A question and a request regarding food

craftykitty

I have a shellfish allergy and as yet it hasn't been life threatening, although, I have had some severe reactions (eyes swelling shut from handling shrimp) mostly because I've not attempted to eat any shellfish in 38 years. I'm smart enough to know not to order anything with that I will react to, but I'm looking for opinions on whether I should notify the Special Needs/Dietitary Section to ensure nothing is put on my plate that has shellfish in it either?

My other request - can someone who's recently off the 4 day Western Carribbean on the Imagination post or email me copies of the Capers and the daily menus. It would sure help me pre-plan a lot of meals.

I have a shellfish allergy and as yet it hasn't been life threatening, although, I have had some severe reactions (eyes swelling shut from handling shrimp) mostly because I've not attempted to eat any shellfish in 38 years. I'm smart enough to know not to order anything with that I will react to, but I'm looking for opinions on whether I should notify the Special Needs/Dietitary Section to ensure nothing is put on my plate that has shellfish in it either?

My other request - can someone who's recently off the 4 day Western Carribbean on the Imagination post or email me copies of the Capers and the daily menus. It would sure help me pre-plan a lot of meals.

Why would you even hesitate to notify Special needs? You have a problem, deal with it, IN ADVANCE!

Dan

My wife has a bunch of food allergies and if she eats something that she should not will give her a migraine.

We ask the heat waiter to send over the asst maitre d and we look at the next nights dinner menu and they make it to order. Works out fine and give the asst a very nice tip for her help.

However since they cook a lot of things in the kitchen why take a chance. Would suggest you contact special needs.

Golfadj

That would be useful, but not required. My best friend is allergic to lobster, and just avoided anything with lobster on the menu (lobster night, sauces, soups, etc). She's never had a problem in 6 cruises (other than the first cruise, which is HOW she discovered she's seriously allergic to it!).

But for peace of mind, it would probably be a good idea.

thanks for posting this - i have a number of food allergies the worst being shellfish and almonds. i do what i do when i go out to dinner: tell the waiter and manager of food allergy and they are extra careful.

and i keep my epi-pen and benedryl with me at all times.

We travel on the Paradise 3 & 4 day with a family whose son is allergic to shellfish, chocolate and raw egg whites. Our DD is allergic to treenuts and peanuts. The only problem we have encountered with this has been the chocolate sauce under the key lime pie and the walnut bread on the cheese plate. Our mistake completely. We didn't notify our waitstaff until we noticed the offending items.

He has not had a problem with having shellfish in his food on board. Contact special needs now and the dining room staff when you get onboard. Better safe than sorry. There is a wide variety of choices within each area of the menu. Usually poultry, beef, fish and veg choices.

Watch out for the Mongolian Grill . I do not know what sauces they use, but I do know that the pans are just wiped between uses. We just didn't eat there. The sushi bar might or might not have shellfish. Check to see if they use Krab or crab in the California Rolls.

Have fun on your cruise!

I have anaphylactic reactions to mollusks, which is pretty avoidable, but some restaurants will cook scallops next to other foods.

Strangely enough, I can eat shrimp, lobster and crab without any problems.

Some of these seafood allergies are very strange, and even if you haven't reacted too bad in the past, you can react severely the next time, so, IMO you should inform them of your dietary limitations right now.

ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, YES/YES/YES.

They put things in recipes that you would have know of knowing what the contents are like anchovies in a caeser salad. Plus the way they prepare food could use the same knife used to cut shrimp or something. Definately let them know.

I agree, they should be advised before the cruise, or at least discussed first thing on board.

As a retired N.O. chef, I know that some stocks are made from shellfish and fish. We used lobster shells and shrimp shells for many of our stock bases. The knives wouldn't/shouldn't present a problem. All seafood should be designated in one area, as is chicken, to prevent intermingling. Hopefully, they do this as precautionary measure.

So - you definitely need to let them know. I hope y'all have an allergy-free cruise!

I definately agree with the others.. Do tell them about this allergy before getting on the ship. Call your PVP or Travel agent if you have one.

We had a person in our group on our last cruise that had a shellfish allergey.. and she had a reaction cuz something touched her plate.

The more they know.. they better they can handle it. :)

Thank you every one, I tried to call when I got home from work but they were closed unfortunately. I will definitely call tomorrow and make them aware of my allergy. I know I can't have shellfish touching anything on my plate so will take all your advice and make the call.

We took our DD's stepsister on our cruise in 2006 and we notified the special needs dept of her allergy to shellfish. We also had to carry an epi pen with us. Once on the ship we went to the Maitr'd and they planned her meals out for the week. She didn't even need a menu each night. Our waiter brought her food with the rest of ours and it was correct every night.

I can't imagine why you would even ask.

Let's see.....you are going on a ship - at sea - where seafood and lobster is featured in the dining rooms........and ports of call are noted for fresh fish, soups and stews.

Notify them ahead of time-----call special services......then, follow these instructions from the website.....

Keep in mind, you are ultimately responsible for your own diet and exposure to allergens....

Can Special Diets be Accommodated?spacer.gif

Guests with diet requirements can be accommodated on board. We do not have Dieticians onboard; therefore, we can only offer assistance with simple requests such as the method of preparation of menu items. The special diet requirements need to be arranged with the guest's Headwaiter on the first night of the cruise. Every menu (in the dining room) has Spa Carnival Cuisine Fare. These items are lower in calories, sodium, cholesterol and fat. Salads are prepared with diet dressing. Desserts are prepared with Sweet'N Low or NutraSweet instead of sugar. In addition, each menu has one vegetarian entree. Low-cholesterol egg substitute is available upon request as well as diet jellies at breakfast.

The following simple diets can be prepared onboard:

• vegetarian
  • salt-free
  • bland
  • low sugar

The following food is not available onboard:

• Kosher meals
  • Baby Food and Formula

Archived