Smoking!!!

Danno

I am seriously considering this line BUT I have one major concern....it has been my experience that any where I find myself around a large European congregation two things are a given...WAY TOO MANY SMOKERS and they ignore any/all smoking rules.

This being said if MSC has rules and enforces them...then I can live with being in designated non-smoking areas...happily.

What are the rules...are they enforced...what are the experiences of those who have saile MSC??

I am seriously considering this line BUT I have one major concern....it has been my experience that any where I find myself around a large European congregation two things are a given...WAY TOO MANY SMOKERS and they ignore any/all smoking rules.

This being said if MSC has rules and enforces them...then I can live with being in designated non-smoking areas...happily.

What are the rules...are they enforced...what are the experiences of those who have saile MSC??

Hi Dan,

I am sailing next weekend I will post an answer to your question when I return from the first caribean sailing. Like you I don't like too many

smokers either. I think this might be more of a problem with the med

cruises as I think we will find a lot more US and Canadian cruisers on

the caribbean sailings. Like you I usually sail Celebrity and will be interested to see the comparison.

Margaret

NO................... you must nor book with MSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Europeans are such uneducated and uncouth people - and GOD FORBID they actually make up 50% of passengers in the Caribbean.

Of course because of their ignorance they cannot read so how on earth do you expect them to know where they can and cannot smoke.

In addition Europeans NEVER bathe or clean their teeth so the stench will be unbearable. They do not even use knifes and forks in the dining room.

Stick to the lines that you know and love.

Celebrity which caters to the ego of every NON celebrity ever born - and does not know the difference - will be about perfect I think.

I think you have misunderstood, or I didn't make clear (probably) my point...one of the things that attracts me to this cruise line is the chance to meet people from Europe, I can meet all the Canadians and Americans I want right here...the realities are atlooked upon differently here in Ontario than it is in Europe, (I understand this is changing...good news).

This is the same reason I shy away from events that are in Quebec...too much smoking.

However, I will, in the future try to be clearer...and in the event I am not, please ask for clarification before assuming me a biggot.

Danno,

It is a surprise to see you on this board. I have appreciated your posts when we did the Horizon, and everything you said was so true. We are booked on the Lirica in March and I too would like to know about the smoking. Following the posts about this line and ship has me a little worried though, now this is a new concern. Hope we get some more information.

The amount of smoking is going to vary on every cruise depending on the individual pax aboard; but the smoking policy is the same as on any US line & other European Lines, ie only in selected areas and none in the dining rooms. Yes, I have seen it enforced; well on the only one occasion I saw someone smoking where they shouldn't have been, and they took heed with apology.

I certainly had no problem with smokers on Lirica. The 'ashtrays' were placed in certain places about the stern decks, and that's where people went who smoked. One side of the outdoor eating area is smoking too with ashtrays on the tables, but to be honest I don't think I ever saw anyone smoking there anyway.

Books!!

I didn't know I had a following...I'm humbled.

Hope you enjoyed Horizon...appartently she has been sold. Leaving X at the end of her next Bermuda season.

With regard to MSC it's looks like a line that may show a glimmer of what X was, and wanted to be. The smoking does concern me, I have some smoke induced breathing problems (I've never smoked) so I have to be careful...I don't mind keeping to my area as long as the rules are abided by or enforced.

In your position I would follow through and expect a great cruise...look forward to seeing your review...I think we may have similiar wants out our cruise experiences.

Danno................... my sincere apologies.

The reviews will show that Europeans are frequently attacked on these boards and comments like that by Girl Cruiser "we will find a lot more US and Canadian cruisers" do little to help. I was wrong to use that as a stick to beat you.

MSC is supposedly a EUROPEAN company!!! The caribbean is an area with strong links with Europe.

There are a great many posts on here regarding smoking - and my views are documented!!

I can only say that in my experience Magwa is 100% correct and it is going to come down to the passengers - no matter what nationality.

On my sailings with MSC I a NON SMOKER have never experienced the slightest problem and saw only a few smokers.

I never encountered a single passenger smoking in a Non smoking area.

I never encountered the smell of smoke in cabins passageways lifts and public rooms.

I never encountered a staff member/passenger with the smell of smoke on clothes, hair or body.

What is sad is when Non smokers go the smoking areas and then create a scene with hand flapping, coughing, sniffing, glaring and making snide comments. This causes upset to others and can lead to retaliation.

As a NON SMOKER I am an extremely happy and contented MSC regular. One of the beauties of Lirica and Opera is the feeling of openess and space (despite low ceilings!) and one being able to move about and find an area where you will be contented and not affected by others.

I will conclude by once again making a genuine and sincere apology to you.

I hope that you will decide that MSC are worth a try and have as wonderful a time with them as we have - and hopefully will continue to - unless a great product is wrecked by Sasso and his goons.

czechmate, what a nice posting!

I quit smoking 2 years ago after 46 years. I swore I'd never be one of those ex-smokers who look down their noses at those who still do...some are worse than those who've never smoked at all! But when I enter a smoke-filled room now, I think yukky!..is this what my family had to put up with all those years?! But I'm very careful not to wrinkle my nose, make a face or wave my hand! They have as much right (unless it's a no-no) to smoke as I have not to.

I have noticed too that a lot a Europeans have quit smoking. Actually I'm thinking of my husbands family over there. There were several smokers years ago and now they've all quit. I'm assuming they are not alone!

Danno, I don't think you should be concerned but it will be interesting to hear what girlcruiser observes on her trip. On my recent Galaxy cruise there were some smokers (more women than men I noticed) but I never saw them out of their assigned areas and they created no problem for anyone else.

Thank you Cod - and welcome back. Hope that you had a fabulous time on Galaxy - and got in the mood for April'. Only 4 months away now!!!!

You are so correct - as we have several friends and family members who have quit smoking in recent times. It is still though a matter of respecting the rights of others.

There are those who would criticise me because I enjoy a glass (or 2 !! ) of wine!!

......................................................and I am NOT an alcoholic :-) :-)

I guess the other thing I should have mentioned was that those one would call the "regular" MSC "posters" are adult in outlook, considerate and courteous........a friendly group who try to be helpful. Sometimes we let rip at something and then later wish we had not!! Then comes the apology.

This you will have noted above.

And that is why some members do not bother posting any longer on here after being savaged by the MSC Cheerleader from Moronia.

Courteous considerate adult members would have no need for apologies.

Apologies do NOT make it allright afterwards

Hi Danno-

I was on the Opera last week for 2 nights for the inaugural. First let me say that after what I'm about to write I will still consider sailing on her again easily.

I had an outside cabin and the minute I walked in all I could smell was smoke. When I asked to have the cabin refreshened the cabin steward said no she already did that. I asked her to remove the bedspread as that's usually the problem and once she did it smelled much better in there. The cabins are very small, I would guess about 155 sq. ft. and it doesn't help that the chair they have for the corner desk doesn't fit under the desk thus sticks out into the walking area of the cabin. In order to get to that side of the bed you need to pull the chair out into the room in order to get by. It would be much easier if they would just change out the chairs to ones that slide under. The bathrooms are about the same size as most ships with the shower curtain that sticks to certain parts! The beds and pillows were comfortable also. As to the public areas; I noticed that one our time on the ship, there was a lot of smoke in the lounges. Now that is not to say that this is the way it will always be, it seemed that there were more smokers than non smokers with us. They do have a lot of space to sit outside of the lounge areas where you can still hear the music and be comfortable. Now, heres the best news for all of you that haven't sailed on this ship yet. The wait staff is the best I've ever encountered and the food is also the best I've ever had at sea! I thought I had died and gone to heaven when they served the crepe stuffed with cheese and topped with pesto sauce!! My mouth still waters at the thought! So, I hope this helps some. I enjoyed the ship, it has some things to work out like all new ships do. Enjoy yourselves!!

Hi Carol:

Having sailed on the Opera out of Genoa in October, I agree with you about the chair in the cabin, in fact I saw at least one parked in the hallway.Fortunately for us we didn't have any stale smoke in the cabin issue,although we did have one smoky night in the Piazza D'Espagne lounge when it was real busy. I could not agree with you more on the service by the waiters, and on the quality of the food and wine, enhanced by the fantastic company at our table. It really was a fun time at dinner. Like me, you must be a real Italian food fan.

Actually I love Italian food and not the fast food stuff! By the 3rd course I was stuffed and just "sampled" after that! My waiter must have overheard part of a conversation at our table about birthdays (mine is this Friday) and then came the singing! I laughed so hard when he kneeled down next to me singing "Happy Birt-day to ayouuuuuu!" I must have been totally red in the face but I loved every minute of it which is so not me!

So, to anyone considering this line, I say go for it! I don't think right now it's a line that caters to families with children and the cabins really are too small for more than 2 in a cabin but it's a great deal right now for the price. Take advantage of it now is what I'm telling my clients!!

Carol

Archived