Amsterdam tram questions

chepar

We will be arriving in Amsterdam on Sunday, July 26 at 8:30 a.m.

Since we have only a really short amount of time in Amsterdam (ship departs at 2:00 p.m.) I have purchased tickets for the first window available at the Anne Frank House (9:30 - 10:30).

If my mother does not feel up to the walk (she's had two knee replacements), we will be taking the tram. I noticed on the www.gvb.nl website that the ticket offices at the Central Station will not be open that early on that day (it being a Sunday). The website indicates that the tram drivers sell single ride tickets.

Do we need to have exact change to buy the tickets from the driver? There will be 4 of us, so the fare will be €1.60 each, correct?

Thanks for any help!

I think indeed the ticketwindow will not be open yet. But should you arrive in Amsterdam by train you might buy "a strippenkaart" at the window when you buy traintickets. Strippenkaart have 15 strips (or more) on it, per person per ride you will need 2 strips. the card can be used by more persons. Isnot for sale in the trams only at ticketcounters and supermarkets etc.

Otherwise indeed the driver (or the person selling tickets midway in the tram depending what line you travel) sells singleride tickets. 2 strips isthe minimum singelrride, so you have to buy new tickets on the way back.

They will have change but not from large bills.

Thanks for your help Ine!

We will be arriving via cruise ship, so we won't have an opportunity to buy a strippenkaart.

I understand there is a HOHO canal boat stop near the Anne Frank House; we were planning on getting on that and riding the entire circuit plus some to end up back at the Central Station before getting back on our ship.

You can find all information re the canalbus on this site:

http://www.canal.nl/en/theme.php?theme_id=3

If for any reason you need a strippenkaart it will be (almost for sure) sold in the cruise-terminal. The tourist office usually has a small office in there for arriving passengers.

• 2 weeks later...
Do I recall correctly that there is also a senior discount availabe for the Strippenkaart?

Yes, a red coloured strippenkaart (for 65 years and older) is cheaper than the blue, normal one. This is only if you purchase a strippenkaart in a shop or somewhere else at forehand. When you pay in the tram itself it's for everyone the same (more expensive) rate.

I believe the red strippenkaart is 4,80 euro and has 15 zones to travel, the blue one I believe 6,70 euro, also 15 zones to travel.

Most of attractions are within one zone (Amsterdam centre), but you always need to use the zone you are in + one extra (two strippen for one zone, three strippen for two zones, etc.). Two strippen are valid for one hour after.

Archived