Which White Pass Tour w/ Railroad on Golden Princess?

MESPal

I am going with a friend in mid June and we want to do the White Pass/Yukon tour? I've cruised before in the Caribbean and we always do our own thing, but she has never been on a cruise and wants to book one of the ships' tours. On the Golden Princess several are offered from Skagway and I would like some feedback. I'm all about a 6-8 hour tour so we can see alot more and that still leaves us time for something else.

Any help with this tour from Skagway or any of the other 2 ports, Ketchikan or Juneau?

Thanks so much.

The longer the tour at Skagway the better. The independent tours do a better job, though - you're in much smaller vehicles so can stop more often, and you're not in the middle of a caravan of motorcoaches unloading hundreds of people at the major photo stops. Being late for the ship is NOT a concern in Alaska - the largest of the Skagway independents even guarantees that if it ever happened they would pay to get you to the next port.

As you are being told, missing the ship due to an independent tour operator is completely unfounded in Alaska. Especially with a White Pass combo Yukon trip, having a small group is a big asset.

As for the other ports, you need to do your homework first, look over a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. Then repost your top choices for specific information.

The longer the tour at Skagway the better. The independent tours do a better job, though - you're in much smaller vehicles so can stop more often, and you're not in the middle of a caravan of motorcoaches unloading hundreds of people at the major photo stops. Being late for the ship is NOT a concern in Alaska - the largest of the Skagway independents even guarantees that if it ever happened they would pay to get you to the next port.

Thanks, Yukon. I really am trying to talk her into an independent trip and I found skagways best tour and the options sound great, especially the 9 hour Skagway to Carcross tour. This is the one I hope to talk her into.

Thanks so much for the help.

Plan a glacier helicopter landing. We did ours in Juneau. There are several to choose from, so you can pick one of the longer ones where you see and do more. You can't appreciate the beauty of a glacier until you see it up close.

Archived