Things you learned the hard way?

Fat Boy

This is a great post! Going on my first cruise in 15 days. I will warn my family not to sit and flush - never read that anywhere before - how funny! :eek:

They make it difficult to try as most of the toilet lids cover up the flush button when open. Prepare everyone for the sonic whooooooosh.

Our most recent "learned through experience" tip is actually two-for-one. First, be sure to put sun block on the BACK SIDE of your legs before going snorkeling for 2 hours.

Second, after you have snorkeled for 2 hours with the delicate skin on the backs of your legs exposed to the Caribbean sun.....you can get relief from that raging sunburn by applying Preparation H cream! :o (not ointment!) Trust me, this stuff works better than any sunburn remedy. :cool:

:D:D:D:D:D

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I couldn't stop laughing long enough to get past this sentence!!

"Stand up before flushing on board! ESPECIALLY if you're a fatty who creates a good seal. The seat risers create a little "whistle room", but if you're not done, that first flush will scare the rest out of you! Sorry Honey... no courtesy flush on board."

gawd! Thanks for the much needed awesome laugh! And mental image!

http://www.last.fm/music/Bobby+Collins/_/Cruise?autostart

:DThis thread is not for the faint of heart. Is the comedian Bobby Collins talking about cruising.

Just for you Mr.Fat boy,with the "DH",lol.{to each his own}

Enjoy!!!!:D

I hear this often on one of XM radios comedy channel... too funny

Speaking of which, now in the public bathrooms, they got another surprise to some of us: extreme hand blowers.

Check out this funny video by World-reknowned Cruise Director Legend John Heald about the first blower on board, lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CphKwJUf_g

I haven't seen this before... TO funny!!! Thanks for posting it!!!

They make it difficult to try as most of the toilet lids cover up the flush button when open. Prepare everyone for the sonic whooooooosh.

That could be worse! If you're a little tipsy... maybe a little sleepy.. and lean back just a little too much... WHOOSH! That'll sober you up in a hurry!

Big Tex was our CD on the Fantasy (now on the Valor)... Paraphrasing him on this one:

Those little silver things on your pillow every night are chocolates, not butter. It's ok to eat them. And make sure you find them before you go to bed. Nothing worse than waking up with that melted in your hair, ear, or face.

Thanks for wondering, Fatboy, as I was mystified (still am, actually, though your two options could work) by B*** -- though your options would require another asterisk I'm willing to think it's one or the other!

Maybe it was *utt? I usually blame all those bubbles on the jets, too... But I'm betting A&J has a little more class than me!

Too funny...

And to the "health care worker" I completely understand. In the presense of strangers, I tell them that I work in a flower shop to avoid hearing about any illness that may have or think they have! ha ha... It's a little white lie that has saved me on more than one occasion, and saves everyone else within earshot from having to live through the gross and gory details!

The thing I learned the hard way...don't be afraid to take your time deciding on a bottle of wine and don't be ashamed to ask how much it cost. I got nervous at dinner, I love wine but I don't know a lot about, so I had the waiter suggest something and simply replied "That sounds good, bring us that..." I should have said, "That sounds good, how much is it?" and I wouldn't have ordered a $120 bottle of wine! BTW- the $20 bottle we had on a different occasion was just as good.

Which leads me to my second suggestion, keep an eye on your S&S account so you don't have issues or surprises on the last day. You can go to the pursers desk at any time to get a total on your account.

I learned to save money for drinks and photos! The cheezey souvenier thrills last but a really short time and wind up in the bottom of the drawer, playroom tub or the trash.

I also learned that it does rain on cruises - rather than sulking, we sat on our lounge chairs and enjoyed what sun we could and would cover up with towels when it rained. Heck, you'll drive off eventually. :D

Lastly, I learned that Cruise Critic is the BEST board to get any information.

our first cruise, our honeymoon, we were not aware food was 'included' nor were we aware that it was available 24x7 via room service and then most of the day at the windjammer cafe. so we get off the plane hungry, get on the shuttle hungry and get to the ship hungry. when we got to our room we were, you guessed it, hungry. we had the late seating (8 something) so it would be a while before we got to eat. we sat in the room and ate saltines (just happened to be in one of our bags) and peanuts (from the flight).

LOL!!!

The one thing I wish I had learned was shortly after boarding the Disney Wonder, my first cruise, is "promotional" does not mean "complimentary" on the DOD. But even after I signed my first bill, it was still a yummy Miami Vice.

I am LOVING all these discoveries. Had to LOL about the guy who asked for the check after dinner. Lucky you had a truthful wait person. :confused: I have never had "the problem" with the toilet seat/flushing issues. I could go on and on...one thing is pick out your gift shop purchases on the lst days of your cruise, then get to the gift shop AS SOON AS IT OPENS on the last day. You can be pretty sure at least some of the things you wanted to buy will be on sale. Second, as one poster mentioned about $ bills for bathrooms on the islands, I would also STRONGLY SUGGEST from FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE to also grab a roll of toilet paper or a big bunch of tissues to put in your carry OFF bag. Even if the bathrooms on the island are FREE or FEE, you never know if there are going to be wipe 'ums in there :rolleyes::( and after a day of frozen island thingys....you might need them...:eek:

I didn't think the soda card was necessary. I discovered this after purchasing it for both DH and me. Then I saw the iced tea dispenser. We each had a water bottle that was insulated. The iced tea really hit the spot, was self-serve, and just easier.

I didn't try the spa until the next to last day. If I had it to do again, I'd start with a massage, and try more of the relaxing treatments. It's a vacation!

I like the idea of less exploring, more drinking right from the start.

I'd also look around at the various backdrops before having our photo taken on elegant or other night. It was wonderful, but wouldn't have chosen the back drop I did if I would have looked around more.

I would dress less elegantly on elegant nights.

http://www.last.fm/music/Bobby+Collins/_/Cruise?autostart

:DThis thread is not for the faint of heart. Is the comedian Bobby Collins talking about cruising.

Just for you Mr.Fat boy,with the "DH",lol.{to each his own}

Enjoy!!!!:D

I jut listened to this! Now that is funny! I am sitting here all by myself laughing so hard I almost blew my B*** off!!!! I know we still don't know what B*** are, but I am laughing so hard something has to have blown off!!

You can order as many appetizers, main courses and deserts as you want.

Best time for free alcohol is during the free tasting, captains party and returning guest party and if you sit near where the servers bring the alcohol out you are more then likely to get a beer then if you sit up front.

Rear balconies are the best kept secret on the ship.

And #1, don't try to do everything they have going on or you will leave the ship more tired then when you got on.

One last.....bring a power strip with you because there are so few power outlets in the stateroom.

If you spend two hours in the tropical sun without sun screen, you will end up looking redder than the lobster tail on formal night! You often do not feel the heat because of the breeze, but your lilly white skin is burning! Sunburn will ruin your cruise and make you look like a geek!

Those sweet fruity drinks you suck down by the pool really are loaded with alcohol. If you don't hydrate (that means drink lots of water), you will end up missing dinner because you are passed out in your cabin! You will also wake up with cotton mouth, suck down the bottled water the steward leaves in the room, and have it charged to your sign & sail account!

If you don't try something new on the menu each night, you will never know what you're missing! The waiters will gladly bring you something to sample. Be daring! Try that main course you always wondered about and never ordered in a restaurant because you weren't about to waste your money on something that might make you puke. You can ALWAYS get a second main course, or a third! However, I must tell you, I went on a cruise with a buddy once who ordered sweet breads for an appetizer, despite my warning to avoid it. He claimed he loved pastry and thought it would be the perfect appetizer. It wasn't!

Archived