climate in med

Hello, just wondering how the ports in Italy, France, and Spain compare weather wise with the US. We are probably going in June 2010 and I have read many posts that say it gets quite hot in July and August. Does the weather compare to Florida and Southern US (hot/humid) or is it worse? We have been to Vegas many times in July/Aug when weather was 115+, but of course that is a "dry heat". It is pretty humid where we live and are used to hot and sticky summers!

Point #1: Southern Illinois summers are about as nasty as possible. It is not the heat; it is not the humidity. It is the heat AND the humidity. :)

Point #1: google is your friend.

Enter monthly weather or monthly temperatures or some such and many sites will pop up. The bottom line: it will hot, but not as humid as S. IL summers.

I have to disagree with ab0si, I found just the opposite when we travelled there.

My husband and I did a month driving around Italy in late May/early June and when we reached Naples, it was so hot and humid, we were buying two bottles of water at a time. One to drink, and the other to pour on our heads. We only stayed in the city about 2 hours and headed back out to our air conditioned hotel. Rome wasn't much better, we would walk for two blocks, then stop and rest in the shade, or go into an air conditioned store just for some relief.

Now granted we live in Southern California, so we don't have quite the humidity that the Southern states or even Michigan have, but I have travelled there enough to know the humidity levels. And I would say Southern Italy and Greece are going to be every bit as hot and humid as Southern states here in the U.S during June.

Not every year is going to be that hot, but I would definitely plan on it if it were me going again.

Weather in June, July and August in the Med is usually dry. But, the temperatures can vary from comfortable (70s to mid 80s) to hot (and sometimes humid). It's almost always comfortable on a moving ship, but you need to pack for both warm and hot weather. In Italy, the area around Rome is often quite humid while we have generally had better weather along the coast and in Naples.

Hank

I have to disagree with ab0si, I found just the opposite when we travelled there.

My husband and I did a month driving around Italy in late May/early June and when we reached Naples, it was so hot and humid, we were buying two bottles of water at a time. One to drink, and the other to pour on our heads. We only stayed in the city about 2 hours and headed back out to our air conditioned hotel. Rome wasn't much better, we would walk for two blocks, then stop and rest in the shade, or go into an air conditioned store just for some relief.

Now granted we live in Southern California, so we don't have quite the humidity that the Southern states or even Michigan have, but I have travelled there enough to know the humidity levels. And I would say Southern Italy and Greece are going to be every bit as hot and humid as Southern states here in the U.S during June.

Not every year is going to be that hot, but I would definitely plan on it if it were me going again.

May is the most humid month in Naples: Average Rel. Humidity: 85 in the morning/58 in the eveving which goes down to 75/58 in June.

These numbers are lower than Springfield, IL summer averages for example. Note that Naples is about as humid as things get in the Med. Greece, for example, will be much drier.

Obviously, I am quoting averages.. any one day or month can be different (that's why they are called averages <grin>)

Having spent some time (not just the odd day) in all those countries in July and August I can tell you that they are generally nothing like as humid as Florida (where I've also spent many weeks during July/August).

However, you say that you plan to visit in June which (with September) is definitely the best time of year for lovely weather, warm (even hot) and rainless, but not particularly humid.

Having spent some time (not just the odd day) in all those countries in July and August I can tell you that they are generally nothing like as humid as Florida (where I've also spent many weeks during July/August).

However, you say that you plan to visit in June which (with September) is definitely the best time of year for lovely weather, warm (even hot) and rainless, but not particularly humid.

Agreed, I've been in the Med in June and August. August can be horribly hot, but not as humid as Florida (I live in Florida) but the intensity of the heat can be high. June is not as bad. You are going in a good month!

Thanks for the info! We can handle hot, it's the hot & humid I was worried about. This June we are going to Orlando, I can get my fill of hot and humid there! Looking forward to Med cruise next summer!

Thanks everyone, you have been very helpfull!!!!!:D

June will be fine. I can't say for the other countries but southern Italy (lived here for almost 3 years) is hot and humid in July and August, in my opinion it is way worse than the southern US (lived on the gulf for 23 years). June is a great time to go! You will have nice, warm weather.

It was very hot but not enough to stop me from going back this summer. the heat in my opinion was dry, like opening up your oven to put a pie inside, very hot and dry- this time I am going to bring an umbrella for shade, I wish I had it last year at pompeii

bring lots of sunscreen

Archived