Trip Insurance Months after Booking Cruise

Sapphire73

We missed the opportunity to buy this right after booking our cruise. (We were thinking we needed to have a pretty good idea of our total non-refundable expenses before getting it.) I just found the thread yesterday which links to a good article on trip insurance with links to a couple of websites.

Questions:

1.Do you know if my husband will be out of luck for getting trip insurance (or successfully getting reimbursed if he needs to cancel) because of going to Cote D'Ivoire, Ghana, and Togo a month before the cruise? In other words, do these policies typically exclude people who have traveled to places like West Africa? (His 3rd trip and no problems with malaria yet, but I won't be along this time to remind him to take the preventative medicine :)

2. Have you purchased trip insurance late in the game before? I see that a few policies cover pre-existing conditions as long as you purchase before making your final payment for the cruise, but haven't fully explored this yet. Any advice on this would be helpful.

After reading the thread on this yesterday, it sounds like the ideal would be to purchase something right away and then increase the coverage as needed when the other plans are made (such as how long we will spend touring on our own afterwards, the airfare, etc.) But I can't do it that way this time around since we first booked the July '09 cruise last November.

I may well be missing something here, so feel free to enlighten me....

BTW, I don't envision anything coming up when we are on the trip (no one ever does, I guess) but one of my sons (20 years old) is having a meniscal transplant in early May (rescheduled unfortunately from end of March), and if he developed a blood clot or something else unforeseen, I would want to be here with him.... (My ability to worry is well-developed having raised 4 sons and a daughter, I guess.)

Thanks.

I'm glad this has been posted... I too want to know about trip insurance. Alaska is a very expensive trip, you don't think anything will happened but you never know. We leave in July can we purchase insurance now? Is it better to go with an indendent insurance company or with the cruiseline?

Who has anyone used?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

We rarely take the cruiseline's insurance... it doesn't cover flights associated with travel and the coverage is lower than most policies.

I suggest you go to insuremytrip.com, where you can compare several travel insurance packages. Before purchasing you can read the full policy on-line and/or call the companies and ask questions without giving your name or personal info. A few policies will cover pre-existing conditions if purchased before final payment... they may cost more but the comfort of knowing your completely covered, usually outways the $$ spent.

Sandy

We rarely take the cruiseline's insurance... it doesn't cover flights associated with travel and the coverage is lower than most policies.

I suggest you go to insuremytrip.com, where you can compare several travel insurance packages. Before purchasing you can read the full policy on-line and/or call the companies and ask questions without giving your name or personal info. A few policies will cover pre-existing conditions if purchased before final payment... they may cost more but the comfort of knowing your completely covered, usually outways the $$ spent.

Sandy

Thanks for your helpful input!

Here is the link for another site which seems to let you compare travel plans, but perhaps it doesn't let you drill down to the details without giving personal information. I'll have to look again.

http://www.quotewright.com/compare_travel_plans.html?product=bundle

I'm glad this has been posted... I too want to know about trip insurance. Alaska is a very expensive trip, you don't think anything will happened but you never know. We leave in July can we purchase insurance now? Is it better to go with an indendent insurance company or with the cruiseline?

Who has anyone used?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Here is the link to the article which someone gave on the older thread.

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/how-to-avoid-travel-insurance-gotchas.html?id=2805699&source=dealalert&value=2009-01-15+00%3A00%3A00&u=371F2D8DD1

The article seems to say that if you underestimate the cost, the insurer can reject the entire claim. Also, that one can't get insurance for just the airfare and cruise, but must purchase it for all of the non-refundable charges. But I may have skimmed it too quickly and not have this right....

I just checked on insuremytrip.com... "CSA Travel Protection - Webdirect luxe" states... if insurance is purchased prior to or within 24 hours of FINAL payment, pre-existing condition waiver coverage will apply... if the insured is medically able to travel when payment is made for the insurance.

Last year, there were a few other companies that did this but I couldn't find any others today. I hope not, but maybe they're doing away with the "before final payment" option.

FYI... I had a knee replacement last Sept. '08 and requested my orthopedist to put a note in my records, once he considered me "free to travel". I'm not traveling until this coming April and I'm fine, but I wanted all the i's dotted and t's crossed.

Sandy

Not trying to sound stupid but I don't understand this whole insurance thing. My trip starts in 3 months and it is very costly. My final payment is due May 1. Do I still have time to get insurance? You never know if something will happened to someone in your family. There could be a death or anything...it would have to be someting very BAD for me not to go. But since our trip is so expensive I need a piece of mind that we will be covered if something bad does happened.

Any advice??:confused:

We always, always, always purchase insurance. I know it seems like a waste of money if nothing happens but when something DOES happen, you'll be so glad you did.

We just returned from Mexico a week ago where my husband ruptured his achilles tendon and required surgery. Cost was $11,000.00 USD which was totally covered.

You do need to ask a lot of questions. Some policies require you to purchase insurance immediately, others before final payment is due.

We usually purchase whatever amount is needed to cover our initial deposits (if they are not refundable) and then increase as we purchase anything non refundable.

Ask lots of questions regarding pre existing conditions. Most policies require that any pre existing condition not have had any changes within at least 90 days. That would include any tests, blood work, new prescriptions or changes to a prescription. There was a lady at the hospital we were at that had had an infection in her leg and she was in hospital before the trip. The doctor's told her she was totally OK and that because it is just a simple infection, her insurance would cover her no matter what. NOT TRUE. She had a repeat infection down there and the insurance company told her that because she had just had it, they wouldn't cover her. Her bill was over $4,000.00.

Also note that things do happen on the way to the airport even if you are booking last minute. I know of a guy that got in a car accident on the way to the airport and they had no insurance...he was alright thank goodness but they lost over $15,000 as they couldn't go on the trip.

It's up to each person to decide if they need it or not but we wouldn't go anywhere with out it anymore.

Happy Travels!

Larry... if you do a search on travel insurance, you'll find mega posts on the subject. If you haven't yet made final payment, and you're concerned about pre-existing medical conditions you might have, you can buy the insurance I mentioned in my post below. If you need to cancel because of a family member not traveling with you, most travel insurance policies will be fine.

On insuremytrip.com, you can check how far back the travel policies check re: medical, if you have to cancel due to a medical reason... policies are usually 60, 90, 120 or 180 days.

We started buying travel insurance for ourselves when our parents got older and having problems. Now we buy travel insurance because we're aging. As you said, travel is expensive and you never know when you might have to cancel. Peace of mind is worth a lot!

Sandy

I just checked on insuremytrip.com... "CSA Travel Protection - Webdirect luxe" states... if insurance is purchased prior to or within 24 hours of FINAL payment, pre-existing condition waiver coverage will apply... if the insured is medically able to travel when payment is made for the insurance.

Last year, there were a few other companies that did this but I couldn't find any others today. I hope not, but maybe they're doing away with the "before final payment" option.

FYI... I had a knee replacement last Sept. '08 and requested my orthopedist to put a note in my records, once he considered me "free to travel". I'm not traveling until this coming April and I'm fine, but I wanted all the i's dotted and t's crossed.

Sandy

You're right Sandy, CSA does have a policy that covers pre-existing up to just before final payment. Just make sure you make sure you are purchasing the product that covers this when you do purchase. By the way, I do have experience with CSA and have had good experience with them.

Have a great trip!

Sandy

Not sure what happened to the rest of my post, so I'll cut and paste it since I wasn't able to edit it:

You're right Sandy, CSA does have a policy that covers pre-existing up to just before final payment. Just make sure you make sure you are purchasing the product that covers this when you do purchase. By the way, I do have experience with CSA and have had good experience with them.

By the way, having the Ortho write that in your records really doesn't make a difference with insurance coverage. If a policy covers pre-existing; then it does. Each company states how far back a condition is considered as pre-existing. A normal length of time is going back 6 months. I too have had a knee replacement. On one trip I didn't purchase a policy within the time frame to cover pre-existing. In my case the policy had to be purchased within 2 weeks of initial payment. My 'good' knee ended up getting really bad and I was quite worried because if it did that just before my cruise I really wouldn't be able to go. In my case, I booked the cruise pretty far out; like 9 to 12 months before leaving on the cruise. Here's what I did: I went to the Dr for the bad knee; it settled down and waited the 6 months; and right after that date I purchased the policy. That way I was covered for that condition and any others that would manifest from then till our cruise. Does that make sense?

I'm a big believer in travel insurance. Everyone has their own take on it; but we just don't know what can happen in the future. A lot of people think insurance is just for trip cancellation; which just isn't so. Policies do differ, so knowing what is covered is very important.

Last August before our cruise we flew to Juneau; then took a short flight to Hoonah, (Icy Strait Point). We stayed for 3 nights then were set to fly back to Juneau then a flight to Anchorage before beginning 7 more nights on land before our cruise. Juneau was socked in with bad weather and it didn't look like we were going to make it to Juneau to connect with our flight to Anchorage. Our coverage included weather related flight delays (independent/not thru the cruise line). I just cannot tell you the feeling I had while we were wondering if we would make it or not. The owners of the place we stayed told us to not worry there was not a problem with staying an extra night and a great friend let me know that no problem; we would have a great time at the Office Bar that night. Knowing we were also covered for a trip delay; I knew the cost of our lodging in Girdwood would also be covered, so I sat there without a worry in the world. I knew we wouldn't lose a penny...and to be honest, almost wished the flight would be cancelled! It really looked as though we would not be flying out and all of a sudden they announced the weather cleared and the plane would be landing (to take us to Juneau) in just a couple minutes! We made our connecting flight right on schedule and the rest of the trip went off w/o a wrinkle. Oh by the way, the volcano in the Aluetians had just erupted when we made it to Anchorage and we found out flights out of Juneau were grounded the next day. Looking back I'm so glad we made it because we had an incredible 7 nights on the Kenai Peninsula! To me the cost of the insurance was worth every cent, not having the stress of worrying about the weather that day!

Have a great trip!

• Administrators

Try http://www.tripinsurancestore.com as well as insuremytrip.com. I've used both, and both have a lot of good advice. CSA and HTH both offer pre-existing condition coverage if purchased within 24 hours of final payment. Cancel for "any reason" insurance generally must be purchased shortly after the initial trip payment.

Not sure what happened to the rest of my post, so I'll cut and paste it since I wasn't able to edit it:

You're right Sandy, CSA does have a policy that covers pre-existing up to just before final payment. Just make sure you make sure you are purchasing the product that covers this when you do purchase. By the way, I do have experience with CSA and have had good experience with them ...

Have a great trip!

Hi SEPyle & Sandy,

You may not know that CSA also has another line of plans called "CSA Freestyle" & "CSA Freestyle Luxe" that cover pre-existing conditions until 24 hours after you pay your scheduled payment.

The website you mentioned & some others only offer the "CSA Luxe" series which is more expensive to insure pre-existing conditions.

CSA doesn't let the seller sell both series of plans, so that's why some have just the "CSA Luxe" and others have just the "CSA Freestyle" & "CSA Freestyle Luxe".

I hope this makes sense & helps you.

I'm using "Tripinsurancestoredotcom" and recommend it.

Before you buy make sure you are not under insured, cost of the trip should be for each person normally not the whole trip cost and divided by person in your family..and try to add it up to the 500, 1000 etc..

exsample: in stead of insured for $2100 but increase to $2500 which you might get the same premium..

Hi SEPyle & Sandy,

You may not know that CSA also has another line of plans called "CSA Freestyle" & "CSA Freestyle Luxe" that cover pre-existing conditions until 24 hours after you pay your scheduled payment.

The website you mentioned & some others only offer the "CSA Luxe" series which is more expensive to insure pre-existing conditions.

CSA doesn't let the seller sell both series of plans, so that's why some have just the "CSA Luxe" and others have just the "CSA Freestyle" & "CSA Freestyle Luxe".

I hope this makes sense & helps you.

Hi,

Do you get the "Freestyle" directly through CSA, or can you get it through an online seller?

Thanks.

Bruce

Hi,

Do you get the "Freestyle" directly through CSA, or can you get it through an online seller?

Thanks.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

The CSA Freestyle plans are only available through licensed travel insurance agents that chose the CSA Freestyle series. Some are online.

You can google "csa freestyle plans" or "csa freestyle" to find ithe online sellers.

Not trying to sound stupid but I don't understand this whole insurance thing. My trip starts in 3 months and it is very costly. My final payment is due May 1. Do I still have time to get insurance? You never know if something will happened to someone in your family. There could be a death or anything...it would have to be someting very BAD for me not to go. But since our trip is so expensive I need a piece of mind that we will be covered if something bad does happened.

Any advice??:confused:

It's not too late. Just go to one or more of the following websites to find an insurance company.

1. http://www.quotewright.com
  2. http://www.insuremytrip.com
  3. http://www.tripinsurancestore.com
  4. http://www.squaremouth.com

Keep in mind that every insurance company offers a variety of plans, ranging from cheap to very expensive. The ones that are very basic and cheap do not cover pre-existing conditions or the bankruptcy of your airline or cruise line. However, other policies, by the same insurance companies, cover everything under the sun, including cancelling your trip because you just changed your mind. These policies are very expensive.

We purchased trip insurance through the trip insurance store and chose the CSA freestyle luxe. I appreciated being able to get quotes for several plans with ease. And I was able to round up without raising the premium. I was glad I had, because the last place we are staying had a two week in advance cancellation policy when we booked but changed it to 30 days in advance when they sent the confirmation notice - minutes after I purchased the insurance. (I'm sure we could have emailed the place we are staying about it, but there was no need since I had rounded up.)

Many thanks to everyone for the great help on this!

Archived