Hotel in Tampa

jvparish

My DH and I have just booked our 25th anniversary cruise on the Legend for Nov 8th (2nd time). I cannot remember where all the ideas for hotels in tampa are on the CC. Can someone tell me where to find the reviews? Thanks.

Vickye

We just stayed at the Hampton Inn-Rocky Point in Tampa, used their park & cruise package. There is also a Holiday Inn Express right next to them, same owners I think, based on they shared a van for taking guests to & from the cruise terminal.

Did the Embassy Suites last August right in Tampa. It was great. The breakfast, cocktail reception, and clean room would have been enough, but also right outside the trolley to Ybor City for dinner and nightlife.

Is that the one that's considered downtown? How far is it from Channelside? We're seriously considering this one for January. Thanks!

Is that the one that's considered downtown? How far is it from Channelside? We're seriously considering this one for January. Thanks!

Yes, that's the one that is referred to as Downtown.

It is roughly 1/2 mile from the hotel to the Channelside entertainment complex. Very easy walk. Alternatively, you can hop on the trolley, which has a station right in front of the hotel, and ride it to Channelside. If you do that I'd sugget getting a day pass (cost is the same as 2 oneway trips), that way you can buzz over to Ybor City if you so choose.

Thanks so much for the fast reply! I just booked it! I guess technically it's considered Westshore, but I like the location and if the trolley is right there, all the better! Thanks!

Uggggggggh. The one on Westshore is not the one that is generally referred to as "Downtown" - everything I've seen on it refers to it as "Airport/Westshore."

The one downtown is on Florida, and is referred to as "Convention Center/Downtown."

I apologize for the confusion; I'm not sure at all why someone would have referenced the one on Westshore as being downtown - it's at least a couple of miles from what anyone would realistically say is downtown Tampa.

Who did you book through? Maybe you can switch? :o

Well darn! I know the Westshore area is close to the port, so I just assumed that was the one it would be. I booked directly through the Hilton Rewards website, but I'm sure the rate for the one downtown would be much higher. Guess I better go back and do a little research! Thanks again for your help.

Popcorngal

The Embassy in Westshore is a fine hotel. Its closer to the airport and just 15 minutes to the pier. For one night don't sweat it! Tampa's nicest malls, plenty of restaurants, and a movie theater close by. And I'm sure its less $$$ then the one near Channelside.

Vickye, I'll see you onboard!

Mark

Thanks tourlink..that does make me feel better! I checked the Embassy at the Convention Center and they want over $400 a night for our dates! I don't hardly think so! This will be our fourth time on the Legend, but only second time out of Tampa. Last time we stayed at the previous Wyndam Westshore and thought the area was just fine. Apparently they've changed hands and their prices skyrocketed too.

Thanks for all the info!

Thanks tourlink..that does make me feel better! I checked the Embassy at the Convention Center and they want over $400 a night for our dates! I don't hardly think so! This will be our fourth time on the Legend, but only second time out of Tampa. Last time we stayed at the previous Wyndam Westshore and thought the area was just fine. Apparently they've changed hands and their prices skyrocketed too.

Thanks for all the info!

Holy smokes. I definitely would not pay $400 for one night at the one downtown. As Mark said, the one on Westshore is nice & in a very good location. Very close to two of the city's best malls, lots of very good restuarant choices nearby, and probably a couple of days of cruiseline bar tabs cheaper.

We stayed at the Embassy Westshore in Dec. You won't be disappointed. A beautiful hotel, friendly staff and lots to do in the area.

We walked across the street to the mall and had a big lunch at Maggiano's so we were not hungry at dinner. It was a nice restaurant with really good food.

The managers reception was the perfect snack that night. We enjoyed drinks hor dourves on the patio. Breakfast the next morning was wonderful.

Enjoy the Legend! We've been on it twice and loved it both times.

Kelly

Thanks everyone for your insights. Hubby's never stayed at an Embassy Suites so I thought it would be a nice treat for him. It also sounds good that there are places nearby to shop and eat. We won't be renting a car, so things within close proximity are a plus. Thanks again!

Thanks for the info about the Embassy Suites, Westshore. We have a room booked there for our next cruise, because I had read some good things about it. Looks like lots of stuff nearby. And we got a great rate.

Hey Popcorn, I'm going in Nov. instead of January because of a lower rate and Jan is the start of my busy season, I would take you up on it. Went to Waffle House today, had I'm smothered, covered and diced!:D If you need any Tampa info let me know!

Klmorg, when are you going and what ship?

Mark

Hey Popcorn, I'm going in Nov. instead of January because of a lower rate and Jan is the start of my busy season, I would take you up on it. Went to Waffle House today, had I'm smothered, covered and diced!:D If you need any Tampa info let me know!

Klmorg, when are you going and what ship?

Mark

We are going a gazillion days from now, it seems. Heading out on the Legend on 1/3/2010.

Archived