Disappointed in "Disney" Cruise

kittykitty576

...one more for the "it's a Disney themed CRUISE" column.

By your logic, one would expect to eat cotton candy, see clowns & bearded ladies, and win overpriced stuff animals on "CARNIVAL" cruiselines.

And wooden shoes on Holland America..... Vikings on Norwegian.....A pea in every bed on Princess...Hollywood actors and actressess onCelebrity....help me out here I,m running out....:D

:rolleyes:

OP, I completly understand that the cruise was disappointing. And your review mixed with both good and bad was great.

But I am wondering, what did you expect it would be like? I wonder if maybe the character interaction was not as good as you thought it would be? I know the 4 night cruises do not have that many character encounters and it might be a let down. Was the dining experience not what you expected? I read a lot about how fantastic the waiters are with children, making dinner for them a show in itself. Was that disappointing to you?

I think people who love all things Disney tend to exagerate a little bit, or just a little too enthusiastic. I remember everyone raving about lobster burgers at CC. I could not wait to have a lobster burger. So I finally have a lobster burger. AAAKKKKKK! I got up the courage to post that the lobster burgers are not wonderful. In fact, they are nasty. After that, many people came out of the lobster burger closet and admitted they didn't like them either. Now you never hear anyone rave about them.

Lobster burger, DCL answer to the emperor's new clothes!

I always appreciate it when someone posts a somewhat negative review. It will lower expectations and people will be happier.

I've been to CC at least 6 times and I've never heard of or seen a lobster burger. What inthe world are you talking about?

I've been to CC at least 6 times and I've never heard of or seen a lobster burger. What inthe world are you talking about?

DCL usually only has these at Serenity Bay (the adult beach).

See! You proved my point!

They are a mixture of lobster meat and who knows what else, but mostly the what else and they are shaped like a burger and served on a bun. They were available at Cookies at CC. I have no idea if they still serve them, but my first (and last) one was in 2004. If you google lobster burger castaway cay, you will find them.

See! You proved my point!

They are a mixture of lobster meat and who knows what else, but mostly the what else and they are shaped like a burger and served on a bun. They were available at Cookies at CC. I have no idea if they still serve them, but my first (and last) one was in 2004. If you google lobster burger castaway cay, you will find them.

I know of this creation. "first (and last)" is an excellent description. On that cruise Castaway Cay came after Lobster night. Someone uh, recycled the leftovers and thus that creation was born. After a couple of bites, I left mine for Davy Jones (of the Locker, not the Monkees). Lobster must be served in it's natural habitat, drawn butter and a bit of garlic NEXT to the beef, not INSTEAD OF the beef.

I know of this creation. "first (and last)" is an excellent description. On that cruise Castaway Cay came after Lobster night. Someone uh, recycled the leftovers and thus that creation was born. After a couple of bites, I left mine for Davy Jones (of the Locker, not the Monkees). Lobster must be served in it's natural habitat, drawn butter and a bit of garlic but great effort! Stick with beef in the burgers.

Poor Davy Jones!:eek:;)

I love cruising and I love Disney. However, having experienced WDW many times and a DCL cruise once, I can honestly say that I prefer to get my Disney "fix" at the theme parks. I'm glad I went on a Disney cruise, and now I can check that off my to-do list. I will continue to choose my cruises based on itinerary and price, and if DCL has the itinerary I want at a price I'm willing to pay - I'll cruise with them again.

It's a cruise. I don't know why you would be disappointed. You didn't HAVE to send your daughter to the Oceaneers club. I happen to love cruises...there is always something to do. If you don't like Disney cruises you probably just don't like cruising at all.

Lobster must be served in it's natural habitat, drawn butter and a bit of garlic NEXT to the beef, not INSTEAD OF the beef.

AYUP...lobstah just boylld wit buttah...nuttin else..yes sirh just da wey we had eatin down east where dey come frum...u-stah liv dare yu-no..AYUP:D Got a friend lobstaman yu-no...won't eat em ...calls em "cock-a-roaches of da sea"...tale for a nudder day..

AYUP...lobstah just boylld wit buttah...nuttin else..yes sirh just da wey we had eatin down east where dey come frum...u-stah liv dare yu-no..AYUP:D Got a friend lobstaman yu-no...won't eat em ...calls em "cock-a-roaches of da sea"...tale for a nudder day..

Readin' ya post makes me homesick fah my fowma home, Ro-Dy-lan! (for those who don't speak this language, Rhode Island ;))

...one more for the "it's a Disney themed CRUISE" column.

By your logic, one would expect to eat cotton candy, see clowns & bearded ladies, and win overpriced stuff animals on "CARNIVAL" cruiselines.

Isn't that reserved for the new ship from Royal Caribbean in the Boardwalk section of the Oasis of the seas?

I love Disney and I love cruising - went on the Big Red Boat back when Disney was running it and loved it. But I think the expectations may be unclear with Disney's own ships - and I'm wondering what it'll be like.

I think an issue here is that the OP looked at how you plan a Disney World vacation as the same way you plan a Disney Cruise (or any cruise for that matter). The two are not the same.

At Disney world, to maximize the vacation, you need to have a plan of which park you are doing and when you are doing it. For instance, you plan on spending day 1 at magic kingdown, first half of day 2 at Animal Kingdom, second half at Epicott (if you have a small child), and then day 3 at MGM, and fill in the rest of the week. On a cruise, you really don't plan to far ahead. They don't hand out Navigators, or the daily newsletter early because you are supposed to sit back and go with the flow and relax.

IMHO, I think before you attack the Disney Cruiseline, you should probably go on another ship so you can compare the two and be able to critique disney better.

We too were severly disappointed in our Disney Cruise. We did the 4-day as a portion of our honeymoon and then the 7-day a few years later... We hoped we would like the 7-day better, but it was still a disappointment.

The food was just okay, not nearly enough variety.. We did the late seating for dinner and hoped to have things to do after dinner, but the ship was DEAD.. The 'clubs' are a joke and the most we saw in them was on the last night of the 7-day on the Pub night(even though it shouldn't really be able to be called a pub if it doesn't offer any cider)for the crew show and then as soon as the show was over, the crowd was gone. I don't go on vacation to go to bed at 10PM and that seems to be the norm on Disney Cruises..

The Disney things are done well, the service is great, the shows are great and I agree that we found the Disney Cruise severly lacking for us in entertainment..

And we are Disney people, we got married at WDW and vacation there at least once a year. But on a cruise I want a more adult vacation and Disney just doesn't offer that.. I'm sure I'll get flamed as Disney people don't like anyone to talk negatively about the Mouse, but I totally agree that it was a disappointing experience..

I've cruised on RCI, Carnival and Disney and am going on NCL in a few weeks and Disney by far was the most disappointing..

Lori

I agree that DCL is not a night life cruise. But for us, that is fine.

There are lots of cruiselines out there that have lots of things going on at night, but DCL is not one of them.

No flames from me, different strokes........

I will preface my comments by saying... go on any cruise you like. I don't care and I'm certainly not flaming you. If you think a person who responds with their opinions is flaming, you probably shouldn't read. I'm not bashing you, I'm just saying what I experienced on my DCL and RCI cruises.

The food was just okay, not nearly enough variety..

I'm not sure what you want here... cruise food seemed like cruise food. It was fairly comparable on both lines for me. It's like wedding food... unnecessarily "fancy" (I use the quotes because I've eaten at much fancier places... but cruise ships seem to want you to think it's the fanciest meal you'll ever eat) without that "I just had a whopper of a meal" bonus you at a TRUE fine dining restaurant. I suppose if you ordered off the "plain" section of the menu it could get dull quickly, but there were several selections each night.

We did the late seating for dinner and hoped to have things to do after dinner, but the ship was DEAD.. The 'clubs' are a joke and the most we saw in them was on the last night of the 7-day on the Pub night(even though it shouldn't really be able to be called a pub if it doesn't offer any cider)for the crew show and then as soon as the show was over, the crowd was gone. I don't go on vacation to go to bed at 10PM and that seems to be the norm on Disney Cruises..

This was true on both lines for me. RCI had more teens... so the club was overrun with them for a few songs at a time, then they would get bored and move on... then come back. However, the "clubs" on both lines sucked. We did watch some late shows and a few movies on DCL. Mostly we found something fun we could do together... whether that was walking the outside decks, laying together in a chair, misc adult nocturnal activities we enjoyed very much.

I'm not a cruisehead, but we enjoyed both lines a lot and found lots of other activities to keep us going. We played hard all day and enjoyed the companionship of each other when the cruise lines didn't have much for us to enjoy.

Archived