Mediterranean Doable with Children?

Epixx, I am interested why your kids liked Venice so much. I am taking my 16 and 11 yr old this July to Venice and looking for things for them to do... Anyone else pitch in... Several of you said Venice is the place you loved the best... I need to hear why from some of you... What are you recommending? - Thanks all of you.. Dave in Houston

SuperDave:

TerpNut (above) is absolutely right. In addition, the kids were mesermized by the fanciful, party atmosphere of the entire city. For example, you'll find people dressed in "Carnival" clothing with Venetian masks while you're wandering around.

For activities, one afternoon we took a tourist boat tour around the city. Another time we took the vaporetto to Murano and Burano. I have girls, so they were fascinated with the glass blowing demonstration in Murano and the lace making demonstrations in Burano. As girls, they also found Venice to be a shopper's paradise, with lots of unique souvenirs for themselves and for friends (mostly glass items which actually survived the trip home and lace or hand-embroidered items). Plus, there's the ubiquitous gelato. What's not to like?

Have a great trip.

SuperDave:

TerpNut (above) is absolutely right. In addition, the kids were mesermized by the fanciful, party atmosphere of the entire city. For example, you'll find people dressed in "Carnival" clothing with Venetian masks while you're wandering around.

For activities, one afternoon we took a tourist boat tour around the city. Another time we took the vaporetto to Murano and Burano. I have girls, so they were fascinated with the glass blowing demonstration in Murano and the lace making demonstrations in Burano. As girls, they also found Venice to be a shopper's paradise, with lots of unique souvenirs for themselves and for friends (mostly glass items which actually survived the trip home and lace or hand-embroidered items). Plus, there's the ubiquitous gelato. What's not to like?

Have a great trip.

Everything you mentioned sounds wonderful. I'm sure that my girls will love it!

Everything you mentioned sounds wonderful. I'm sure that my girls will love it!
thanks everyone, so it definately sounds like you need to spend at least 2 extra days here. Mousemom11, you let us know how it turned out... cheers from Dave in Houston
The irony of all this for me is that with our upcoming 20-day B2B Mediterranean Noordam cruise, including 5 days pre and post cruise in Rome, my kids will NOT get to visit Venice this time around! :(

Will you be calling at Mykonos? If so, this is an excellent port for some children-centred time. Mykonos has a number of very good beaches, several of which are accessible by bus. I would suggest Platy Yialos (or Yalos or Gialos - latin-alphabet spellings vary), which is a family beach a couple of miles or so away from Mykonos town.

The town itself might also interest the kids. It's small, built around a small harbour (not where the liners dock), with harbour-side cafes/bars/restaurants, with a warren of narrow streets behind the waterfront, and many many shops, ranging from seriously expensive designer boutiques, to 'pocket money' tourist shops. And there's also Petros the Pelican to find.

They'll love it, and so to will you.

I leave in a month, and this thread has been so helpful.. and I have been posting for over a year... so thanks everyone.

Mousemom- great thread.

Will let everyone know how it goes. Esp since we are one of the crazy families bringing a 2 YO. (And a 12 YO).

Also bringing our in laws.. as it is their 50th anniversary, and we have all always wanted to go.

We are not museum/church people, and have booked all private tours.. So I am overwhelmingly excited for a great trip.

I leave in a month, and this thread has been so helpful.. and I have been posting for over a year... so thanks everyone.

Mousemom- great thread.

Will let everyone know how it goes. Esp since we are one of the crazy families bringing a 2 YO. (And a 12 YO).

Also bringing our in laws.. as it is their 50th anniversary, and we have all always wanted to go.

We are not museum/church people, and have booked all private tours.. So I am overwhelmingly excited for a great trip.

I'm so jealous! It sounds like you will be making some great memories with your family. And in the end, isn't that what it's all about? Have a wonderful trip. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Hi

I would just like to add to the comments on Venice with children. We spent 3 days there last year with our 8 year old twins (boy and girl). We had a wonderful time and can't wait to return this year at the start of our Med cruise. We feel there is still so much to enjoy. As well as already mentioned, the twins absolutely loved the Doge's Palace - particularly exploring the dungeons which the prisoners accessed from the Bridge of Sighs!!! We went there late in the afternoon and almost had the place to ourselves (in July). They also enjoyed the maritime museum, watching glass horses being made on Murano and loved a gondola ride at sunset.

I am sure you will have a great time - enjoy!!

I'm so jealous! It sounds like you will be making some great memories with your family. And in the end, isn't that what it's all about? Have a wonderful trip. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Thanks so much!

My mom died when I was little at the ripe old age of 40.. So i am all about creating family memories while we still can. .because you just never know.

I know he wont "remember" the trip.. but their minds arer like sponges at this age.. forming synapses for use later in life.. so who knows how this may influence him subliminally? I dont remember much about my mom.. but my uncle heard me call my baby "angel Baby" one day.. and he told me that is what my mom used to call me.. I didnt remember that.. but clearly, it was in there somewhere...

The reason I say all this is becuase there are so many who will tell families not to take small children.. and I just want to encourage those who have realistic expectations.. never underestimate the potential impact this type of experience could have on a child of any age....or the family members who WILL remember it for the rest of their lives.

Thanks so much!

My mom died when I was little at the ripe old age of 40.. So i am all about creating family memories while we still can. .because you just never know.

I know he wont "remember" the trip.. but their minds arer like sponges at this age.. forming synapses for use later in life.. so who knows how this may influence him subliminally? I dont remember much about my mom.. but my uncle heard me call my baby "angel Baby" one day.. and he told me that is what my mom used to call me.. I didnt remember that.. but clearly, it was in there somewhere...

The reason I say all this is becuase there are so many who will tell families not to take small children.. and I just want to encourage those who have realistic expectations.. never underestimate the potential impact this type of experience could have on a child of any age....or the family members who WILL remember it for the rest of their lives.

Well said. My Mom died when I was 11, so I completely understand where you're coming from. Also, my DH has a genetic kidney disease and he had a kidney transplant last May. He was very ill for the 2 years leading up to the transplant, so our DD's, especially the youngest one, have lived most of their lives with a chronically ill parent. Now that DH can live his life again, thanks to God's provision of a living donor, we are all about making positive family memories. We're taking a month-long trip this November involving Disneyworld, Disney Cruise, and visiting family at Thanksgiving. It's our family celebration of renewed health and togetherness.

Winedown is absolutely right, you just never know.

I also wanted to thank everyone for their posts about traveling with kids!

My sister is taking her son (who will be 8 yrs old a few wks after the cruise) on our Mediterranean cruise this summer and she has had some people get down on her for taking him along.

Our family went on a lot of road trips when I was a very young child (I was the youngest in my family) and I do have some great memories from them. Some were even pre-kindergarten (my long term memory is better than my short term:)).

Well said. My Mom died when I was 11, so I completely understand where you're coming from. Also, my DH has a genetic kidney disease and he had a kidney transplant last May. He was very ill for the 2 years leading up to the transplant, so our DD's, especially the youngest one, have lived most of their lives with a chronically ill parent. Now that DH can live his life again, thanks to God's provision of a living donor, we are all about making positive family memories. We're taking a month-long trip this November involving Disneyworld, Disney Cruise, and visiting family at Thanksgiving. It's our family celebration of renewed health and togetherness.

Winedown is absolutely right, you just never know.

Wow. What a wonderful new beginning for you all. Brought tears to my eyes.. we are all blessed to have this opportuity, your family even moreso. So happy you all have this second chance. I hope many parents who have been flamed on other boards find this post, as it is much more meaningful and true than the hurtful words so many seem to enjoy sharing with many of us.

PS: I was 11 too!! Definitely a life shaping experience.

Archived