Hotel Director- James Deering

fourxk

Does anyone know what ship James Deering is on now (if any). I know he went to the Dawn, but haven't heard anyone mention him recently.

We cruised with him on the Star. He's really a gracious host.

We are scheduled to cruise on the new Jewel next Novenber. Hoping he or someone he's trained will be the director on the ship.

Jane

I hope he still manages to read the boards here at times.

He was an amazing person and truely loved his job. I will continue to search him out. If he is working for another line, my next cruise may be with that line.

Jane

Last year on the Star, he left the ship to go to another one just a few weeks before our cruise. And boy was I bummed! I had heard such wonderful things about him. There ended up a HUGE controversy between some Cruise Critic board members and the new Hotel Director the week we were cruising.

I would have liked to have met him. I also feel kind of bad because I had heard that he was looking for a house here in Hawaii, etc. before the POA came...how sad the way things happened.

Emi

We cruised with him in Feb. '03. He was leaving on vacation the following week. He was to take over the Dawn that fall. I left the boards for awhile, so I don't know the complete saga of POA. I know his wife is from Japan and that is where they make there residence.

Jane

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

As my interview with Mr. Deering suggests :

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/deering/deering.htm

I highly respect him as a hotel director and feel that he is one of the best. I wanted to let you know that I've kept in touch with him and he is doing very well. You may see further news of him on my site as time progresses but he is doing very well and you may be seeing more of him.

Happy New Year!

Steve

Hi Everyone,

As my interview with Mr. Deering suggests :

http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/deering/deering.htm

I highly respect him as a hotel director and feel that he is one of the best. I wanted to let you know that I've kept in touch with him and he is doing very well. You may see further news of him on my site as time progresses but he is doing very well and you may be seeing more of him.

Happy New Year!

Steve

Steve

I loved this quote. Many here should take it to heart:

"In old Latin, the root words for “travel” and “trouble” are the same. Now and again we are reminded of this. Very few cruises are absolutely perfect. Go with the flow. Expect surprises."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Still looking for later infor on Mr. Deering, but find the following note:

Monday, January 10

From the face is familiar but the uniform is different department: Popular NCL hotel director James Deering has changed his venue and yesterday signed onto Holland America's Oosterdam as the hotel director. Deering has had a long career in the cruise industry, becoming practically became an institution as the hotel manager on Norwegian Star, bringing that ship out for NCL and remaining with it on a regular basis until he left it to help in the recruiting and training process for the sister line, NCL America. He also served as hotel director on Pride of Aloha for this ship's initial voyages. Deering said he doesn't know if Oosterdam will be his permanent assignment, or if he'll shortly transfer to another ship, but he is anxious to resume his now-famous wine-tasting seminars again (in which he could never "fully participate" due to company regulations on NCL).

I heard that Mr. Deering is now on the Zuiderdam until late May, and then after a vacation in Japan, will be back on the Oosterdam until it repositions to Mexico in the fall, and then it's back to the Zuiderdam. If you need to locate him, just try all the "dam" ships.

Archived