trains from London to Harwich

chickalo

We are booked on Constellation Sept. 5th. We will be in London on the 2nd, should we book the train to Harwich now or can it wait until we get to London.

Trains to Harwich leave from Liverpool Street Station in London. Tickets are generally released for sale 3 months in advance so you wouldn't be able to purchase tickets yet. The advantage of booking tickets in advance is that you are likely to obtain a cheaper fare. However, I'm sure that if you left it until you are in London it wouldn't be a problem obtaining tickets.

We were able to just walk up the day of and buy the tickets. Got there about 2 hours early and it was no problem. Last year they were doing maintenance on the tracks the day we were traveling, so they actually put us on a bus. There were probably 30 people taking the trip, so if they had us on a whole train with that number of people, I'm sure there is always plenty of room.

I was concerned the ticket agents might not know what I was talking when buying the tickets, but as soon as I asked for tickets to Harwich, they asked if I wanted the cruise train. It was so easy! The terminal in Harwich shares the parking lot with the ship, so very little walking. Enjoy! This was my most favorite cruise to date and I can't wait to go back!

We are booked on Constellation Sept. 5th. We will be in London on the 2nd, should we book the train to Harwich now or can it wait until we get to London.

Have you been to our roll call? It is fairly active (considering the length of time till the cruise) and we do have additional information regarding the train on that thread! Looking forward to seeing you there! LuAnn

I can only tell you our experience. We took the Gatwick Express to whichever station it takes you to. Took the subway to Liverpool (not an easy feat with cruise luggage), purchased our tickets for Harwich which was already on the tracks even though it wasn't leaving for a while. It saved us a ton of money over some other method of transport. The train was virtually empty so we could each take a seat and snooze (exhausted from flight from US). Our hotel (Pier Hotel in Harwich) was about 2 blocks walk from the station. We woke up during the night (4 or 5 a.m.) to see our ship--Jewel of the Seas cruising by our hotel as it headed back into port. It was just beautiful at night.

Not many people opt for this course but it was great for us. There was one other couple on the train with us doing the same thing (one day pre-cruise).

Hello everyone

Just for reference, as this perhaps won't count if you are coming in from overseas, I have recently had to book a taxi from Stansted airport to Harwich cruise terminal. Got three quotes, and Herts & Essex taxis came in cheapest at £63 for four passengers with two large cases, two small - this is to pick up car after one way cruise on Vision of the Seas to Oslo - www.hertsandessextaxis.com

Other quotes came in considerably higher, so worth giving them a try should you need a quote - might be of use to anyone flying into Stansted from say Scotland or domestic flight....

We have used this train twice. My memory is that trains to Harwich leave about once per hour. The first time we took this train it traveled on the left side tracks, so it stopped right at the ship's luggage location. The second time the train traveled on the right side tracks, so we had to walk to a crossing. Two fellows from the luggage deposit place came over to help, so there was no problem.

If you take a taxi to Liverpool Street Station, be sure to have the driver take you to the station's lower level, where the ticket office and the trains are. This is accessible from a street behind the station. The taxi took us there our second time to the station. Be sure you have a one pound coin to be able to get a luggage cart (trolley for Brits). You can get the coin back when you return the cart at train-side.

If you should be let out of the taxi in front of the station at street level, don't panic. There is an elevator (lift) inside the station all the way down the balcony, which overlooks the main station area, on the left.

I think you will find this information helpful.

Bob :cool:

Archived