On Deck for the Cure

Aquarian

Hi everyone, We just were on the Ruby Princess last week and there is an event that I would like to call to everyone's attention. On the second sea day, Princess has a 5k walk to benefit the Susan G. Komen Foundation. For those of you who don't know that name, it is a foundation which was formed to raise money to bring awareness to breast cancer and also to find a cure through research. My husband and I and about 50 other passengers walked around the Ruby Princess on the Promenade Deck 8 times in support of this great organization. We all were given navy ball caps with "On Deck for the Cure" written on them along with the breast cancer pink ribbon symbol. After the walk, we were provided refreshments. To make this even greater, Princess matches every dollar raised during these walks. Our group raised over $1,000! We left our hats on through breakfast and lunch hoping that people would see the hats, inquire about it at passenger services and perhaps make a donation of their own even though they did not walk. My daughter has Stage IV breast cancer so this is near and dear to my heart and has just given me another reason to love Princess Cruise lines. BTW, the Ruby Princess is beautiful and so is her staff.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe HAL started it, but HAL is owned by Carnival - who also owns Princess. I doubt Royal Caribbean does it, and never heard of them doing anything on their own.

I've done it on my past 2 HAL cruises, and will do it again in November. I'm a healthy 7-year survivor myself.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

I am also a 2 time 7 year survivor myself. We did this walk on The Caribbean Princess last year. I did contact RCCL about doing walks, but they sponser Make-A-Wish Foundation. I was told to feel free to organize one amongst yourselves, maybe with a roll call.

http://ww5.komen.org/GetInvolved/PassionatelyPink.html This is a link that can help you get involved & organize something, Hope it helps.

Bless all of you....

~Jackie

Archived