Resident rates vs. standard rates and price drops

chepar

Hi -

Booked a cruise last fall on a standard fare. I've been checking the rates for our cruise on the Celebrity website every so often and sometimes it gives me a "resident" fare, sometimes not. Today a resident fare came up, but it's the first time the resident fare is cheaper than the rate I booked at last year.

I've got a message into my travel agent and haven't heard back yet, but I was wondering if I would be eligible for my cruise fare being lowered. Not sure if it counts as a price drop only if the standard fare is lower than the one I booked at.

I'm far from an expert on fare matters, but my experience has been that, as a resident, you'll be eligible for the fare. A problem may arise, however, if your TA doesn't contact =X= today, because tomorrow the resident fare may have disappeared. Try to get in touch with your TA ASAP.

Senior rates and residenet rates are the 2 major players in discounting. If you qualify, Celebrity will give you that rate even after final payment. The specials that are for new bookings only are the ones that you won't qualify for and cannot get. They even will word the disclaimers so that you cannot cancel and re-book the same cruise at the lower fare.

Wow, I'm hoping this applies. The resident fare still shows on Celebrity's website today. Left another message for my TA and hope she calls me back soon.

I didn't find out about the fare until late yesterday afternoon and with the 5 or 6 hour time difference between us, her office was already closed.

If I manage to get the resident fare, I'll be saving almost $300 per person.

Yay! I finally was able to speak to my TA and the resident rate applies!

It wasn't a straight price drop, though - I got a smaller price drop per person, but was upgraded from an inside to ocean view cabin.

At any rate, I'm very pleased - especially about the ocean view cabin, which I was not willing to spend the extra money for on this cruise.

When you check the fares on the Celebrity website, they also ask you to select from a drop down menu where you live. Sometimes I would have a "resident" fare appear, sometimes not - so I guess it's not always available all the time.

Yay! I finally was able to speak to my TA and the resident rate applies!

It wasn't a straight price drop, though - I got a smaller price drop per person, but was upgraded from an inside to ocean view cabin.

At any rate, I'm very pleased - especially about the ocean view cabin, which I was not willing to spend the extra money for on this cruise.

You might have had to upgrade if the discount only applied to oceanview and higher categories. You cannot be forced to change rooms for a normal discount however.

Keep a daily watch on the prices on the X website. You can get EVERY discount as they arise. It's not a one time deal!! We have had FIVE drops and have saved $2,000 for our category since we booked last year. In the meantime, there have been weeks that the rates haven risen too. The ups and downs of the industry. Passengers are getting on board credits even after final payment. So don't be afraid to ask the TA to work then too!

You might have had to upgrade if the discount only applied to oceanview and higher categories. You cannot be forced to change rooms for a normal discount however.

Keep a daily watch on the prices on the X website. You can get EVERY discount as they arise. It's not a one time deal!! We have had FIVE drops and have saved $2,000 for our category since we booked last year. In the meantime, there have been weeks that the rates haven risen too. The ups and downs of the industry. Passengers are getting on board credits even after final payment. So don't be afraid to ask the TA to work then too!

Just a note...we had a special rate cruise air ticket...and we would have had to lose the special rate and cancel & rebook, to take advantage of the huge drops in price on our last cruise, but the airfare made it about an even break, except some people had gotten as nearly as good fare very early on privately and ended up getting $200 refunds for switching from CC's to Sky Suuites!! really irritated me but thems the breaks!

Archived