Ocho Rios - Trip to Dunn's River

Louise922

We'd like to go to Dunn's River to see the falls but aren't interested in a tour. Is it safe to take a taxi there and how much should we expect to pay for taxi and admission?

I have read on here that there is now a shuttle to Dunn's. That may be your safest and least expensive way to go.

Hi Louise,

In January we took a Juta taxi to the falls(at the pier) the cost there and back was $10/person and to get in the falls 15/person, we didn't take a guide at the falls, I don't think it's necessary.

We felt very safe with juta tours. We told them the time we wanted to be picked up and they where waiting for us.

Just be very polite with the natives...

Do you just walk off the ship and catch the taxi? I have head it is not pleasant to just walk off the ship and wonder around. We want to do the falls on our own timeline and not be subject to the cruise lines schedule. Had thought just catching a taxi or bus would be the best. We are not interested in shopping at all and have been warned that some drivers drop you off in shopping areas. How do we avoid this? thanks

Visit this website and you can check out all the stuff to do in JA and you can get quotes and recommendations and even reserve your tour service. This is a mom and son business and Marva and Javia Shaw are fabulous people. I am sure you will get great service if you go with them. Either way, the website is a good view.

We took a tour bus JUTA TOURS right before the exit of the pier and it was very safe. Only authorised taxi and bus allowed there. We did everything on our own time schedule. We told the driver to pick us up at the falls at 3:30 and he was there....We even had paid him full in the morning. But we didn't wonder around outside of the pier.

total for the day 25.00/ person ($10 taxi $15 falls)

There is no admission for the beach but it is very small. We still enjoyed it.

If you want to climb the falls, I would go with a tour company or through the ship. I would not do it on my own-- it is slippery and steep in places. I can not imagine having to do that on my own.

We loved it--a beautiful challenge that we will never forget.

How difficult are the falls to climb? We're in our 50s. I love to swim and do it twice a week but don't do too much weight bearing exercise as I have an arthritic knee.

It was not easy. I don't swim, but that was not an issue. I am only 4'10" and the water in the pools were rarely more than waist deep. There were some big steps up and the water is cold, if cold bothers your knee then that could be an issue too.

There were many people in our group that thought it would be an easy walk up steps, it was not. It was steep and slippery in places and not for those who are scared of heights. If you decide to do it, buy swim shoes with good rubber soles and make sure they fit well. It is an experience I loved and will never forget.

How difficult are the falls to climb? We're in our 50s. I love to swim and do it twice a week but don't do too much weight bearing exercise as I have an arthritic knee.

It's not difficult, but it's also not easy. When I went, I was 66 and in great shape, but I thought it would be difficult to explain to my doctor if I fell and cracked my head, what I was thinking when I climbed the falls? We climbed the stairs next to the falls and enjoyed watching all the "younger" folks climb the falls. Even little kids made the climb with their parnets, but I didn't think it was a good idea for me.

Now I'm sure others who are over 66 will tell you it's no big deal, but it's not easy if you have a knee problem.

Wes

It might be best if I stick to walking up the steps. I also have dodgy ligaments in my knee. I dislocated it 12 years ago just by turning around in the bathroom (you wouldn't believe the agony) and was in a full leg plaster for 6 weeks. Since then, arthritis has set in. I have to be careful with it as when I turn suddenly I can sometimes feel the ligaments 'pop.'

I couldn't bear the thought of being on a fantastic Caribbean cruise and ending up with a leg in plaster again!

We took Mark Morris's tour and went to Dunn's River Falls. It was beautiful! We had a guide for the falls and everyone in our group helped one another up the falls. At first I was a little bothered by having to hold hands with the people on either side of you but later realized this was a great benefit. There were several slick spots as well as steep spots that I needed help with navigating up the rocks. There is a halfway point where you can get off the falls and walk the rest of the way to the top. If you have knee troubles, I don't think I would attempt the falls. A very fit man who was in front of me hit a slick spot and slid down several feet. I wouldn't want to take any chances if I were you.

Archived