Easter in Amsterdam???

deniuh

Hi Diniuh,

Interesting finding you here. DW and I are on the 10/13 cruise with you. I don't know anything about Easter in Amsterdam, but I was looking for some information on Amsterdam as well. DW and I have a long layover there on the way to Rome in October and I was thinking that we might have enough time to do a tour of some type. If you know of some interesting stuff to see there, please let me know. WE will have about 5 - 6 hours or so to do something.

Thanks,

Bubba

All museums and restaurants are open on Easter.

But remember in NL as many other countries in Europe we have 2 easterdays.

On Eastersunday major shops will be closed (apart from shops with souvenirs and maybe some shops in city-center etc.) but shops will be open in Easter Monday.

Hi Diniuh,

Interesting finding you here. DW and I are on the 10/13 cruise with you. I don't know anything about Easter in Amsterdam, but I was looking for some information on Amsterdam as well. DW and I have a long layover there on the way to Rome in October and I was thinking that we might have enough time to do a tour of some type. If you know of some interesting stuff to see there, please let me know. WE will have about 5 - 6 hours or so to do something.

Thanks,

Bubba

Hey there!! Imagine we just came across a good fare to Amsterdam so we've decided to go for a couple of days. Always wanted to go so why not. We are doing Venice prior to our Rome cruise. Trying to hit all the major European cities. lol. I will let you know what I find out.

All museums and restaurants are open on Easter.

But remember in NL as many other countries in Europe we have 2 easterdays.

On Eastersunday major shops will be closed (apart from shops with souvenirs and maybe some shops in city-center etc.) but shops will be open in Easter Monday.

Thank you so much. We'll be flying back to the states Easter Sunday. Quick trip, I am sure it will be worth it. Thanks!

Hi!

Amsterdam is a perfect city to stretch your legs between flights. From the airport you can take the train to Central Station Amsterdam. It is a quick trip--maybe 15 minutes. As you exit the station and cross the first canal, you'll find tourist information where you can pick up a city map.

The Red Light district is diagonally to your left. It is...um... unique and therefore visited as an oddity. I personally find it depressing.

Depending on the weather, you can simply walk straight to the museum quarter. Yes - this is a distance, but I have found it feels good after cramped airline seats. This allows you to cross bridges, look down canals, see the infamous "coffeeshops" and get a sense of the city. It is probably a 30 minute walk there.

The Van Gogh Museum is incredible, if you enjoy his style. The Rijksmuseum is world famous for its Rembrandts. If you enjoy simply meandering through, stopping occassionally to read, you could see both. The other attraction in the vicinity is the Heineken "experience". I don't think they actually brew beer on any scale here anymore and there is an admission price.

If you're here longer, there is a "tips only" tour that leaves from the front of Central Station daily at 11:00 and 1:00. They last about 3.5 hours. www.newamsterdamtours.com I haven't been on this one because it isn't fit for children. However, their tour in Berlin was excellent.

I apologize for some of the vagueness of my answers. When you live in an area (we're non-Dutch living in the Netherlands), sometimes you don't pay attention to details!

Cheryl

Hey there!! Imagine we just came across a good fare to Amsterdam so we've decided to go for a couple of days. Always wanted to go so why not. We are doing Venice prior to our Rome cruise. Trying to hit all the major European cities. lol. I will let you know what I find out.

Great...Let us know what you find in Amsterdam...

Thanks.....

Hi!

Amsterdam is a perfect city to stretch your legs between flights. From the airport you can take the train to Central Station Amsterdam. It is a quick trip--maybe 15 minutes. As you exit the station and cross the first canal' date=' you'll find tourist information where you can pick up a city map.

The Red Light district is diagonally to your left. It is...um... unique and therefore visited as an oddity. I personally find it depressing.

Depending on the weather, you can simply walk straight to the museum quarter. Yes - this is a distance, but I have found it feels good after cramped airline seats. This allows you to cross bridges, look down canals, see the infamous "coffeeshops" and get a sense of the city. It is probably a 30 minute walk there.

The Van Gogh Museum is incredible, if you enjoy his style. The Rijksmuseum is world famous for its Rembrandts. If you enjoy simply meandering through, stopping occassionally to read, you could see both. The other attraction in the vicinity is the Heineken "experience". I don't think they actually brew beer on any scale here anymore and there is an admission price.

If you're here longer, there is a "tips only" tour that leaves from the front of Central Station daily at 11:00 and 1:00. They last about 3.5 hours. www.newamsterdamtours.com I haven't been on this one because it isn't fit for children. However, their tour in Berlin was excellent.

I apologize for some of the vagueness of my answers. When you live in an area (we're non-Dutch living in the Netherlands), sometimes you don't pay attention to details!

Cheryl (Quote)

Cheryl, thanks for all the great information. Can we do a day trip or quick overnight trip to Germany or Switzerland from Amsterdam? We have decided to extend our trip two more days. We've already done Paris and Belgium. Thanks in advance for the information!

A trip to Germany is easy to do. There are excellent trainconnections to e.g. Cologne, Frankfurt, Munich (between 3-6 hours) etc. and also to Basel and Zuerich.(both around 8-10 hours).

If you are looking for a daytrip Switzerland is too far.

Have a look at:

http://www.nshispeed.nl/en

Except for Cologne those cities also have airports, KLM, Lufthansa etc. are flying there.

A trip to Germany is easy to do. There are excellent trainconnections to e.g. Cologne, Frankfurt, Munich (between 3-6 hours) etc. and also to Basel and Zuerich.(both around 8-10 hours).

If you are looking for a daytrip Switzerland is too far.

Have a look at:

http://www.nshispeed.nl/en

Except for Cologne those cities also have airports, KLM, Lufthansa etc. are flying there.

Thank you. I will certainly check that link out. You are correct, Switzerland is definitely too far. Would I need a Visa for Germany? If I take Amsterdam Central, which German station would you recommend we get off at? We would like to do Frankfurt or Munich - whichever is easier. We are travelling with our 16 month old daughter. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. You can email me at deniuhathotmaildotcom as well. Thanks!!

Thank you. I will certainly check that link out. You are correct, Switzerland is definitely too far. Would I need a Visa for Germany? If I take Amsterdam Central, which German station would you recommend we get off at? We would like to do Frankfurt or Munich - whichever is easier. We are travelling with our 16 month old daughter. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. You can email me at deniuhathotmaildotcom as well. Thanks!!

Frankfurt is closer to NL then Munich, but personaly I would prefer Cologne. Just about 4 hours from Amsterdam .It is a nice city along river rhine. You can make a boattrip on the river, check the old center , see where"eau de cologne" was made, the big church etc.

http://www.archaeolink.com/cologne_travel_tourism.htm

The trainride itself is nice, you will see much of the countryside. You daughter (under 4 years) will travel free as far as I know.

Frankfurt is larger and more "Business". I think.

Munich is also too far for a daytrip, you need at least 1 overnight there.

If you have a valid pasport (USA?) you will no need no visum. Germany is like The netherlands a "schengen"country, so you are free to travel within those countries.

Frankfurt is closer to NL then Munich, but personaly I would prefer Cologne. Just about 4 hours from Amsterdam .It is a nice city along river rhine. You can make a boattrip on the river, check the old center , see where"eau de cologne" was made, the big church etc.

http://www.archaeolink.com/cologne_travel_tourism.htm

The trainride itself is nice, you will see much of the countryside. You daughter (under 4 years) will travel free as far as I know.

Frankfurt is larger and more "Business". I think.

Munich is also too far for a daytrip, you need at least 1 overnight there.

If you have a valid pasport (USA?) you will no need no visum. Germany is like The netherlands a "schengen"country, so you are free to travel within those countries.

Thank you so much for your help in planning our trip. I believe Cologne will be the best best. It sounds very relaxing. Thank goodness we don't need a Visa - yes we are travelling from the US. Again, I truly appreciate your help.

Thank you so much for your help in planning our trip. I believe Cologne will be the best best. It sounds very relaxing. Thank goodness we don't need a Visa - yes we are travelling from the US. Again, I truly appreciate your help.

Glat to help you.

One more advise, it is best to make advanced reservations for the train.

You can do that on-line and see what fares for what trains are available.

Glat to help you.

One more advise, it is best to make advanced reservations for the train.

You can do that on-line and see what fares for what trains are available.

Thanks Ine. We've been looking at the bahn website. We are trying to decide which day to go to Cologne. Do you think it will be totally closed down for Good Friday? We will be in Amsterdam from 4/9 - 4/14. We want to go to Kerkenkof (spelling??) to witness the flower parade and easter activities so it seems like Good Friday might be the best time. We just don't want to go to Cologne and be disappointed because everything is closed. I've been researching online as well as reading the Trip Advisor Forums but can't seem to get clear answers. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

Thanks Ine. We've been looking at the bahn website. We are trying to decide which day to go to Cologne. Do you think it will be totally closed down for Good Friday? We will be in Amsterdam from 4/9 - 4/14. We want to go to Kerkenkof (spelling??) to witness the flower parade and easter activities so it seems like Good Friday might be the best time. We just don't want to go to Cologne and be disappointed because everything is closed. I've been researching online as well as reading the Trip Advisor Forums but can't seem to get clear answers. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

Keukenhof isnot a flowerparade but a big garden with thousands of tulips, daffodils etc. It is amazing.

The yearly flowerparade takes places at the end of April.

Yes there is the chance that shops close early in Good Friday in Cologne, it is not an official holiday but celberated in Germany more then in NL. In NL shops will be open, sometimes banks are closed in the afternoon. So better make that trip in another day.

Keukenhof isnot a flowerparade but a big garden with thousands of tulips, daffodils etc. It is amazing.

The yearly flowerparade takes places at the end of April.

Yes there is the chance that shops close early in Good Friday in Cologne, it is not an official holiday but celberated in Germany more then in NL. In NL shops will be open, sometimes banks are closed in the afternoon. So better make that trip in another day.

Thanks Ine. I mispoke - I was referring to the spectacular of hats parade to be held at the gardens on April 13th. We might have to go to Cologne that Saturday. Thanks for u're input as always1

Thanks for this useful information everyone. We are leaving for Amsterdam on Good Friday for a one night pre-stay before our river boat cruise which begins on Easter Sunday.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the wonderful advice regarding Amsterdam. We had a great time. It is indeed a beautiful city, so much so that we didn't go to Germany. Instead we took day trips to the Keukenkof gardens and the beautiful town of Zaan Schaans...spelling??? The weather was great, the tulips were in bloom and we just soaked it up. Did the museum district, explored the parks etc. Please email me if you have questions...deniuhathotmail.com.

Thanks again!!

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the wonderful advice regarding Amsterdam. We had a great time. It is indeed a beautiful city, so much so that we didn't go to Germany. Instead we took day trips to the Keukenkof gardens and the beautiful town of Zaan Schaans...spelling??? The weather was great, the tulips were in bloom and we just soaked it up. Did the museum district, explored the parks etc. Please email me if you have questions...deniuhathotmail.com.

Thanks again!!

Great to hear you liked your stay. I was told the weather was rather nice during Easter. Isnot Keukenhof special?

I always like zaanse Schans, go there foten since I live not too far away from that.

Just about 1 more week in Mexico and then back home to check the tulips myself.

Ine - We have one day left to plan during our pre-cruise stay in Amsterdam and I am wondering if you recommend Zaanse Schans Museum or Zuiderzee Museum. Both sound good and similar and it is hard for me to tell how they are different. Thanks so much for all your help. We arrive April 28.

Ine - We have one day left to plan during our pre-cruise stay in Amsterdam and I am wondering if you recommend Zaanse Schans Museum or Zuiderzee Museum. Both sound good and similar and it is hard for me to tell how they are different. Thanks so much for all your help. We arrive April 28.

Both indeed are very nice.

Zaanse Schans is much closer to Amsterdam, but smaller. It is situated along river Zaan. Also in zaanse Schans you can see how clogs (klompen) are made and the place is a little more commercial. Entrance however is free, paid parking.

it can be reached by bus (92??) from Amsterdam centraal Station or by train to Koog-Zaandijk and walk for about 10 minutes.

Zuiderzeemuseum is much larger and is situated along IJsselmeer. Can only be reached by special ferry from Enkhuizen station or by car at a special parking. It is more authentic and covers various former fishingvillages around the former Zuiderzee - now IJsselmeer. Old housese and even a church are rebuild here. It is farther away from Amsterdam and there is an entrance fee.

Also the small town of Enkhuizen is worth a walk.

It depends how much time you want to spend there and also on the weather. Both are outdoors.

Thanks so much Ine. That is a good point about the weather. I think that will play a big part in our decision. The more authenic one sounds good now but the good thing is that we do not have to decide til we get to Amsterdam. You have been so helpful to me and to many others. Thanks again.

Archived