Cruisers from the LEFT COAST of the USA- let's talk about our CRUISES..

cctn

I'm sure it was at pier 91 as pier 66 can only take one ship. We did not get down to pier 91, its kind of far, not really in the downtown area, its just down from Magnolia (thats a neighborhood) It is also not very easy to get to, only one road in and out, just a two lane one. I don't think they thought this out very well:eek::confused:.

Hi, Melody. Hoping pier 91 won't be too bad. We'll be there on the 11th. Fortunately, only our little 675 passenger ship (Pacific Princes) will be embarking.

We're hoping to drop our bags there at noon, and get to downtown for a quick visit. Hope it isn't too far.

Frank

We went to Pier 35 today in SF to meet our nephew who works on the Mariner - so I got to see the Mariner sail to the pier and dock - such a gorgeous ship! You are right Melody - it'll dock somewhere in Seattle that's different from the Pier where we docked when we were on the Serenade last yr -

Frankie - have a good cruise and don't forget our lunch!

Hope your Memorial Day Weekend has been nice... carol

Good morning, Carol and all, have a great lunch and get together. Our weather past couple days has really been nice, with a breeze. My poor Car is at the Auto Dr's today and will be there for most of it. We may have to think about replacing it soon.

Gay

Couldn't find any recent news on stowaways. At least not on cruise ships. Let's start howtocruiseforfree.com :)

Ha! ha! that's a great title for a how-to book! we can sleep on deck and just stay awake all night long at the lounges just talking and sitting - buffet meals - no one will ever know we don't belong !! Carol

Hi everyone!

I haven't checked in for a while, just dropped by to say hi to my fellow Left Coast Cruisers!!:). Have been busy on my roll call for the Panama Canal. Happy Memorial Day! I have to work ALL weekend, but do have my usual Tuesday off.

Its been beautiful here in the Seattle area high 70's for the last few days and no end to the good weather in sight. We went down to the waterfront last week and saw the Sapphire Princess at pier 66 (on Tuesday) ships are still being rerouted her from Mexico, don't know when that will end.

Melody:D

Hi Melody

You will love your PC cruise on Infinity. We just did it this month. Unfortunately we missed Mexico but it just gives me another reason to book a cruise :)

Barb

Hi, Melody. Hoping pier 91 won't be too bad. We'll be there on the 11th. Fortunately, only our little 675 passenger ship (Pacific Princes) will be embarking.

We're hoping to drop our bags there at noon, and get to downtown for a quick visit. Hope it isn't too far.

Frank

Hi Frank

We saw the Pacific Princess on our last cruise. She was ported next to a Princess mega cruiser... she certainly did look small. Enjoy your trip

Barb

Hi Frank

We saw the Pacific Princess on our last cruise. She was ported next to a Princess mega cruiser... she certainly did look small. Enjoy your trip

Barb

Thanks!

I wish I'd seen when she was in SF Bay. In February, in Antigua, we were on the Caribbean Princess and parked next to the Azamara Journey (sister ship of the 3 small Princess ships). We've kicked around cruising Azamara because we really like that class of ship.

2 weeks from today! I was just looking at someone's photos who just got back. They had this shot of about 25 eagles in a single tree. Amazing! Yes, we're getting pretty excited!!

My friend from FL is going on her first cruise to AK - on Princess line's Island Princess -I need to look up the info on that ship, but I am thinking it's small too. They got a balcony,mid ship - 7 on board and 7 land tour.

On our first AK trip - we did Princess, and only time we ever did a cruiseline other than RCCL - it was an old old ship - Fair Princess - but it was so quaint and cute that I sure enjoyed her... she was small - she was docked next to the Legend and at that time, the Legend was brand new and so big-- what a difference.

The Fair Princess was so old that we got a cabin where they couldn't put the two twin beds together! the closet space was huge and so was the bathroom!

Frankie: enjoy your cruise! Carol

My friend from FL is going on her first cruise to AK - on Princess line's Island Princess -I need to look up the info on that ship, but I am thinking it's small too. They got a balcony,mid ship - 7 on board and 7 land tour.

On our first AK trip - we did Princess, and only time we ever did a cruiseline other than RCCL - it was an old old ship - Fair Princess - but it was so quaint and cute that I sure enjoyed her... she was small - she was docked next to the Legend and at that time, the Legend was brand new and so big-- what a difference.

The Fair Princess was so old that we got a cabin where they couldn't put the two twin beds together! the closet space was huge and so was the bathroom!

Hi Carol

The Island Princess is NOT small. Don't know the stats on her, but my in-laws have sailed on her through the Panama canal and to Alaska. Through the canal they said that she JUST fit!! When they went to Alaska we went down to meet them in Seattle and she is big. Granted she was the first cruise ship that i ever saw in person and I was speechless (very hard for me:eek:;))

The first cruise ship I was on was the Sun Princess and she's very small. Beautiful ship, but small. We had a balcony and the front was a big piece of metal, not glass, made it hard to sit and watch the sea go by! The metal was also pretty rusty:eek:.

Hi Carol

The Island Princess is NOT small. Don't know the stats on her, but my in-laws have sailed on her through the Panama canal and to Alaska. Through the canal they said that she JUST fit!! When they went to Alaska we went down to meet them in Seattle and she is big. Granted she was the first cruise ship that i ever saw in person and I was speechless (very hard for me:eek:;))

The first cruise ship I was on was the Sun Princess and she's very small. Beautiful ship, but small. We had a balcony and the front was a big piece of metal, not glass, made it hard to sit and watch the sea go by! The metal was also pretty rusty:eek:.

I finally saw the pic and she is big - I am so excited for my friend...she and her husband are celebrating their 25th wedding anniv! Carol

The first cruise ship I was on was the Sun Princess and she's very small.

Island Princess: 1,970 pass

Sun Princess: 1,950 pass

Pacific, Tahitian, Royal Princess: 670 pass

Island and Sun are not the same class, but pretty close in size. These are all small compared to Caribbean Princess at 3,120! I think half the Princess ships (anything bigger than Island and Sun) can't make it through Panama.

Tahitian (now Ocean) - NICE size! - shot with telephoto lens, so perspective a bit odd.

190443429_ynXRk-M.jpg

In this shot that's the Azamara Journey (same class as Pacific Princess) behind Caribbean Princess....

480741182_MCeoc-M-1.jpg

Thanks!

Fair Princess looks like a great ship. Do you have photos? My first "cruise" (since it was really "transportation") was on the old Maasdam. I was 4 and we were immigrating to the US from the Netherlands.

Amazing to me is:

Pacific Princess - 670 passengers - 30,000 tons

Maasdam (4)- 893 passengers - 15,000 tons

Guess we're cruisin' a little more comfortably now. :D

maasdam-ship.jpg

Very first Ocean Liner as she was referred to then, was the Queen of Bermuda. We sailed her back to New York from Bermuda. I was a mere 12 yrs old. Found a photo of her on the Web, she si the one on the Right with 3 stacks.http://www.alvajames.co.uk/index_files/Page813.htm.

My sisters and my room were bunk beds I believe with a tiny dresser and port hole. I recall to walk a mile, took 7 trips around the deck.

Gay

My scanner is not working or I would post my first ship way back in 1957 when I was an 'infant' heehee!! no, I was 7 -- and my mom and I went from SF to Manila - took 3 weeks but it was fun - US President Wilson - American Lines - we stopped all over Asia - it was in July when we went and came back in Oct - it was also meant as "transportation" but there were lots of folks and it was considered a cruise for all. I just found the postcard onEbay a while back and bought it for $5 ...

so now hubby has been teasing me cuz I buy loads of postcards of the ships I have been on and he tells me, ok, 50 yrs from now!!(ha!ha!) you can sell all these postcards for $5 each and make a mint!

Ships have sure changed - I remember being in awe of the Sovereign when we first sailed on her in 1988 - the biggest ship then - and now.... the Oasis... Allure...

Carol

Thanks, Carol and Gay. I'm really enjoying looking at these old ships. Do you think anyone will try to make a retro-design ship today? I guess it would never accommodate a bazillion balconies. :rolleyes: But I love the single stack, low look.

Tried to look up the Fair Princess and couldn't find it. Then realized it used to be the RMS Carinthia (1956). It had a long run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Carinthia_(1956)

Carol - Are you bringing your postcard collection tomorrow? ;)

The pool on that ship was so small, that you took your life in your hands getting out one day due to the wave action. We had the first Flow Rider. :D

As you went for the stairs, you had to time the waves going away or you'd get slammed into the stair ladder. Twice, one lady litterally got tossed out, so they decided to close the pool down. :eek: At 12 I thought it was a blast . LOL

Gay

We just completed a 10 San Diego to Alaska on the Radiance. It's wonderful having great ships now on the west coast, flying across country is a pain especially with fees for luggage:( (hint: fly Southwest, no fees). Looking forward to another 10 day cruise on the Radiance in Dec. out of San Diego.:)

Archived