Sitka Salmon Fishing

suezb

Hello! I have tried searching the forum for information about salmon fishing in Sitka, but I haven't had much luck.

I am leaving on Holland America May 9th to Alaska, and will be in Sitka one of those days. I have been looking at the Half Day Salmon Fishing that they offer through the cruise ship, and was wondering if anyone has done this.

I've never been on a boat in the ocean before, but I do get motion sickness, so there is a concern about getting sick. I also don't eat seafood, but I figured it would make awesome gifts for people. And for some reason, I have this burning desire to catch salmon in Alaska!

So my questions is...can anyone give a review on it? The half day is only 4 hours...what are the chances of catching a fish? And how hard is salmon fishing? If I do this, I really really really want to get a king salmon. I live in Washington State and could easily go salmon fishing here, but it seems like it would be more fun in Alaska. OO and are people think I'm weird if I go by myself? I don't think anyone else on the cruise wants to go out with me.

This is a pretty expensive excursion so any and all information will be much appreciated. Thank you!

I can't answer for Sitka specifically, since I haven't been. But I can give yuo some generic fishing answers...

I've never been on a boat in the ocean before, but I do get motion sickness, so there is a concern about getting sick. I also don't eat seafood, but I figured it would make awesome gifts for people. And for some reason, I have this burning desire to catch salmon in Alaska!

Again, don't know about Sitka, but at least in Ketchikan, they fish in protected, calmer waters. Not out in the ocean with rollers. As for gifts, plan on paying arounf $5-9/pound when all is said and done for processing and shipping.

So my questions is...can anyone give a review on it? The half day is only 4 hours...what are the chances of catching a fish? And how hard is salmon fishing? If I do this, I really really really want to get a king salmon.

There is a reason they call it "fishing" not "catching." You are before prime fishing season, which is late May/early June. From the Sitka fishing guide, that season averages 0.2 fish per hour (i.e. 5 hours of fishing per fish). Check out this chart, too. I think May 9th is going to be too early, and I can't find confirmation, but I don't think the king salmon season starts until May 15th. i could be wrong on this one though.

This next bit isn't based on salmon fishing in Alaska, but based on taking many charters elsewhere and doing some of our own trolling on the Bay:

That said, the fishing itself should be relitively easy. On a charter boat, the captain or mate is going to cut your bait and put it on the line. Chances are you will be trolling, which means there will be several lines (2-4) in the water at a time and the boat will drive around waiting for the sound you want to hear "FISH ON!!" Then someone will get the rod and you will get to reel in the fish. If its a big one, you might get a fighting belt. You will want to lean back slowly, then reel as quickly as you can as you lean forward. Rinse, repeat until the fish is near the boat. A big fish will wear you out. We brought in a 28 pound rockfish in the bay, and that was enough my husband needed a nap to recover. Generally on a mixed party boat, they will be some sort of determination for the order of who gets what strike. If you get #6, you may not get a fish.

I live in Washington State and could easily go salmon fishing here, but it seems like it would be more fun in Alaska. OO and are people think I'm weird if I go by myself? I don't think anyone else on the cruise wants to go out with me.

This is a pretty expensive excursion so any and all information will be much appreciated. Thank you!

My biggest concern is your timing, I don't even think the salmon season is open yet.

I can't answer for Sitka specifically, since I haven't been. But I can give yuo some generic fishing answers...

Again, don't know about Sitka, but at least in Ketchikan, they fish in protected, calmer waters. Not out in the ocean with rollers. As for gifts, plan on paying arounf $5-9/pound when all is said and done for processing and shipping.

There is a reason they call it "fishing" not "catching." You are before prime fishing season, which is late May/early June. From the Sitka fishing guide, that season averages 0.2 fish per hour (i.e. 5 hours of fishing per fish). Check out this chart, too. I think May 9th is going to be too early, and I can't find confirmation, but I don't think the king salmon season starts until May 15th. i could be wrong on this one though.

This next bit isn't based on salmon fishing in Alaska, but based on taking many charters elsewhere and doing some of our own trolling on the Bay:

That said, the fishing itself should be relitively easy. On a charter boat, the captain or mate is going to cut your bait and put it on the line. Chances are you will be trolling, which means there will be several lines (2-4) in the water at a time and the boat will drive around waiting for the sound you want to hear "FISH ON!!" Then someone will get the rod and you will get to reel in the fish. If its a big one, you might get a fighting belt. You will want to lean back slowly, then reel as quickly as you can as you lean forward. Rinse, repeat until the fish is near the boat. A big fish will wear you out. We brought in a 28 pound rockfish in the bay, and that was enough my husband needed a nap to recover. Generally on a mixed party boat, they will be some sort of determination for the order of who gets what strike. If you get #6, you may not get a fish.

My biggest concern is your timing, I don't even think the salmon season is open yet.

If you want to fish I would not do it in Sitka, if you get see sick!! I did fish a half a day halibut trip on Holland, six people no one caught any fish! there were three guys that were so sick they just laid in the corner of the boat and the waves would come over on top of them, I felt bad for them! The water was so rough that my ribs hurt for two days afterwards from the boat pounding the waves. I would do an inside port not the open seas!

Thank you guys for the honest answers!! It seems like I might be better off just sticking to fishing in Washington State. That's open waters too, but it's about half the price, I wouldn't have to pay for shipping and I could do it when it's more in season. .2 fish an hour is NOT good odds when I'd only be out fishing 3 hours!!!

I don't know if I get sea sick, I've never been in the ocean. I get motion sickness driving though, so I don't have much faith in myself.

This is a huge letdown, I was really hoping to hear people say I'd be catching fish left and right lol

Archived