When Do MSC Send Out Documents?

Claire O'Brien

Hi all, I am booked on Lirica 27th December and have not heard anything from travel agent in NYC or MSC. I paid in full some months ago.

When do MSC usually send out docs, and will they send them via t/a or direct to me?

I have emailed MSC but never got a reply yet about anything.

Getting worried now, less than 4 weeks to go

In Europe we get ours about 10/14 days prior to departure.

I cannot be certain but believe that USA will be similar.

If you are really worried have your travel agent call MSC for the info.

This is the reply I got for our 27th Dec Lirica departure

"Hello

We are currently sending out the 12th of December. All documents are

fed exed two weeks prior to sail date.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Louise W

Support Agent

Skyauction.com"

Today is December 5th and I do not any documents. My travel agent is checking but can apparently cannot get any info from MSC. We wait and see. In my opinion, this is cutting is just far too close for comfort. I have never had this late ticket delivery so late before.

Today is December 5th and I do not any documents. My travel agent is checking but can apparently cannot get any info from MSC. We wait and see. In my opinion, this is cutting is just far too close for comfort. I have never had this late ticket delivery so late before.

This doesn't sound quite right. It shouldn't be that difficult to determine if MSC has sent documents, as there is an indicator on all MSC confirmations that states exactly the date they were sent. If they have been lost, then either another ticket will be issued or your docs will be pier pick-up. Nothing for you to worry about so long as you are in the final manifest. The final manifest (which is loaded into the onboard computers) is what most cruise lines go by anyway. The ticket is just a formality.

In the future (and many cruise lines are doing this already), cruise tickets will be "edocs" and arrive in your email. This way there are no worries about them getting lost or having to reissue them. Pretty much the same that has happened with air tickets. If you want a paper ticket, you have to pay for it. It saves the airlines millions in distribution costs, and the cruise lines are looking for the same savings.

Ernie

• 5 weeks later...

Today I received tickets for my upcoming MSC OPERA cruise. I don't usually write about tickets, but I think these deserve special mention. For those longing for the "old days" when tickets were truly tickets, and not an airline looking "ticket book" like most cruise lines use today, then MSC is your answer. The tickets arrive in a navy nylon pouch with the MSC logo and "Crociere Italiane" written on the flap. Inside is a nicely bound pocket size book in full color and in five languages that describes all amenities onboard MSC OPERA. Next is a large two color fold out deck plan of the ship, entitled "Piano Sistemazione Passeggeri". It really reminds me of those old tissue deck plans several steamship companies issued many, many years ago. Unfortunately the plan does not show complete details of cabin furniture arrangements, etc. as those older plans did, but it's still very large and fun to look at. Old fashioned baggage tags are included instead of those "sticker strips" that most cruise lines and all airlines use these days. Two postcards of MSC OPERA. A shore excursion book (full color with pictures). A welcome aboard letter which talks about travel documentation, and a letter which details the cruise itinerary. Finally the cruise ticket itself, which reminds me of something I haven't seen in years. A real ticket printed in Italian and English ... very old fashioned but absolutely charming.

To be honest, I feel like I'm about to sail on Sitmar, Home Lines, or the old Costa based on the ticket presentation. I really love it. Computers and modern technology are great, but there is something very personal and even charming about MSC's old fashioned ticket package. I'm hoping I feel the same way about the onboard product.

Ernie

• 3 weeks later...

Much like eroller above, we received our tickets in the blue nylon pouch with similar enclosures. The folder was impressive. We booked an inside cabin guarantee through skyauction.com and I will list time elements and some final comments as we were starting to get anxious as to the status of tickets.

Dec 26/27 - auction successful.

Jan 5/05 - provided names to Skyauction which were forwarded to MSC

Jan 10/05 - contacted Skyauction by email - reply next day, they are awaiting tickets from MSC - good service.

Jan 18/05 - contacted MSC by telephone - advised tickets being sent that day to Skyauction (we're getting anxious) - again good service.

Jan 19/05 - Info on our account updated by Skyauction with Fedex tracking #, along with email to us. Tickets sent out at 5:18 pm from NYC

Jan 20/05 - Tickets at house at 2:19 pm (Really anxious to see which cabin we had) Paid $15 for delivery (Last year with icruise, paid $25 for delivery)

Jan 29/05 is cruise day. (We fly to FLL the day before)

Well, we will have to wait until we get to the ship to learn our cabin number, nothing on ticket other than a cabin for 4 for the two of us. We will be kept in suspense along with our early eating preferance. This was the first time buying/booking through skyauction, the price was right and I would book this way again, based on price. As to the MSC Opera, we are looking forward to it and from some of the comments I have seen in some reviews/postings on various sites, I expect this will be an excellent cruise. I will provide a review afterwards.

Ken

I received my tickets from skyauction on Thursday. Ours show our cabin #, We were also told our cabin number when they confirmed our booking, but we were booked in oceanview. If you are in an inside cabin you were probably booked as guaranteed inside. Cross your fingers for an upgrade.

Much like eroller above, we received our tickets in the blue nylon pouch with similar enclosures. The folder was impressive. We booked an inside cabin guarantee through skyauction.com and I will list time elements and some final comments as we were starting to get anxious as to the status of tickets.

Ken

Ken, we got our tickets last Monday. But unlike you and ernie, mine came in a Black Nylon pouch. Maybe has to do with paying the extra $100pp for veranda? Have our cabin assignments.

Flying down Friday. See ya on board.

Archived