QM2 Britannia Cabin Choice

NYC123

Would appreciate some advice from those who have been on the QM2 / Britannia. I crossed in a Princess Suite last year so the choice was easier. Am cruising NYC/Canada in Sept -- Balcony Britannia this time -- and would welcome any advice re cabin choice. I am overwhelmed with choices. PS -- Not doing Britannia Club as I hear the dining room is a bit dreary. Many thanks for your input!

Would appreciate some advice from those who have been on the QM2 / Britannia. I crossed in a Princess Suite last year so the choice was easier. Am cruising NYC/Canada in Sept -- Balcony Britannia this time -- and would welcome any advice re cabin choice. I am overwhelmed with choices. PS -- Not doing Britannia Club as I hear the dining room is a bit dreary. Many thanks for your input!

There are quite a few choices for balcony cabins in Britannia. Since you are doing the NYC/Canada cruise, you should be able to enjoy almost any type balcony. If you look at posts on this forum, you can learn a lot about the difference cabin categories. There are also photos of some of the cabins. The "in hull" balconies are on decks 4, 5, and 6. The obstructed view balconies are on deck 8. Those cabins are blocked by life boats. However, there are several threads about those cabins which list specific cabins that have very little obstruction. The glass unobstructed balconies are the A category cabins.

You should consider how much time you spend on your balcony before deciding which category is best for you. Do you plan to sit outside quite a bit? Or do you just walk out on the balcony briefly to get some fresh air?

As you know from your previous voyage, you will have a fabulous time, no matter which cabin you select.

If you have specific questions about cabin categories, please ask.

Beth

Hi, we have cruised several times on QM2 and usually prefer the in hull balcony cabins on decks 4 & 5. I prefer not to go to deck 6 as the promenade deck is just above and I have visions of pounding feet in my ceiling keeping me awake, although I don't know if it is anything like that:D I have also slept in an inside D6 and was very impressed, after all it is usually only somewhere to sleep and dress. I have yet to try a glass fronted balcony, maybe one day the upgrade fairy will oblige:rolleyes:

Hi, we have cruised several times on QM2 and usually prefer the in hull balcony cabins on decks 4 & 5. I prefer not to go to deck 6 as the promenade deck is just above and I have visions of pounding feet in my ceiling keeping me awake, although I don't know if it is anything like that:D I have also slept in an inside D6 and was very impressed, after all it is usually only somewhere to sleep and dress. I have yet to try a glass fronted balcony, maybe one day the upgrade fairy will oblige:rolleyes:

we have tried both and been impressed by both, now I would like to try one of the cosy hull balcony cabins.

Check out our meeting in southapton on may 16th BTW love to see you both there

I have never had a glass balcony but have been lucky to get an in hull balcony once, and I am in the same grade twice more this year. the in hull give nice shelter from the wind which you often need mid Atlantic. Inside cabins are fine but it is nice to get that late night/early morning fresh air.

You are better sticking to the Grills where fellow pax refer to the trip as a voyage. The QM2 is an ocean liner not a cruise ship, this is as stated by Cunard and is not just my opinion.

You could always try Ocean Village.

...or just avoid the QM Norwegian Fjords 'trip' that PortOutStarboardHome is taking.

Fortunately, we have enough AMEX rewards to book the crossing NY to UK this August. Our question is, are we better booking an in-hull balcony cabin, or a balcony cabin on deck 11 with glass? We do enjoy sitting on the balcony in the late afternoon, but based on what I am reading, it would seem that it might be too windy or chilly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Fortunately, we have enough AMEX rewards to book the crossing NY to UK this August. Our question is, are we better booking an in-hull balcony cabin, or a balcony cabin on deck 11 with glass? We do enjoy sitting on the balcony in the late afternoon, but based on what I am reading, it would seem that it might be too windy or chilly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

My advice would be that the prevailing wind combined with the 20 - 25 knot speed of the ship mean that the occasions when it is comfortable to sit on an open balcony would be very rare. I would go with the in hull. One downside is that you can only see the sky when seated on the balcony and to see the water you need to stand up and lean on the rail. No big deal but you should bear it in mind.

Most posters on CC, seem to feel the in-hull balconies are the best balcony cabin for crossings. They offer some shelter from the wind.

How wonderful to have enough rewards for book a crossing. Enjoy!

Beth

H NanceeBee.....my personal choice always is Deck 8, the obstructed balconies. With careful looking it is possible to get a bit of a view between life boats and if by a tender you look through the glass in them. I had one of these for the Tandem crossing in Oct and loved it. I can't prove this but I felt the lifeboats helped divert the wind as I did use my balcony from time to time and didn't blow away even at the high speed the ship was doing.

I've also sailed on Deck 11 full glass balconies but only for a Caribbean....I think you might find for a crossing you'd not use the balcony very much and that high up would be more likely to feel the effects of movement if there were rough seas. Lower is better. But I do love the convenience of Deck 8.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

But I do love the convenience of Deck 8.

Cheers, Penny

I wonder why? Could it be because it is one flight up to your "home"? We are looking forward to experiencing deck 8 forward for the Labor Day 4-nighter. Particularly interested in checking out the Library, which I do not believe I have set foot in before!

Hope all is well. Big hugs.

Michael

I wonder why? Could it be because it is one flight up to your "home"? We are looking forward to experiencing deck 8 forward for the Labor Day 4-nighter. Particularly interested in checking out the Library, which I do not believe I have set foot in before!

Hope all is well. Big hugs.

Michael

Hi Love.....how well you know me!!!;) So convenient for that late night stroll home. You plan to do the library on the 4 nighter? Michael my sweet, this is me you're talking to!!;)

Are you in my cabin?

All is well in the deep south..I'll write....big hugs back!!

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

We are looking forward to experiencing deck 8 forward for the Labor Day 4-nighter. Particularly interested in checking out the Library, which I do not believe I have set foot in before!

I've done 8 deck mid-ships (twice) and aft - as Penny writes, its a jolly convenient deck for the more civilised locations.....as for the 4 day Labor Day crowd....I await your report with interest!

Peter

we have tried both and been impressed by both, now I would like to try one of the cosy hull balcony cabins.

Check out our meeting in southapton on may 16th BTW love to see you both there

We would love to be there, unfortunately I have a prior engagement at Newbury Race course, will check out the October dates though

Archived