Ensenada Calafia Valley Wine Tour

Sorry for posting on this board, there isn't a port board for Ensenada or Catalina.

If you've taken this excursion through Carnival, can you tell me how it was?

It seems like a really good deal at $35 pp with a free bottle of wine.

I've never booked a Carnival excursion, have always done things on our own, but I'm taking a first-timer who is nervous about the crime reports in Ensenada.

Good tour for the price. Wine is decent, not great, something you would pay $8-$15 at the store. I wouldn't do it on your own as the wineries are about 30 mins out of town. I have been to a few restaurants here in so cal that carry their wines.

I've done the Wine Country Tour several times. It goes to 2 winery's and you get the free bottle of wine. I love it, They pick up fresh baked breads, olive oil from the vineyards and olives to taste as well. It's a nice bus ride and the guides have been very informative. This is one of the fairly reasonably priced Carnival tours.

I would recommend.:p

I've done this several times and it is really fun. I don't go on the tours at the wineries any more, I just head to the tasting room because I've done it so often, but what's fun is that everyone starts the day so quiet and after the second winery, the bus get much louder coming back.

Plus, the wine they give you can be taken to the dining room and there will not be a corkage fee.

Very good value for the money. BTW if you book this on a Royal Caribbean ship, you don't get the bottle of wine because they do not allow you to bring any outside wine on the ships. Carnival loves us and wants us to be happy.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I think I am going to book it before we go so I don't have to deal with a line at the excursion desk, unless someone says that they were able to get a better price on the ship. Looks like there are 2 groups, I would choose the later as if I start tasting wine at 10 am on PST, someone would have to carry me back to the ship.

I found several posts at CarnivalConnections that said the wine was taken from them when re-boarding at Ensenada, which sounded strange to me. Some also said the bus ride was over 1 hour and very uncomfortable.

I am just looking for the safest thing to do in Ensenada to lessen the fear for my travel companion. The problems in Mexico sure seem to be affecting the upcoming Elation cruises, there are lots of cabins left on our ship, very sad.

Thanks again everyone for the advice. I think I am going to book it before we go so I don't have to deal with a line at the excursion desk, unless someone says that they were able to get a better price on the ship. Looks like there are 2 groups, I would choose the later as if I start tasting wine at 10 am on PST, someone would have to carry me back to the ship.

I found several posts at CarnivalConnections that said the wine was taken from them when re-boarding at Ensenada, which sounded strange to me. Some also said the bus ride was over 1 hour and very uncomfortable.

I am just looking for the safest thing to do in Ensenada to lessen the fear for my travel companion. The problems in Mexico sure seem to be affecting the upcoming Elation cruises, there are lots of cabins left on our ship, very sad.

I don't believe that the problems in Mexico are the reasons for the low sales on that ship. I believe because they have 2 ships with the same itinerary right now......

The 7 day mexican riviera cruises are selling fast.......

Just tell your travel companion not to wig out when the mexican army (dressed in full fatigues carrying M-16's) stops the tour bus about 30 minutes out......they will do a quick check of the bus and then you will be on your way........oh and this is not new due to the problems either......

I don't believe that the problems in Mexico are the reasons for the low sales on that ship. I believe because they have 2 ships with the same itinerary right now......

The 7 day mexican riviera cruises are selling fast.......

Just tell your travel companion not to wig out when the mexican army (dressed in full fatigues carrying M-16's) stops the tour bus about 30 minutes out......they will do a quick check of the bus and then you will be on your way........oh and this is not new due to the problems either......

Thanks, that makes sense and thanks for the warning about stopping the bus. I am used to the army at the airports in Mexico, not so much in port as I've only been to Cozumel recently on a ship.

I sure wish we were going on a Mexican Riviera cruise instead!

As stated I've done this one many times, the last one over New Years. These are nice buses, not school buses. Yes the roads can be bumpy, you are in Mexico. I think the ride was about 30-45 minutes for sure. The guide keeps you entertained along the way with Mexican history etc.

Hope that helps~

As stated I've done this one many times, the last one over New Years. These are nice buses, not school buses. Yes the roads can be bumpy, you are in Mexico. I think the ride was about 30-45 minutes for sure. The guide keeps you entertained along the way with Mexican history etc.

Hope that helps~

Helps a lot, thanks Donna!

Archived