

With your cruise history, I'm betting you have packing down pat! ;)

Some airlines have been known to check that luggage will fit in a pre-determined template. If your luggage won't fit you'll have to check it.

It's slightly easier to just get a bag that fits the proper dimensions. I packed for a 9 day cruise and basically had all my clothes in a carry-on. We still took a checked bag to bring home souvenirs etc.

Wow....with the 2 of us we usually have a large garment bag, 2 large suitcases, and one small.....plus carryons. This time we are trying to pack lighter to save on fees.

I would rather not have to buy smaller bags if the ones I have will pass.

With your cruise history, I'm betting you have packing down pat! ;)

Getting better.....I WANT to take less, but then I am afraid I wont have enough of something. I used to take 2 pairs of sneakers and tons of socks....you never know when you might get your feet wet while on an island....lol. The last cruise I did only take one pair. I still take different color purses to go with dinner outfits.....I am trying to cut back.

My nephew just got back Friday from his first cruise. He said he WAY over packed. I laughed.

Hi...I was wondering if anyone had any idea how strict the airlines actually are on the carryon bags.

I took out our carryon bags today. I had checked the airline website and it seems as though the bags I was going to use may be too large. I have used one of the bags 3 or 4 times before with no problems...the other has never been used. They both measure the same size......48" when the width, height and length are added together. The website states that they should not be larger than 45". Ugh.....have they lowered the allowance over the last 4 years or so? They are the duffle bag type. Anyone have any recent experience with carryons?

If they are duffle type bags, you can buy compression straps online or at any outdoorsy store like REI or EMS. They will help "shrink" your bags by a couple of inches so they will fit in the bins just fine.

Actually....on the website they said the weight limit is 40lbs for carry ons and 50lbs for checked bags.

OK.. but they don't weigh them. :p

And I know what you mean by planning for every possibility that could happen. I take way more then I need, but it's so hard to decide what gets sacrificed!

I flew on United twice this year and both times, the airline employees made an announcement at the gate stating if you wanted to check your carry-ons at the gate you could to save time and trouble finding space on board. They did not charge for the checked bag because you are "doing them a favor". You could always offer at the gate if you see the flight is full. Good luck!

I dunno...this may sound silly...but with a duffle type bag, can't you just smush the extra 3 inches to make it fit? Now you guys have me worried. DH has a duffle carry on, 3 inches over the size limit, but I figured we'd just "smush" it. It won't be overstuffed. Your thoughts?

you said: still take different color purses to go with dinner outfits.....

OK, I'm a guy, but still, I don't see a need for a purse on board. Your key card is all that you need. Your cabin is not that far away for any "emergency".

If you really need a purse, how about only one and in black??

you said: still take different color purses to go with dinner outfits.....

OK, I'm a guy, but still, I don't see a need for a purse on board. Your key card is all that you need. Your cabin is not that far away for any "emergency".

If you really need a purse, how about only one and in black??

Correct answer bakerintn. Little black purse, little black dress...good to go!:) Better yet, on NCL none of the above!:p

Lol on the purses....but I guess I just like to coordinate my outfits. If I am wearing navy....I use a navy purse.......tan....a tan purse.....all else a black purse. We are not talking large purses....they are minis. And yes I need a purse for my key card, lipstick, comb, and what ever else. I guess some dont primp while on vacation......that isnt me. Some would call me high maintenance. :eek:

Archived