Seward to anchorage transfers

Can't give you a definitive answer. But can tell you that on my three previous Regent cruises, transfers (for folks doing their own air) were always offered on board. If you telephone Regent reservations, I believe they'll tell you same, but also think they'll say they can't tell you exact charge: that you'll find once on board (and usually not until towards the end of the cruise). I'm planning on doing same with our Seward-Vancouver cruise in August. Shouldn't be a problem.

I am on the July 15 Vancouver to Seward Mariner cruise. Does anybody know if transfers are offered on board from Seward to Anchorage and if so how much per person such transfers cost?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

We are also doing the Alaskan cruise, we are doing the Grandview Train gransfer and the cost is $90.00 per person, our TA took care of it for us. Hope this helps.

Raiderette: I was interested in your reply. We'll be in Anchorage for a couple of days before our Seward embarkation-- was trying to decide whether to transfer by coach or train. The train seems to take longer, plus gets to the boat virtually at embarkation time. (I'd like to be there earlier.) Also, Regent quotes $95 for coach, $139 for train. Which direction are you doing the transfer? It interests me that your TA is considerably less expensive than through Regent. Also, why'd you decide on train rather than coach? (Most of what I've read says the views are about the same,no?)

I've been researching this too as we just booked a Seward to Vancouver voyage for June. We did the Northbound route in '06 (when the ship docked in Whittier, not Seward) and did the train transfer which was a lot of fun - we saw a bear!

The alaskarailroad.com site shows if you book the transfer yourself it's $75 one way. The train leaves Anchorage at 6:45 AM and arrives Seward 11:05 AM. We're assuming we'll be able to board around 12:30 or 1. One benefit of doing the Regent transfer is that they handle your luggage so you won't have to lug it from the train to the ship. Also, I recall the trasnfer we did before with Regent seemed like a dedicated train for us, and was at an unscheduled time (like 9:30 AM - if you check the schedule there is no public train at that time). so the Regent train transfer may be later in the day than the public 6:45 AM one we're looking at. We arrive the night before from Denali on the train and are staying at the Comfort Inn which is very close to the train station.

I haven't priced out the bus because we enjoyed the train trnasfer so much last time we're looking forward to doing the train again. I will be checking with our TA to find out the price and timing for the Regent train transfer. Please post if you get any more details on the Regent transfers.

Hello,

Last summer, I cruised to Alaska with RSSC and loved it! We took the train from Seward to Anchorage and it was wonderful, worth every penny. It is about 2 hours longer than the motorcoach, but it winds through the mountains, over mountain passes, by glaciers and lakes and you really get to see the backcountry of Alaska. There are guides on the train who give you the history, background stories and tips for viewing wildlife along the way. It was so relaxing, we just walked leisurely off the ship and onto the train, which left right from the port. It dropped us right at the airport in Anchorage.

The motorcoach travels along the Interstate, much faster, much more traveled routes and you don't get to see the Kenai Peninsula. If you are in a hurry, it would be the way to go between Seward and Anchorage, otherwise, take the train!

Prices were about $130 for the train and about 50% less for the motorcoach. Worth every cent! You can book the train separately from RSSC - it is a separate travel supplier that operates the train. RSSC contracts for a private train charter for their RSSC guests.

Best Regards,

Julia

As you can tell from the post following you from jmelzie she has done this before i have not. I have read on other post that the train ride is wonderful. I used to ride the train to my grandparents when I was little so to me this is a great way to travel. I have read on other post that the train is longer but the scenery is wonderful as well. As far as the price my travel agent got it for us at that price I don't know if was due to the fact that she booked it or since we were doing Regent air if that made a difference or if the fact that they are Virtuoso made any difference I don't know. If I were you I would contact my TA.

I can echo Cheryl here. Our cruise is ending in Seward, and then we need to get to Anchorage to fly home. We're taking the Grandview train at $90/pp, arranged through my TA.

Ours appears to be at a different time than the regular Grandview schedule (we'll board around 8am on May 20, arrive at the airport around 12:30p), so I assume it to be a cruise charter.

The reviews I've read of this train ride sound like the views are fantastic; I'm really looking forward to it!

I am on the July 15 Vancouver to Seward Mariner cruise. Does anybody know if transfers are offered on board from Seward to Anchorage and if so how much per person such transfers cost?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Maybe this is a stupid question but have you called Regent? The July 15 cruise is listed as one of those with "free unlimited excursions" and both the Grandview train and transfer to Anchorage are listed as excursions under Seward. If you have contacted Regent and these excursions are not included, I would be interested in their response.

We took the Grandview train last year and it was spectacular.

Thanks to everyone.

Mike-- I'd never thought of what you mention. I guess it wouldn't work for us, since our cruise begins rather than ends in Seward, but that sounds great for OP.

And it seems to me that the train transfer is a terrific idea for those going from Seward to the airport, maybe less ideal for those of us going in the opposite direction. (I.e. who wants to get to an airport earlier than is necessary, whereas the idea of coming to the ship just as it's leaving seems a bit rushed. I imagine we'll probably do the coach, less to save $$ than to feel less rushed on embarkation day.)

Again-- thanks!

When we went on the Mariner from Seward to Vancouver, we had rented a car at the Anchorage airport upon arrival a few days earlier so we could travel to Denali and Talkeetna, so it was very convenient to take the special Regent transfer on the Grandview train from the airport to Seward. We dropped the car off back at the airport, and a few steps away was the airport train station. As Mike said, the train was spectacular. Though I have seen people comment about which is better in terms of scenery, at the time, my guidebook said the train was better than the road. I think it is true that there was not much time between our arrival right at the ship and sailaway, but it was not a problem either. The ship is not about to leave without you.

Maybe this is a stupid question but have you called Regent? The July 15 cruise is listed as one of those with "free unlimited excursions" and both the Grandview train and transfer to Anchorage are listed as excursions under Seward. If you have contacted Regent and these excursions are not included, I would be interested in their response.

We took the Grandview train last year and it was spectacular.

I did ask my TA if it was included in the unlimited excursions, and she said it was pre-cruise so it was not, just discounted. Hope this helps.

I did ask my TA if it was included in the unlimited excursions, and she said it was pre-cruise so it was not, just discounted. Hope this helps.

Thanks. After seeing your comment, I went searching on the internet and found an old (jan 09) listing of the included excursions. Vancouver and Seward were not listed.

For planning purposes, it would be nice to have all the information in one spot on the Regent website.

Can't give you a definitive answer. But can tell you that on my three previous Regent cruises, transfers (for folks doing their own air) were always offered on board. If you telephone Regent reservations, I believe they'll tell you same, but also think they'll say they can't tell you exact charge: that you'll find once on board (and usually not until towards the end of the cruise). I'm planning on doing same with our Seward-Vancouver cruise in August. Shouldn't be a problem.

I am happy to see that transfers will be offered on board. Do you know if you can pay for them with shipboard credit? We have $1000.00 shipboard credit and would prefer to use that onboard than to pay for transfers in advance. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hard copy of the "Alaska 2009 Voyages Free Unlimited Shore Excursions" on Regent letterhead that lists both the train and motor-coach transfers from Seward to Anchorage as free (shown as strike-out over the previous fares as mentioned by others). However, Seward isn't a port for on-line excursion booking so it could be done on-board or (probably) by calling Regent.

Since it is unclear from the research I've done whether the train is the regular Alaska RR run or a special train, can someone who booked it as the Regent excursion in the past post the departure/arrival times? The list of excursions says it takes 4.5 hours (motor-coach = 3 hours), but doesn't state the times. Not a big concern to us as we are spending that night in Anchorage before heading to Denali, but I like to know the details.

Thanks.

So did you get the Grandview train excursion included for free? My TA told me different. Would like to know when you get it booked either train or coach if it was included in the free excursions. My TA did call and said the flight schedule was such that Regent is paying for us to come in the night before and also giving us a dinner voucher. We were planning on coming in the night before but Regent beat us to it. Don't know our flight schedule as yet.

We have made our home in Alaska for 25+ years, and are now enjoying a temporary assignment overseas; we love Seward, and try to spend a week there every summer in our 30 ft 5th wheel.

Here's a few suggestions that are new to this thread:

1. Arrange a private motorcoach (ie van) that will take you either way, and arrange to have one or more of the following stops included:

- Portage Glacier visit (free if you just view from the visitor center, quite a bit more if you take the boat to the glacier face) This side trip is only 25 minutes off the hyway, and can take as little as 45 minutes, or as much as 3 hours if you take the boat option. Weather at this glacier can be VERY nasty with blowing rain and cold temps of 40 deg F or less on bad days

- Side trip to Hope Alaska: a small quiet village about 45 minute side trip off the main highway. Good pink salmon stream in July and early August (fun to catch, but most Alaskans only smoke this fish). You can spend a whole afternoon on this side trip. Motel facilities and B&Bs are OK, but after or before Regent accomodations you may consider them a clean 2 star and somewhat rustic. Google for Hope Alaska B&Bs

- Exit Glacier side trip: Free and just outside Seward; you can take a fairly moderate walk to get close to the glacier face, but they roped it off at least 300 meters since a tourist was crushed by a chunk of ice that fell off the glacier face. Takes 1.5 to 3 hours depending on how much and how fast you want to walk. Nice driving side trip in about 60 minutes.

Seward itself is a nice 3 hour walking visit, and see the Sea Life Center. The main street is really only about 4 blocks long, with angle parking just like the 50's in America. Great deep fried Halibut chunks in a downtown bar (pub) called the Showcase (decor like late 50's with an extensive Jim Beam bottle collection and deep pleated red naugahyde chairs). I think you can check your bags at the ship terminal, then walk or taxi to town. It's about a 30 minute walk along the shoreline, harbor and t-shirt shops. If you can spend and extra 2 nights in Seward, book a fishing charter for Halibut and Salmon.

You can book and see lots of 3rd party tour options or even rent a small motorhome by visiting the Anchorage newspaper website, www.adn.com This is also handy for links to make sure the Redoubt Volcano is not still screwing up the Anchorage airport flights, or you may also have to take the rail trip to Fairbanks to fly home!!

The non-stop drive from Seward to Anchorage (or vice versa) is about 2 1/2 hours. Hope you enjoy our beautiful state, and try to stay over a week or more; a good friend of mine from Scotland who just did his first Alaska cruise said they wished he would have planned more time in the state once the ship (or airline) got them there.

The Grandview train is very good if you want to keep it simple. The above options are for the more adventurous.

Waynegoat: Lovely of you to reply with all that information. Thank you! Can you tell me, please, if you think the train between Anchorage and Seward is significantly better than the bus. I'm trying to decide whether to book our cruise transfer by train or coach. (Won't have time to do side-trips, alas.)

http://www.alaskatransportation.net has shuttles on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday from the ship terminal to the Anchorage Airport. $65 pp with a tour, $55 pp straight to the airport. We are on the 8/26 Mariner cruise so we will give hem a try. Both options get you to the airport by !2:30PM.

It seems to be the least costly alternative

We too are on the 8/26 Mariner and have contacted this company because we want to leave early to get to the airport earlier than the 'scheduled' transfers. They seem very nice and helpful.

Can't wait to go and am glad we are not alone on this cruise.

Archived