Where to stay for Brooklyn departure

sempronialou

Is this store on Maiden Ln close to the Port in Brooklyn?

Do you mean Century 21? Maiden lane is in the Wall Street Area of Manhattan. As the crow flys its about 2 miles from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal. But since you aren't a crow you need to go either over the bridge and it will be about 5 miles or through the Brooklyn battery Tunnel for about 3 miles. In either case you'll need to take a cab or some other form of transportation. There is NO parking or even standing with a car in this area.....unless you want to pay a small fortune....

go to mapquest and they will draw both for you.....

We are just about to book the following hotel..

Sleep Inn Brooklyn, 247 49th Street Brooklyn, NY 11220

I have tried to follow the threads on this site but am confused about what areas are "considered" safe and what areas are not. So I am now concerned about the location of this hotel. All the ratings and reviews are fair to good so I thought it would be fine but now I am having second thoughts.

Cost is a concern for us but safety is higher on the priority list. ANY and ALL feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

How is the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge? What's around there that we can walk to. How does that location compare to where Club Quarters is in the financial district.

Its in Downtown Brooklyn in a safe area. Lots to walk to. Subway is right by the rear door and across the street from the front door. Its within easy walking distance of Brooklyn heights(the view you always see from Manhattan is from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade)- which has some shops and places to eat, Smith Street which is Brooklyn restaurant row(although some of my favorites have closed recently) and atlantic avenue which has good restaurants, good and interesting shopping including a trader Joe's etc- lots of diverse restaurants....

Fulton Street which is very close has a Macys and what can best be described as funky shopping..

Its in Downtown Brooklyn in a safe area. Lots to walk to. Subway is right by the rear door and across the street from the front door. Its within easy walking distance of Brooklyn heights(the view you always see from Manhattan is from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade)- which has some shops and places to eat, Smith Street which is Brooklyn restaurant row(although some of my favorites have closed recently) and atlantic avenue which has good restaurants, good and interesting shopping including a trader Joe's etc- lots of diverse restaurants....

Fulton Street which is very close has a Macys and what can best be described as funky shopping..

Thanks for the good info, can always count on you for that. Would you prefer the Marriott to the Club Quarters in the financial district?

Thanks for the good info, can always count on you for that. Would you prefer the Marriott to the Club Quarters in the financial district?

six of one half a dozen of the other. There is probably more places to eat by the Marriott...within ez walking distance. Brooklyn Heights is more lively at night but either are good for fast getting around in NY. Personally I find its more relaxed in Brooklyn but either are fine IMO.

six of one half a dozen of the other. There is probably more places to eat by the Marriott...within ez walking distance. Brooklyn Heights is more lively at night but either are good for fast getting around in NY. Personally I find its more relaxed in Brooklyn but either are fine IMO.
Thanks again!:) Made the reservation at the Marriott.

We have some thoughts about staying on the other side - NJ. Since we are driving there and don't want to use the car in the city until we drive to Red Hook, what do you think about staying at the Ramada Inn in Jersey City which is close to the train station going in the city. Use the train to get to a stop close to one of the Gray Line tour stops and then jump back on the train to return to the Ramada.

Any thoughts about this?

I stayed at the Ramada Ltd. in Jersey City a few years ago, I was by myself on business, which is typical of my travels to the NYC area over the past 12 years. Its an older hotel, rooms are very basic, within a short walk to the Journal Square PATH Station. The hotel is on the edge of a run down residential neighborhood of multi family dwellings and apartment buildings just off JFK Blvd, a commercial area with several low end retail stores. There are really no dining options in the area except for take out Chinese or Pizza. This would not be my first choice if you wanted to stay in NJ with quick access to Manhattan, I would stay at the Hyatt, Westin, Courtyard, or Doubletree....but what would I know, because I only spent about 8 hours here, so you would probably be better off taking the advice of a local.

I stayed at the Ramada Ltd. in Jersey City a few years ago, I was by myself on business, which is typical of my travels to the NYC area over the past 12 years. Its an older hotel, rooms are very basic, within a short walk to the Journal Square PATH Station. The hotel is on the edge of a run down residential neighborhood of multi family dwellings and apartment buildings just off JFK Blvd, a commercial area with several low end retail stores. There are really no dining options in the area except for take out Chinese or Pizza. This would not be my first choice if you wanted to stay in NJ with quick access to Manhattan, I would stay at the Hyatt, Westin, Courtyard, or Doubletree....but what would I know, because I only spent about 8 hours here, so you would probably be better off taking the advice of a local.

You kinda confirmed my suspicion that the low rates had to be the result of something - like location.

My guess is that we need to decide what we want to see in NY on the only day we have there and "bite the bullet" and pay more for something in the city and either either walk the sites or do a HO HO or see a play. or whatever, but stay in the city.

You kinda confirmed my suspicion that the low rates had to be the result of something - like location.

My guess is that we need to decide what we want to see in NY on the only day we have there and "bite the bullet" and pay more for something in the city and either either walk the sites or do a HO HO or see a play. or whatever, but stay in the city.

You may want to use Priceline for Jersey City. General price range is about $125 for Jersey City 4* (Westin and Hyatt Regency) and $100 for 3* (Doubletree and Courtyard). DO NOT bid below 3*. If it was my trip, I would just start at $100 for 4*. PATH train is very close to these hotels. Doubletree even has a shuttle to public transporation.

You could even park in public parking close to most of these hotels. Some of the Jersey City hotels charge a lot for parking. Parking at the PATH station (Journal Square) is $12.00 per 24 hr. day

Archived