Has anyone booked a cruise using timeshare points?

If so....did it work out well? Were you pleased? My mother just bought into a time share and is excited that she might be able to send us on a cruise using her points. I've read a few reviews and the people werent happy. Hidden fees, limited choices etc.

Thanks for any insight....

We tried that once. The boyfriend's dad has a timeshare over in Switzerland that he never uses (and it's completely paid for). So he gave it to us and it's now in our name. For this upcoming cruise I wanted to trade the timeshare week for our cruise but they wanted us to CALL the hotel in Switzerland, make a reservation for our "designated week" (yes we have the old one where you get a week a year, we're not on the points). Then we had to call the timeshare company back, let them know our confirmation # for our reservation in Switzerland (which I have no desire to ever go to) and then they would see what they could do for us.

Well since NO ONE wants to go to F'ing Switzerland we only qualified for an interior room on an upper deck because the timeshare is only a 1 bedroom, and it's in Switzerland which is NOT a very popular place.

They do base it on the "supply and demand" thing. It depends where your timeshare is, how likely they can re-sell your week if you don't use it, etc. etc. etc.

But yeah, you still have to pay port fees and whatnot. You use your points as a "credit" toward the cruise and you pay any differences. Believe me I asked a TON of questions when we tried to do this.

It was more of a headache than anything.

Edited by RedToasterBox

We have Bluegreen and we have exchanged twice. We had not a prob one. The only thing is the value of the week. Our first was spirit out of San Diego 8 days, we had to pay $600 plus the week, but they did all the work, it all depends on what timeshare you own.

We tried that once. The boyfriend's dad has a timeshare over in Switzerland that he never uses (and it's completely paid for). So he gave it to us and it's now in our name. For this upcoming cruise I wanted to trade the timeshare week for our cruise but they wanted us to CALL the hotel in Switzerland, make a reservation for our "designated week" (yes we have the old one where you get a week a year, we're not on the points). Then we had to call the timeshare company back, let them know our confirmation # for our reservation in Switzerland (which I have no desire to ever go to) and then they would see what they could do for us.

Well since NO ONE wants to go to F'ing Switzerland we only qualified for an interior room on an upper deck because the timeshare is only a 1 bedroom, and it's in Switzerland which is NOT a very popular place.

They do base it on the "supply and demand" thing. It depends where your timeshare is, how likely they can re-sell your week if you don't use it, etc. etc. etc.

But yeah, you still have to pay port fees and whatnot. You use your points as a "credit" toward the cruise and you pay any differences. Believe me I asked a TON of questions when we tried to do this.

It was more of a headache than anything.

Can't you trade yours in (through Interval or RCI) and get a week somewhere you'd like to go? We were given one also in Newport in November . . we've never gone there but always trade it in for a modest charge for a week in the Caribbean somewhere. Love it.

Looked into trading for a cruise a while back and it wasn't worth it for us either . . . especially with the cruise deals out there lately.

We went on the Carnival Liberty in 2007 for a 6 day cruise, 2 cabins, used Bluegreen points and it cost us $29 per cabin (not per person/per day, but literally per cabin). I haven't been able to find as good a deal since ... and I'm picky about how we use those points (b/c we can go to Marathon Key or Miami Beach with them, too ... 2 of my favorite places ... for FREE ... in "timeshare talk" anyway).

I do watch and while they've made it much more difficult to figure it out now, there are some deals that come up ... just nothing since Liberty I've wanted to spend points on. (the cost to book thru Carnival and pay cash ended up being "cheaper" when you take everything into consideration)

Just keep paying attention and make sure there are not any "fees" or charges that you don't know about. In our case, it worked out beautifully ... I think it cost us about 30,000 points for the 2 cabins, both oceanview ... plus the $29 booking fee per cabin.

We used two years worth of our timeshare points and it really didn't cover too much- we ended up paying $1600 total for 3 passengers in a balcony cabin (including taxes, insurance, etc.) The timeshare points ended up being worth about $900. Points may cover an entire cruise if it's an inexpensive cruise.

We have a timeshare through El Cid (which is affiliated with RCI).

• 4 years later...

Hi - not an response to the specific question asked (using points) - but along the same general idea - a cruise from Blue Green - here is our experience

Please don't believe the "free cruise" pitch from Blue Green -

Total scam - we had to pick 3 different cruise dates and pay $100 deposit. Then 2 months later - after you finally jump through hoops (get your certificate - get registered etc etc), you get an email saying you can now call to reserve. We just called - they try to upsell you.

The freebee isn't really free - you have to pay about $500 total for 2 people for "agency fees" plus you also have to pay tips.

Then do you want to upgrade and pay $500 more to upgrade to a better interior cabin or X for ocean view or Y for balcony. I said no upgrade.

They then search my 3 dates that I had to select months ago - 3/8 or 5/3 or 6/9 - surprise - NO CABINS AVAILABLE. They then said there was only ONE SAILING DATE AVAILABLE - COME ON - ONLY ONE DATE IN THE NEXT 6 MONTHS?!?!?

She said if I had upgraded, then maybe a cabin would be available. So - they want you to pay $1000 for 2 people in an interior cabin for a 5 day cruise - you can go online and get the exact same cruise for $800 or less !!!!!! What a scam!!!!

I have not but my in-laws did last year. In exchange for their timeshare week for a 3 bedroom in Orlando they saved around a $100. We had both booked Early Saver, I booked directly through Carnival and filled out the simple form for price drops. My in-laws had to call and argue with the agent at Interval to get price drops. They have said they will never do that again.

We took our first cruise through Wyndham points. We had to cover port charges and taxes but other than that our points covered the cost of the cruise. We haven't used points since only because we use our points to travel to other locations but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if we weren't using them for something else.

This was an old post...

But, RCI used to offer a good program of 1 week of timeshare for a 7 day cruise for 1. Now, that 1 week of timeshare will get you about $100 off rack price. Better to just let the points expire and get a better price elsewhere (at least through RCI).

I have had better luck with their travel agency's prepaid cruise vouchers, but even that is hit or miss unless you already have a specific cruise and price in mind.